Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 12 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Salvatore Bug Out Bag for $149 (pre-production)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Jan 12, 2017 15:14 |  #1

A photography buddy shared this on FB and after looking it over I pulled the trigger on it. Looks like it could be an awesome bag for a wedding / event photographer. I'm planning on using it to take plenty of equipment on vacations and not have to use my photography backpack as my carry on, which is what I've had to do up until this point. I might get some event use out of it as well at more laid back events that I'm not dual wielding at. They claim it's starting out at $300 so $149 is a heck of a deal right now, even if it's not coming out until April. http://www.salvatoreth​estore.com/bug-out-bag/ (external link)

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,802 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 12, 2017 18:05 |  #2

Ok, I was a bit concerned about the size for fitting bodies with lens mounted, but the lens changer!?

Bag looks awesome. Watch video for best explanation of the way it works, the photos and description are fine but the video really explains it best.

I was going to buy,.. but really on the checkout process? How many clicks? How much Info does he need? A single paypal button would have been more sensible,

And the price FYI is NOT $149.00

He is charging $20.00 shipping even if you live next door, so the PRICE is in fact $170.00.

This was very tempting but setting up a store front, products categories, and shopping cart, grabbing all that info, when there is only ONE product available, with no paypal option, I mean what's my account and info for, I can't go back to buy anything else,.

Oh well, just my take. To bad it looks like a fantastic bag.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Jan 12, 2017 18:29 |  #3

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18242519 (external link)
Ok, I was a bit concerned about the size for fitting bodies with lens mounted, but the lens changer!?

Bag looks awesome. Watch video for best explanation of the way it works, the photos and description are fine but the video really explains it best.

I was going to buy,.. but really on the checkout process? How many clicks? How much Info does he need? A single paypal button would have been more sensible,

And the price FYI is NOT $149.00

He is charging $20.00 shipping even if you live next door, so the PRICE is in fact $170.00.

This was very tempting but setting up a store front, products categories, and shopping cart, grabbing all that info, when there is only ONE product available, with no paypal option, I mean what's my account and info for, I can't go back to buy anything else,.

Oh well, just my take. To bad it looks like a fantastic bag.

I was a bit put off by the no paypal option as well, but that was my only issue. I don't remember it asking for much info honestly. Just normal shipping info (name, address, etc.) then on billing I simply put in the card number and checked "same as shipping" for all the info. I don't even remember it asking for a phone number, but maybe it did.

And as far as the buying other things, you can return to the store and the bag will remain in your cart. I know because I did it while I was finalizing the specs to make sure it was something I could use. They have many other products to buy as well. A lot of straps. So this is not the only product available.

P.S. The $20 shipping is a bummer, but if the bag is really going to sell for $300 on launch, then $170 is still a hell of a deal to be able to carry 3 speedlights, a DSLR and 3 lenses, accessories, and have that lens changer in what appears to be a medium sized messenger bag.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 12, 2017 18:35 |  #4

Looks good but a bit incomplete. For the moment I'll assume that the shorter pockets can hold a 24-70 and 16-35. Like Jake says, the lens changer pocket is a gamechanger. I'm surprised nobody thought of that before because they're pretty common on shooting bags (dump pouch).

But I wonder if Salvatore never had to shoot go in and out of the rain during a wedding? While I like how the flash pockets hang off the back of the bag, did I miss the rain flap to protect those pockets?

Finally, what happens if he doesn't reach his funding target? Will everyone get a full refund, and if so, when?

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,802 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 12, 2017 23:35 |  #5

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18242545 (external link)

Finally, what happens if he doesn't reach his funding target? Will everyone get a full refund, and if so, when?

FAQ at bottom of the page says this;

- Is there any risk I will lose my money?

NO. There is no scenario you will not get your bag. We are a very reputable company. If for any reason there are issues with fulfillment you will get a full refund. Our company - Behindtheshutter.com and Shutter Magazine are leaders in the photography industry.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,802 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 12, 2017 23:42 |  #6

P.S. OK I caved,.

I have a very specific use for this bag,. and it would be the event/venue bag. I hate lens changes in those situations, and usually avoid them to a degree that I may wear the wrong lens for far too long. I can easily see this being a solution for one body, multiple lens shooting that would be hard to beat.

This just became the 2nd most expensive bag I have ever purchased. (my TT Retrospectives were on clearance )

thanks for the heads up on this Jarvis!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Jan 13, 2017 07:19 |  #7

Thanks for the link. I forwarded it to my three working photographer friends.

My Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jan 13, 2017 21:21 |  #8

All that is needed is a large flap sewn (or a zipper to allow you to remove it if not desired) to the lid of the lens compartment that goes over the backside with a velcro holder to protect the 3 flashes. Seems like a pretty large oversight IMO. The other thing for me is that I need to take 2 bodies and 2 lenses, and it looks like it would be nearly impossible to store that (7D + 24-70 and 5D4 + 70-200).

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,802 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 13, 2017 22:28 |  #9

For a lot of what I do as well, no this is too small.
It is clearly not going to be a two body bag.

But that is a use for which the field is quite full already between ThinkTank, Domke etc.

I am intrigued at it being a medium sized one body kit bag that allows a helping hand for lens changes. It will not replace my TT Retro 40 or 20.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jan 13, 2017 22:43 |  #10

I just leave a spare lens spot in the bag and this become the lens swap area for me. Doesn't always work if I need to take that one extra lens for a shoot though.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 14, 2017 00:19 |  #11

I pick up his magazine whenever I see it. He is good at branding for sure. I have too many bags as it is even though this one looks tempting.
Please post pix when you get yours.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

tandemhearts
Joined Mar 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Jan 14, 2017 08:54 |  #12

This pretty interesting, but I don't see how they can reach their funding goal. On Kickstarter, they reached 37k out of 100k. Without the exposure that being on Kickstarter brings, I don't see how they can close that gap.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 14, 2017 09:01 |  #13

The perks weren't that good... There is no way that bag will retail for $300, there are entirely too many other great options out there. So the perks of backing the kickstarter project was to pay what the bag might be worth and that is pushing it. $170 for that bag seems a bit much to me, and I have gone through my fair share. Some of my favs are the Kata line, and strangely even the Canon DG100 large shoulder bag is a great bag for $50 and can hold just about everything this one will. It just looks ugly and cries out "steal me".

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
Philaburbia
Jan 18, 2017 19:36 |  #14

no way to get two bodies in here eh?

BAG Reviews, master list!
Nikon D850/750, Sigma 12-24 f4 Art, Nikkor Glass: 20 f1.8G ED, 28 f1.4E ED FL, 58 f1.4G, 105 f1.4E ED FL, 70-200 f2.8E VR ED FL, 24-70 f2.8E VR ED FL
Sony RX100V

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Jan 18, 2017 21:44 as a reply to Dj R's post |  #15

Looks like only room for a camera body and 2 short lenses, but not a long and short lens. Fine if you shoot prime like me, though.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

8,055 views & 25 likes for this thread
Salvatore Bug Out Bag for $149 (pre-production)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.