Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 11:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Minimum height of Dell U2412M monitor?

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 10, 2017 08:36 |  #16

Yes, B&H still has a regular (non-clearance) listing for the monitor. It just struck me as odd that Adorama would show "low stock" and "clearance" for this popular monitor....those phrases kind of give the impression that they're going to stop handling it. Maybe Dell is coming out with a new UPC/version of it and Adorama is getting rid of the old stock/version...????? ?

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 14, 2017 07:34 |  #17

WOW!!!! :-D I'm impressed!!!!

I received the monitor but wasn't able to hook it up until last night (Friday). I was impressed when I lit it up. I went straight to my Spyder4Elite and calibrated it. The only problem I had was in selecting the gamut...I selected "normal" first. It stopped to inform me that I had a wide gamut monitor ? so I stopped, started over and selected "wide gamut". It stopped again to tell me I didn't have a wide gamut monitor. Kind of bothered me that there was going to be a glitch. I then started over with the calibration and selected the "I don't know" option. From there on out the calibration went smoothly.

I am really impressed with the monitor! Detail that I haven't seen before....great clarity....colors are great...leaps and bounds better than my old monitor. Whereas my old monitor couldn't get up to 160 in brightness...seemed to peter out at about half that number, the U2412M started out at 202 and I had to pull it down to 180....and I managed to get a 180, too!

I might have to speed up my mouse some...seems there's a lot more real-estate to cover. ;)

The last thing, for now, is the application "Powernap". I take it that this is a good application to install...? I'm usually wary of installing "extras" if I don't need to, but this *sounds* like a useful utility. I've already installed the driver.

Thanks for the recommendations on this monitor. I'm a happy camper!!!! :-)

Ed

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 14, 2017 14:40 |  #18

Congrats!

I did not install any apps,. didn't even use the disk for the driver, since Windows seemed to ID and install a driver right off the bat, so I don't have any advice on that.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 14, 2017 18:46 |  #19

Thanks, Jake, I'm liking what I've seen so far...now to figure out how process photos...I think the monitor is going to be a big help there and when I print. :)

I went ahead and installed the app. Simple program that has an option to dim the screensaver for power savings or either put the monitor to sleep. No biggie. I got it set to dim the screen saver...will see how that works.

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Intheswamp. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 16, 2017 08:03 |  #20

Strange thing just happened...

The best that I can tell the monitor just lost part of the signal from the computer...or either the computer stopped sending the signal. Kind of confusing statement, I know. What happened was the screen went blank, but you could still see the dim "back lighting" (I guess that's what it'd be called) and the power button remained blue. No notices of power loss or going into power-saver mode came up on the screen. This makes me think the computer stopped sending it's signal to the monitor...and least the signal that is visible to us, maybe a power signal was still being sent? Flying in the dark I held the power button down on the computer -? to shut it down. The "power-saver" notice then appeared on the monitor. Upon rebooting the computer all is well, again,...for the time being. :-|

Could the graphics card need replacing with a more robust one to operate the U2412M?

ETA: Here's the base setup that I have...

Old refurbed Dell Optiplex 2core 3ghz tower
12 gigs of RAM
ATI Radeon HD3400 pci video card

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 16, 2017 08:17 |  #21

Intheswamp wrote in post #18245931 (external link)
Strange thing just happened...

I would power everything down. While down, check all the cabling for tightness. If the monitor is plugged into a UPS, then plug it into a duplex outlet thus bypassing the UPS. Then restart and then see how things behave. If everything comes back up immediately check the various power settings, especially those for the monitor. Keep us informed

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 16, 2017 14:11 |  #22

Intheswamp wrote in post #18245931 (external link)

Could the graphics card need replacing with a more robust one to operate the U2412M?

The card should not be a problem from that standpoint.
Fingers crossed.

P.S. if you can't see what your doing, powering down =

1 press "Windows Key" or "Ctrl+esc" and then release.
2 press the right arrow key once.
3 press "enter"

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 16, 2017 15:19 |  #23

John, when I shut the computer down I also turned the monitor off so both computer and monitor were rebooted.

The DVI connection at the monitor is solid, I used the old cable but it's been secure to the computer for a couple of years. I did not look at the cable/computer connection.

Jake, it does make me kinda take a double-take. I've had the monitor running since Friday night....running it through the paces during the 30-day return window. Other than that odd signal loss I've no issues with the monitor...only praises. Thanks for the tip on the blind shutdown. I actually hit the Windows button but couldn't figure out where the cursor would be. I just did a dry-run and see the key sequence brings you exactly where you need to be...nice. Now...why didn't I think to figure that out in the first place?

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 24, 2017 06:41 |  #24

I haven't had anymore issues of the "lost signal" genre, but I had another issue this morning.

I had been working on some photos last night, first in DPP and then in CS2. When I went to bed I left the computer with several windows open...browser, mailreader, Windows image viewer, and *maybe* CS2 (can't remember...<sigh>;). This morning when I woke the monitor up it had a purplish tint to it. -? I closed all the windows and opened the browser back up....still purplish.

I then turned the monitor off for a few seconds and then back on...problem solved.  ???? This is the first time that this has happened. I will say that I think my computer was struggling last night and a memory issue might be involved. It looks fine, now.

Ed

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
Jan 24, 2017 08:17 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #25

What kind of cable are you using?

VGA? (external link) Cable tends to have blue ends. (external link)
DVI? (external link) Cable tends to have white ends. (external link)
Display Port? (external link) Cable has a locking mechanism on it (external link).

The tinting you are describing, in my past experience, is when the VGA cable has been broken down and needs replacing. If possible use DisplayPort > DVI > VGA if possible.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 24, 2017 08:45 |  #26

Using DVI.

Was fine when I went to bed. Woke the monitor up this morning to the odd tint.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ed

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 24, 2017 19:04 |  #27

Are you using the Dell Display Manager software? On my Dell UP2715K monitor it allows you to change the screen resolution, brightness, and also swap between various different colour profiles on the fly. I have it on and use it to switch between using the hardware AdobeRGB (99%) and sRGB (100%) profiles when changing between programs. I have AdobeRGB for all the Adobe programs, and then swap to sRGB when I change to a browser, since that is simpler with all the untagged images that are out there. Even if the browser is colour managed.

For some of the system programs though it will only allow you to run it's "Standard" profile, which seems to not be calibrated at all, and has a very noticeable tint compared to AdobeRGB/sRGB. Sometimes it takes a moment to swap for me, so if you have that it might be that it is hanging.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 24, 2017 22:05 |  #28

Thanks for the feedback, Alan. I'm not aware of the Dell Display Manager software...though it sounds interesting. Basically I calibrated the monitor with a Spyder4Elite and appear to have Spyder4Elite software running. I'm really running by the seat-of-my-pants and s-l-o-w-l-y learning things...but, having fun along the way. :)

The purple tint issue wasn't a short temporary thing. I waited and wiggled the mouse, opened/closed different windows, etc.,. The tint never went away until I turned the monitor off and then back on. Everything fine after powering back up. Some sort of undocumented feature I guess. ;)

Sorry that I can't talk very technical about the problem...this old dog is feeling older and older.

I wonder if the Spyder software might have had a hiccup.

Ed

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 25, 2017 06:04 |  #29

Intheswamp wrote in post #18254764 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback, Alan. I'm not aware of the Dell Display Manager software...though it sounds interesting. Basically I calibrated the monitor with a Spyder4Elite and appear to have Spyder4Elite software running. I'm really running by the seat-of-my-pants and s-l-o-w-l-y learning things...but, having fun along the way. :)

The purple tint issue wasn't a short temporary thing. I waited and wiggled the mouse, opened/closed different windows, etc.,. The tint never went away until I turned the monitor off and then back on. Everything fine after powering back up. Some sort of undocumented feature I guess. ;)

Sorry that I can't talk very technical about the problem...this old dog is feeling older and older.

I wonder if the Spyder software might have had a hiccup.

Ed

Sounds like you ended up with windows somehow using a different .icc profile, or having corrupted it. It seems to happen occasionally. Doing a reboot would usually be my first step in this situation, at least you know that windows has re read all of the configuration parameters when you do that. The Dell software is quite good, and seems to work well with the hardware calibration systems offered on the high end monitors like the Ultrasharps.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 25, 2017 07:50 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #30

I just went into the display properties and made sure the display is using the the calibrated profile. I noticed that the extension on the file was ".icm" rather than ".icc" as you mentioned...(ETA: Just did a google and see .icc is Apple and .icm is Microsoft...the education continues ;) ). Things seem to still be running good.

....and still loving the monitor regardless of it making my heart miss a few beats on a couple of occasions. :)

I may look into Dell Display Manager...sounds like it might be useful but probably overkill for my use.

Best wishes,
Ed

sponsored links

3,005 views & 3 likes for this thread
Minimum height of Dell U2412M monitor?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.