Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 09 Jan 2017 (Monday) 08:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by -Duck-.
Jan 10, 2017 20:24 |  #31

This stupidity has gone on long enough.

Your Mommy will tell you, "you can be anything you want to be." I'll tell you you can't.
Mommy will say, "you're perfect just the way you are." Well, that's not going to get you far in the real world.

I don't sugar coat things to appease someone just to avoid confrontations. Life's too short and it doesn't solve the problem. Trying to sell me something you know nothing about has zero relevance to the amount of money you get paid to do the job. I get paid really good money for what I do. Does this mean I should be able to sell the science department at MIT a neutron collider? No, let's keep it more realistic. How about I sell you a car? I'm mechanically inept when it comes to vehicles. That's why I pay a mechanic. You ask me about OHV or OCV or whatever the acronym is and I won't have a clue. Perhaps you just want me to sound like I know what I'm selling and blurt out some important sounding statistic in hopes you don't call me out. Who's the fool in that scenario? The idiot trying to pass off bogus information or the idiot thinking the bogus information is legit? But, no, let's defend the idiots because they are poor low wage earners.

When has complacency become so much the norm?

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links
-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 10, 2017 20:27 |  #32

My apologies to Dlee13 for such a derailed thread. It was a good one until the trolls started in with their defense of the complacent.

Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Jan 10, 2017 20:49 |  #33

Just calling a spade a spade as I see it. Wonder what you do to jerk the poor soul at the McDonalds drive thru.

Done here. Like I said, you played your hand in your first post. You had spare time so you decided to harass the poor kid at the camera counter of Best Buy. Hope it made you feel big.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Jan 10, 2017 21:07 |  #34

One of the upstanding salespeople at Abes of Maine: "Sure I can get that order for your Sigma lens placed. Are you sure you don't want to spend the extra $100 to get the retail model with the front and rear lens caps and tripod foot?"

Me: "I want the one I ordered at the price I ordered it for, and if the box is missing the lens caps or tripod foot I will be refusing delivery."

Surprise surprise, the lens came with the caps and tripod foot. Overall it was a good deal, but I felt like I needed a shower after placing my order. Will stick with the trustworthy vendors from now on.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 10, 2017 21:17 |  #35

Hogloff wrote in post #18240536 (external link)
Just calling a spade a spade as I see it. Wonder what you do to jerk the poor soul at the McDonalds drive thru.

Done here. Like I said, you played your hand in your first post. You had spare time so you decided to harass the poor kid at the camera counter of Best Buy. Hope it made you feel big.

Again, you are reading more into that post than what's there. There was no harassment, no evil intentions, He didn't even realize what the situation was. The only one here with the overbearing ego is you, thinking you're better than me because of some perceived social injustice. But you are right, you are so much better than I am. I can see that, so I concede. You win. Feel better.

Gart
Joined Sep 2007
D/FW metro
Jan 10, 2017 21:37 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #36

Thanks TreeburnerCT for trying to get this thread back on its original track.

Gart

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 10, 2017 21:51 as a reply to Gart's post |  #37

Yes, Joe, sorry you had to come in on all that. It's "beat up on Duck" day I guess.
Hopefully I'll still see you (and your Sigma) on the 22nd and we'll have a good laugh at this.

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Jan 10, 2017 22:11 |  #38

-Duck- wrote in post #18238673 (external link)
I love pretending I know nothing about cameras whenever I am in one of these big box stores (like Best Buy). I'll purposely ask more advanced questions just to test the poor fools.

Wow, this is just terrible and petty

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Luxx
466 posts
Joined Jan 2013
St Louis
Jan 10, 2017 22:17 |  #39

I was at a local camera store listening to someone selling the 75-300 as a great sports lens...I thought that was pretty cringe worthy.

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 10, 2017 22:18 |  #40

panicatnabisco wrote in post #18240610 (external link)
Wow, this is just terrible and petty

Been there, done that. I get it. Don't add to an already bad situation please.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jan 10, 2017 22:26 |  #41

-Duck- wrote in post #18240520 (external link)
My apologies to Dlee13 for such a derailed thread. It was a good one until the trolls started in with their defense of the complacent.

Haha it's ok, I was wondering why this thread had so many unread posts... :lol:

I actually thought if any comment so far was gonna start a war it was this:

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18239679 (external link)
"Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?"

Nikon is a good camera.

LOL

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Jan 10, 2017 23:03 |  #42

On being asked the difference between 2 equivalent models, one from Nikon and the other from Canon: "I've just done a photography course. All of my friends shoot Canon. Just buy the Canon."

Cheers, Damien

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jan 10, 2017 23:42 |  #43

Hogloff wrote in post #18240447 (external link)
Yeh, I sort of have the same feeling. Hope he felt good putting down a kid making minimum wage trying to get by. Amazing how some people are born with all this knowledge and were never naive kids trying to make a go at it.

He said that the kid was happy he stepped in to help... so what's your issue?

Hogloff wrote in post #18240448 (external link)
So you actually go into Best Buy to get information on anything? Yeh...let's hear another one.

I mean, I like for them to have some resemblance of knowledge, yes. If I go in asking for a UHS-1 card I'd appreciate not getting a blank stare (as I did when I did that very thing). I'd also appreciate an employee who didn't try telling me that "Nothing beats a Sony a7R for mirrorless" after I had already stated that I owned one and didn't like it :lol: , but at least that guy knew something about the products he was selling.

OhLook wrote in post #18240451 (external link)
Duck has explained that he felt good helping the customers who weren't getting the information they needed. Presumably the kid got the commission on the sale, which he wouldn't have got if the customers had given up and left without buying. In that way, Duck also helped the kid. Why be so ready to attribute bad motives to someone you don't know?

This.

Hogloff wrote in post #18240457 (external link)
I don't care what Duck's intentions were...his gloating about it on this forum tells me all.

So... did you not read the thread title, or...?

Hogloff wrote in post #18240473 (external link)
Ducky...here is your first post in this thread:

"I love pretending I know nothing about cameras whenever I am in one of these big box stores (like Best Buy). I'll purposely ask more advanced questions just to test the poor fools."

You can back track all you want...but your colours were shown with your first post.

You get your kicks feeling superior to the kids working minimum wages at Best Buy?

I worked several minimum wage (or just above it) jobs when I was a teenager, I excelled in all of them and guess what, started earning more than minimum wage because I cared about what I did, I learned about the things I was selling even if they didn't interest me... because that was my job.

Anwyay, back to the topic on hand and further appologies to the TS, but this kind of blind SJW stuff boils my blood.

I've overheard way more ridiculous things in regards to TV salesman than Cameras at my local stores thankfully, usually I just get the occasional guy who tries to talk me into switching back into a DSLR system, or to get a full frame camera (been there, done that), but I give kudos to those guys for at least knowing something about the stuff they're selling.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by -Duck-.
Jan 11, 2017 00:27 |  #44

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jan 11, 2017 02:33 |  #45

-Duck- wrote in post #18240702 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by -Duck- in
./showthread.php?p=182​40702&i=i88962858
forum: General Photography Talk

Is that in illustration of Ken Rockwell? :p

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links

6,717 views & 51 likes for this thread
Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.