Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 11:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Minimum height of Dell U2412M monitor?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by Intheswamp. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2017 11:00 |  #1

I'm thinking seriously of replacing my generic Dell monitor (old 1907FP). My system is an old refurbed Optiplex 2core 3ghz motherboard with 12 gigs of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD3400 pci video card. A real screamer, eh? :-)

Anyhow, I figured I'd at least upgrade the monitor. I tried to calibrate the two monitors that I have on hand with a Spyder4Elite...the Dell 1907FP and also an old NEC 1990SX. Both monitors could not come anywhere close to the brightness that the Spyder recommended.

I've seen really good recommendations and reviews regarding the Dell U2412M but I'm limited on space. I only have 17 inches of vertical space to work with. The specs seem to state that the monitor (with stand) sits at 21+ inches. The specs for most other monitors give a variable measurement (raising and lowering) for the height but I only see one for the U2412M.

Could someone give me the minimum height of their U2412M? And, will the monitor work ok with my aging computer?
Thanks!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 07, 2017 11:30 |  #2

Or, if someone has a recommendation on a sub-$250 (sub $200 even better!) monitor that would be great, too. This computer is used for everything but I would like a decent monitor for the hobbiest/beginner photo editing that I do.

Thanks again!
Ed

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,284 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2017 11:39 |  #3

You could try phoning Dell. Maybe it does not have a stand that permits height to be adjusted. My 27" (not Dell) 2560x1440 monitor has no height adjustment

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2017 12:00 |  #4

The way I read Dell's specs the height (with stand) is specified as 20.22 (extended) and 15.69 (compressed). Elsewhere the adjusment of the stand is specified as 4.5 inches. Doing the math, extended minus compressed should equal the stand adjustment. 20.22 - 15.69 = 4.53 which checks with the specified value.

In theory it would fit in your 17 inch space with the stand almost completely collapsed. Keep in mind as well this monitor has a fully rotating display which introduces another wrinkle in that you would likely not be able to rotate from landscape to portrait.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 07, 2017 12:31 |  #5

Hey Wilt. I just got back from surfing Amazon's "questions" about the U2412M. I found one user that responded to an inquiry about the minimum height, the user stated 15-5/8" with the monitor collapsed as low as it will go. This would work fine with our computer hutch...but, but when I mentioned something to my wife about getting a new monitor she said she'd like to get a new hutch so more researching to be done.<sigh>

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 07, 2017 12:36 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18236569 (external link)
The way I read Dell's specs the height (with stand) is specified as 20.22 (extended) and 15.69 (compressed). Elsewhere the adjusment of the stand is specified as 4.5 inches. Doing the math, extended minus compressed should equal the stand adjustment. 20.22 - 15.69 = 4.53 which checks with the specified value.

In theory it would fit in your 17 inch space with the stand almost completely collapsed. Keep in mind as well this monitor has a fully rotating display which introduces another wrinkle in that you would likely not be able to rotate from landscape to portrait.

Thanks for that confirmation on the height. You probably saw my comment to Wilt above about the new aspect of a new workcenter/hutch/whate​ver. The small space we have our current computercenter in is rather small...only about 36 inches...I'm having a problem finding much of anything that will fit in that space. We may opt to move the computer to a regular desk, but that desk sits in front of a window which would be terrible (for me, at least) in viewing photos. Seems I've stepped off into some kind of quicksand... :rolleyes:

Ed

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,284 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Wilt.
Jan 07, 2017 13:02 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #7

Is the hutch adjustable for height? And maybe you need to put up a curtain rod on that window, from which you can hang a blackout curtain for the photo editing sessions!

:p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 07, 2017 13:58 |  #8

Intheswamp wrote in post #18236611 (external link)
but, but when I mentioned something to my wife about getting a new monitor she said she'd like to get a new hutch so more researching to be done.<sigh>

Ed

Well we know the likely winner in that battle but do keep in mind that the U2412M also can be wall mounted without the stand. Perhaps that is an alternative.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 07, 2017 18:18 |  #9

Intheswamp wrote in post #18236620 (external link)
We may opt to move the computer to a regular desk, but that desk sits in front of a window which would be terrible (for me, at least) in viewing photos.

That doesn't seem like a problem that can't be easily remedied. As Wilt suggested, just hang something dark and/or something solid over the window.

I have my computer set up in my living room, which is small, but has one big window and a huge picture window. I just keep 'em shuttered up at all times, and it is as dark as night in here, even at 12 noon on a sunny day!

At my old place, there were 3 windows and a sliding glass door surrounding my computer. I just got big cardboard boxes, broke 'em down flat, then cut out panels of the cardboard to fit over my windows and door. Then I duct taped the cardboard so that it blocked out all light permanently and completely. Worked like a charm.

Of course, I can never see out my windows.....but then why would I ever want to??? I already know what is outside, and the view isn't majestic or anything, so no need to see it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 07, 2017 18:25 |  #10

The way I read Dell's specs the height (with stand) is specified as 20.22 (extended) and 15.69 (compressed). .....

Juts under 16" here at home :) ie: 17" should clear.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 07, 2017 19:10 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18236970 (external link)
Juts under 16" here at home :) ie: 17" should clear.

Had you quoted all I said, then you would not have had to say anything!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 07, 2017 19:27 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #18237007 (external link)
Had you quoted all I said, then you would not have had to say anything!

I was agreeing with you, and pointing out to the OP that I had one set up in front of me to confirm! :)

and FYI to rotate to portrait, yes, one must extend the height to nearly the highest setting. It ends up approx 24" tall then.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 07, 2017 20:24 |  #13

Tom, thanks for the ideas on shades and cardboard. The computer currently sits in the corner of our dining room. We live in a house built post-WWII when glass was CHEAP...with three 4x5 windows...lots of cardboard. Something tells me my wife *might* not approve. ;)

Back in the back bedroom I use to run my ham radios (qrp) and could move the computer back there...which would entail me having to finally clean up a bunch of my old ham stuff...my wife would like that...cleaning up my stuff, that is. :rolleyes:

CDS, thanks for the confirmation on the height. Btw, your glowing admiration of this monitor is one thing that got me to look seriously at it. You know, I think I might just go ahead and get it...maybe we'll eventually figure out a new hutch/location for the computer.<grin>

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 08, 2017 23:03 |  #14

I ordered one this afternoon...should be here towards the end of the week. Does anyone know if Dell is going to or already has discontinued this monitor? I believe it was on Adorama's site that they showed "low quantity" and "clearance".

Thanks for all of the feedback and help!
Ed

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Bleufire.
Jan 10, 2017 08:16 |  #15

Intheswamp wrote in post #18238325 (external link)
I ordered one this afternoon...should be here towards the end of the week. Does anyone know if Dell is going to or already has discontinued this monitor? I believe it was on Adorama's site that they showed "low quantity" and "clearance".

Thanks for all of the feedback and help!
Ed

Doubt it. It seems too popular. Dell still has this monitor on their site:
http://accessories.us.​dell.com ...&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=21​0-AGSS (external link)

They don't even show the 5K monitor (UP2715K) on there anymore oddly.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links

3,270 views & 3 likes for this thread
Minimum height of Dell U2412M monitor?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.