Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 08 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 12:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I hate Starlings

Eastcoast
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Eastcoast.
Jan 08, 2017 12:30 |  #1

I hate starlings, I find they're extremely aggressive, crowd out the other birds, strip my feeder of food in an instant and yet .....

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/474/32152412946_31fd76baea_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com ...32152412946/in/date​taken/] (external link)
European Starling 2017 (external link) by East Coast (external link) on Flickr

John
Be careful out there!

sponsored links
greyswan
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Jan 08, 2017 15:09 |  #2

...they're cute...:lol:

Nice iridescence.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

CaptBob
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2011
Plantation Fl
Jan 09, 2017 14:12 |  #3

haha- indeed

1DS,1Dmk4,1DXmk2,500 F4 IS mk1,100-400 mk2,IS,24-105 F4L, canon 1.4xmk3, 2xmk3

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Jan 10, 2017 05:28 |  #4

Yep, that's a starling!  :p

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 10, 2017 07:48 |  #5

Flyin' rat!!!!

www.beeweather.comexternal link

GeoffSFAs10
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Joined Jul 2007
St.Louis, MO
Jan 10, 2017 08:58 |  #6

nope...still just vermin.

5Dc | 7D | 17-40 | 85 F1.8 | 40 STM | 28-135 | 100-400 | 550EX
"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all"
Flickr (external link)

trmwf
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
Sharps Chapel, Tenn
Jan 11, 2017 07:04 |  #7

nice job, they do make for a very nice subject in the right light and when they behave. really a pretty bird......at times

Mike

dm1215al
Joined Nov 2016
Riverview, FL USA
Jan 11, 2017 11:01 |  #8

How can you hate that face?:-P

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 11, 2017 14:36 |  #9

dm1215al wrote in post #18241004 (external link)
How can you hate that face?:-P

Hmm, by knowing that this imported noxious species will stand over a purple martin inside it's next cavity and peck it to death...adults, fledglings, nestlings, and of course eggs, stand no chance against this killer. They seriously can affect the local native bird population. When their beaks have recently turned bright yellow they are the deadliest....it's breeding/nesting season for them *and* the natives.

Not just purple martins are victims...any other cavity dwellers that the starling wishes to steal a nest cavity from is in peril. Smaller native birds such as chickadees and tits are at the mercy of the smaller vermin...the European weaver finch, aka the white throated house sparrow, aka "the-cute-little-bird-with-the-french-fry-in-its-beak-at-McDonalds". This smaller flying vermin is also referred to as a flying mouse. They simply enter the smaller native species' next cavities and destroyed all the eggs...they have been known to kill the parents but mostly just bust the eggs.

Sorry to rant. Can you tell I don't like these birds. Oh, and I must say...Thank you, William!!!

Anyhow, it's a very good image of the European starling with all of it's Quaker State 30W-HD sheen to it....maybe we should say "EU Starling" now? ;)

greyswan
Joined Dec 2007
Ontario Canada
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by greyswan. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 13, 2017 05:05 |  #10

Unfortunately a lot of the 'vermin' have been the result of human meddling in the natural order of things - I can't hate something that, like the rest of us, is just trying to survive in it's circumstances. If habitat wasn't being destroyed and poisoned at such an enormous rate, the locals might have a chance. Twenty years ago I could go on a 50km drive in the countryside and my windshield would be splattered with bugs - I haven't had to clean it in years. The insect population is crashing badly IMO from chemical overuse here in southeast Canada.

I still like the little starlings though, many years ago I saw some huge murmurations, absolutely stunning sights. I miss seeing that.

Starlings aren't the only aggressive species either - hummingbirds are some of the most ferociously aggressive little birds I've ever seen, lol.

It is indeed a beautiful capture of the little bugger! :lol:

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 13, 2017 05:21 |  #11

I guess cogongrass, kudzu, fire ants, and africanized honeybees are just trying to survive, too...

I agree with the problem of progress and pesticides really hurting our micro and macro environments but for these imported species I have no love.

Pippan
534 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Jan 13, 2017 05:27 |  #12

greyswan wrote in post #18242929 (external link)
Unfortunately a lot of the 'vermin' have been the result of human meddling in the natural order of things - I can't hate something that, like the rest of us, is just trying to survive in it's circumstances. If habitat wasn't being destroyed and poisoned at such an enormous rate, the locals might have a chance. Twenty years ago I could go on a 50km drive in the countryside and my windshield would be splattered with bugs - I haven't had to clean it in years. The insect population is crashing badly IMO from chemical overuse here in southeast Canada.

I still like the little starlings though, many years ago I saw some huge murmurations, absolutely stunning sights. I miss seeing that.

Starlings aren't the only aggressive species either - hummingbirds are some of the most ferociously aggressive little birds I've ever seen, lol.

It is indeed a beautiful capture of the little bugger! :lol:

And the most aggressive species of all ... humans!

sponsored links

1,547 views & 14 likes for this thread
I hate Starlings
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.