Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 23 Mar 2016 (Wednesday) 01:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Senior portraits - can they be too sharp?

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 14, 2017 12:47 as a reply to post 18244249 |  #16

I've come to like my Otus, and I *hate* the smoothing filters photographers use. Their pictures don't look like real people, they look like .. paint. Painted/fake skin.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,398 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jan 14, 2017 15:49 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #17

That may be but each year the line grows for family portraits and they seem to really enjoy the results. With today's camera phones and "special effects", I guess people have become accustomed to software filters.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 18, 2017 12:51 |  #18

icor1031 wrote in post #17945324 (external link)

Well, yes - of course! Unlike bird and wildlife portraits, portraits of people do not benefit from ultra sharpness. Why? Because 'sharpness' means the resolution of extremely fine detail, and fine detail in human faces is typically unattractive.

Pores.

Extremely short stubble in shaved areas.

Tiny little spots of skin that are off colour.

Extremely small, shallow wrinkles.

Little grains of makeup that got displaced and settled in an area where they don't belong.

Areas where the skin is textured and not smooth.

Most human faces have - literally - thousands of these minuscule imperfections. Our faces are literally covered from top to bottom with super-tiny little things that are really ugly......why would anyone want to take a photo that is sharp enough to clearly show each and every one???

Most people, especially high school seniors, don't want portraits of themselves that exhibit 'character'. Rather, they want photos in which they look attractive.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

7,524 views & 8 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.