Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 04:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shoot "tethered" directly to a Flatscreen?

Jocce
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 18, 2017 04:56 |  #1

Is it possible, somehow, to shoot "tethered" directly to a FlatScreen TV from my 5D Mark IV (or Mark III)?

Perhaps via the HDMI somehow?

/Jocce

Feel free to correct my English. I'm from Sweden ;)

My Website (external link)
Fotointresse.se (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 18, 2017 09:45 |  #2

You could use the Canon EOS Utility on a PC to control the camera via WiFi or USB and use your TV as a display for the PC via its HDMI out, or I'm sure you could do the same with an Android-based device and the Canon mobile utility. I'm not sure if you're looking to control the camera with a separate device or if you're just looking to display pictures as they're taken via the camera, but with more information as to what you're trying to accomplish I'm sure others can direct you further.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 19, 2017 02:16 |  #3

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18248222 (external link)
You could use the Canon EOS Utility on a PC to control the camera via WiFi or USB and use your TV as a display for the PC via its HDMI out, or I'm sure you could do the same with an Android-based device and the Canon mobile utility. I'm not sure if you're looking to control the camera with a separate device or if you're just looking to display pictures as they're taken via the camera, but with more information as to what you're trying to accomplish I'm sure others can direct you further.

-Joe

I would like to directly from the camera, without any computer, phone or any other device display images on a 65" LCD-Flat Screen TV.

Yesterday I had a shoot for ID-badges here at work, and was thinking, since the screen is behind my back and therefore in direct view of the "subject" they could look at the image directly on the screen to see if they are satisfied instead of getting out of the posing chair, going around the flash and camera stand, and then going back (some people wants a lot of tries ;) ).

So for the future I was thinking of doing this, and the question is, is it enough with the HDMI-Out on the camera to do this?

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 19, 2017 16:46 |  #4

I believe that when you plug a display in via the HDMI port, that display will always be used instead of the LCD for image review and playback. So you can compose via the viewfinder and then when you playback the image it will show on whatever display is plugged-in to the HDMI port.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jan 19, 2017 17:19 |  #5

Why not just use the wifi on the 5d4 to your phone or tablet? That is a perfect use of wifi.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

dasmith232
Joined Nov 2012
Colorado, USA
Jan 19, 2017 17:27 |  #6

There are some bodies that have HDMI out but not WiFi (like the 5D3). In those cases, you can use a (sold separately) dedicated cable the connects to an HDMI monitor.

With that you'll project what's on the back monitor to the flat screen. However, you don't get the same resolution on that mode as looking at the image when tethered.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 20, 2017 01:52 |  #7

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18249641 (external link)
I believe that when you plug a display in via the HDMI port, that display will always be used instead of the LCD for image review and playback. So you can compose via the viewfinder and then when you playback the image it will show on whatever display is plugged-in to the HDMI port.

I will try this the next time :) Seems like the best solution!

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 20, 2017 01:53 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18249675 (external link)
Why not just use the wifi on the 5d4 to your phone or tablet? That is a perfect use of wifi.

Also an option, though a 65" Flatscreen that is already there gives the subject an easier look ;)

+ I think I have to use the LiveView with the App?

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 20, 2017 01:53 |  #9

dasmith232 wrote in post #18249689 (external link)
There are some bodies that have HDMI out but not WiFi (like the 5D3). In those cases, you can use a (sold separately) dedicated cable the connects to an HDMI monitor.

With that you'll project what's on the back monitor to the flat screen. However, you don't get the same resolution on that mode as looking at the image when tethered.

As long as the resolution is not extremly low, that's not a problem for this kind of use.

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 20, 2017 06:10 as a reply to Jocce's post |  #10

Yes you can do live view, and if you have a 10" tablet, or can cast you phone or tablet to a TV it will show there.

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 20, 2017 06:19 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18250134 (external link)
Yes you can do live view, and if you have a 10" tablet, or can cast you phone or tablet to a TV it will show there.

But i would prefer NOT using LiveView...

But the idea of Casting is good (as long as the TV supports it or a Chromecast is installed :) )

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. 9 edits done in total.
Jan 20, 2017 07:42 |  #12

Jocce wrote in post #18250137 (external link)
But i would prefer NOT using LiveView...

But the idea of Casting is good (as long as the TV supports it or a Chromecast is installed :) )

/Jocce

You have no choice really, you will have to be in live view to show anything at all. The sensor has to see the subject material in order to display it on HDMI, or to send it through wifi. DSLRs have a mirror that block the sensor if you are not in live view, and therefore all the sensor sees is "black".

Here is a link about the Canon app. Here are the steps I think you would want for this session.
http://digital-photography-school.com ...canon-camera-connect-app/ (external link)

1. Put the camera on a tripod.
2. Position the camera and aim at the static location for badge shot.
3. Shoot a bit looser than what you need for the badge dimensions.
4. Go to live view.

Then you have the following 3 options:

A. Run to wifi on phone, or large tablet running the Canon app. Either let them see the tablet before the shoot, then snap the shot, or cast to TV.

OR

B. Run a tethered HDMI to TV

OR

C. Run EOS utility on laptop, tether via USB, pipe laptop to large display

The 4th option I could think of is to use a separate camera as a monitor camera, piped to a TV, that is set up very near the photo camera. It won't be exact, but it gives the clients something to see just before you say "cheese" and snap their photo.

EDIT: I do have 5th idea but haven't tried it yet. I have built teleprompters for Canon DSLR videos, and I use a 10" tablet to show the text while the camera is aimed out glass at the actor. You could almost do the same here, the person would be looking directly at the camera this way, and see themselves, adjust accordingly, smile, etc, and you snap their photo.

yellowt2
196 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Jan 20, 2017 13:42 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18250168 (external link)
You have no choice really, you will have to be in live view to show anything at all. The sensor has to see the subject material in order to display it on HDMI, or to send it through wifi. DSLRs have a mirror that block the sensor if you are not in live view, and therefore all the sensor sees is "black".

From what the OP said, he doesn't need the subjects to have a constant live view feed, he just wants them to be able to see an image review.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 20, 2017 17:50 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #14

Same solutions work for that as well.... but still question the lack of desire for live view when doing badge photos?

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 21, 2017 01:05 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #15

Because the subject will be looking at the screen instead of where you want them during the exposure?

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

2,387 views & 1 like for this thread
Shoot "tethered" directly to a Flatscreen?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.