Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Jan 2017 (Friday) 02:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rechargable batteries for Strobes?

eventsof1768
Joined May 2010
Jan 14, 2017 05:26 |  #16

I'm not sure about USA, but in Australia the eneloops are from china and no different from any other rechargeable. The eneloop pro are made in Japan and good quality though (made by fujitsu). A budget alternative is the Ikea Ladda batteries - they come out of the same japanese factory. Not sure if they're available in the USA. I also read that amazon's rechargables are also from said factory - but do your research

instagramexternal link
onwhite photographyexternal link
facebookexternal link
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 14, 2017 08:03 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18243782 (external link)
In addition to the reasons already posted that rechargeable out perform Alkaline, another aspect is the performance curve.

When you install a set of Alkalines right out of the package, they may indeed put out more than 1.5 volts. However, the power begins to drop off almost immediately with use. As the charge drains the voltage drops, precipitously.

With NIMH that drop is far less of cliff,. and remains a flat voltage for some time and then voltage only really drops at the end of it's charge.

So not only do you get more than double the power/life of the battery, that power is at a good higher voltage for the entire life, and with less resistance for faster recycles.

QUOTED IMAGE

This is the key difference between NiMH and alkalines, at least as I always understood it.

I used to do a lot of shooting for my job that was at temperatures just above freezing and with the flash often at or near full power. That would tear through alkalines in no time, NiMH would continue to perform for much, much longer.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,358 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 14, 2017 08:20 |  #18

I am reminded of an electrical engineering "lab" class many years ago probably involving NiCads vs. alkalines. The purpose of the class was to do current vs. time plots but while doing that an individual asked almost exactly the question posed here concerning recycle time. The instructor took an alkaline and simply shorted the terminals - no big deal. The battery could have been dead for all we knew. He then shorted a NiCad and the result was a huge spark. He then posed the question, which do you think has the shorter recycle time?

I don't recommend you test this unless you wear a decent set of protective gloves and good eye protection. A risk of a fire hazard is actually possible with shorted terminals, hence the reason why rechargeable batteries can only be carried on a plane (carry-on only) with the terminals covered or installed in a device in the normal manner.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 14, 2017 10:17 |  #19

ChibiM wrote in post #18243908 (external link)
Im very much interested in some new tests and im curious what batteries you are going to test SYS.

While I won't get to posting the results for another two weeks or so, I can tell you these are the batteries I'm testing:

Amazon Basics 2400 mAh
Duracell 2450 mAh
EBL 2800 mAh
Eneloop White 1900 mAh
Eneloop Blue 1900 mAh
Eneloop Pro 2450 mAh
Powerex Imedion 2400 mAh
Powerex Precharged 2600 mAh
Powerex 2700 mAh
Powerex 2700 mAh Pro

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 14, 2017 10:26 |  #20

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18243782 (external link)
In addition to the reasons already posted that rechargeable out perform Alkaline, another aspect is the performance curve...

QUOTED IMAGE

I was going to point out that it was recommended to me to get rechargeables with a higher mAh rating. The graph above is a great illustration of why. I use 2700 mAh batteries with a Maha 8 cell charger and I am very happy with them.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Intheswamp.
Jan 14, 2017 11:39 |  #21

It seems to me that I recall the higher amp NiMH batteries are not rated for as many discharge/recharge cycles as the standard ones are. My thinking is that this is due to having a thinner cell plate material and thus more prone to deterioration and pinholes forming from the discharge/recharge cycles. Of course, I may have NiMH chemistry *all* wrong. ;) The higher amp batteries may not need recharging as often as the standard ones, but there discharge/charge duty cycle will be less. Where the balance between the two is is unknown to me.

I've used the standard Eneloops and have had very good performance from them. Seems, though, the original "white" ones may have held up better than the later blue/pale-blue ones do.

If you're needing fast flash recycle times then the higher amp batteries would probably be best, for regular shooting the standard ones seem good.

But this is all from my personal experience and nothing scientific about my musings... :-D

Ed

Reason for edit: Added the bold-faced not, which I meant to have there to start with.<sigh>

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 14, 2017 11:43 |  #22

SYS wrote in post #18244128 (external link)
While I won't get to posting the results for another two weeks or so, I can tell you these are the batteries I'm testing:

Amazon Basics 2400 mAh
Duracell 2450 mAh
EBL 2800 mAh
Eneloop White 1900 mAh
Eneloop Blue 1900 mAh
Eneloop Pro 2450 mAh
Powerex Imedion 2400 mAh
Powerex Precharged 2600 mAh
Powerex 2700 mAh
Powerex 2700 mAh Pro

Nice list. I'm curious how the whites and blues compare. All of mine have come from Costco (whites and blues). Will be looking forward to your results.

Ed

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 14, 2017 12:05 |  #23

Intheswamp wrote in post #18244190 (external link)
Nice list. I'm curious how the whites and blues compare. All of mine have come from Costco (whites and blues). Will be looking forward to your results.

Ed

Performance wise (# of flash pops), they're very similar. But I've always had a personal preference for the original white. Shelf-life wise, I can only say from my own personal experience (not test based) that the original white has been a bit more reliable, but that could just be perceptual. I really don't care for the extra thickness of the blue, so I've always been biased against it. Unless there's a huge discounted sale on the blue eneloop, I'd always go with the original white.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

ChibiM
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
Jan 14, 2017 13:52 as a reply to SYS's post |  #24

Please dont forget to write down the exact codes from the eneloops (and other batteries) because their are different "generations" of eneloops.
Looking forward to it.

Eos M, 5DII, and some lenses.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,604 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 14, 2017 14:31 |  #25

Intheswamp wrote in post #18244187 (external link)
It seems to me that I recall the higher amp NiMH batteries are rated for as many discharge/recharge cycles as the standard ones are. ....
Ed

Did you intend to type "aren't" ?

My own limited personal results would back up the idea that higher rating = fewer recharges/overall life. The Eneloop recharge ratings are significantly lower for the higher MHA "RPO" cells, for the same reason.

I have a small supply of Energizer NiMH from before I went Eneloop/Amazon basics. The ones rated 2300 which I bought longer ago are still taking a charge fine,. many of the ones rated 2500/2700 are mostly not taking a charge any more, even though they are newer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 14, 2017 18:36 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18244333 (external link)
Did you intend to type "aren't" ?

My own limited personal results would back up the idea that higher rating = fewer recharges/overall life. The Eneloop recharge ratings are significantly lower for the higher MHA "RPO" cells, for the same reason.

I have a small supply of Energizer NiMH from before I went Eneloop/Amazon basics. The ones rated 2300 which I bought longer ago are still taking a charge fine,. many of the ones rated 2500/2700 are mostly not taking a charge any more, even though they are newer.

You're right...small glitch in the gray matter. I will correct my post so as not to further confuse anyone. Thanks for the head'sup.

Ed

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 14, 2017 18:39 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #18244219 (external link)
Performance wise (# of flash pops), they're very similar. But I've always had a personal preference for the original white. Shelf-life wise, I can only say from my own personal experience (not test based) that the original white has been a bit more reliable, but that could just be perceptual. I really don't care for the extra thickness of the blue, so I've always been biased against it. Unless there's a huge discounted sale on the blue eneloop, I'd always go with the original white.

Yes, I lean more towards the white ones in regards to my perception of their possible superior service.

invi2003
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
New York
Jan 19, 2017 09:50 |  #28

Anyone using the Eneloop Pro ? http://www.amazon.com .../ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_​nS_ttl (external link)

Canon EOS 6D | Sony α6000 / ILCE-6000, α7 II / ILCE-7M2, α7R II / ILCE-7RM2 | Apple iPhone 7 | Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di VC USD | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 35mm f/2, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC | Sony E PZ 3.5-5.6/16-50mm OSS, FE 28mm F2, Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA, FE 85mm F1.8 | Minolta MD Rokkor 135mm f/2.8, MC Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 | Helios 58mm f/2 44-3 MC | Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC DN | C |

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 19, 2017 10:10 |  #29

invi2003 wrote in post #18249251 (external link)
Anyone using the Eneloop Pro ? http://www.amazon.com .../ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_​nS_ttl (external link)

I haven't used it on a regular basis, only tested it. Based on my tests, it's not something I'd get all excited about. Unless you're going to shoot regularly in -4f temperature, I'd just stick to either the original white Eneloops or Powerex "Precharged" that offers more mAh, the same 85% of charge after one year of storage (LSD), AND cheaper price.

For the price of a pack of 4 Eneloop Pro ($16.96), you could practically get twice as many original white Eneloops while you'd save $4 if you go with Powerex "Precharged."

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Angmo.
Jan 19, 2017 12:49 |  #30

invi2003 wrote in post #18249251 (external link)

Pros are all I use. I like them. I don't expect them to last 10 years. If they do, I'd likely misplace half of them by then anyway. The extra juice is nice though.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sponsored links

2,994 views & 9 likes for this thread
Rechargable batteries for Strobes?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.