Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 18 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 20:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I want two cameras

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,158 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 18, 2017 20:29 |  #1

Considering I'm a prime shooter I'm tempting myself to pickup a backup body... a 5DsR also to aid less lens swaps in field. 85 mounted to the 5D4 and the 200 mounted to the 5DsR.

Is this asking for too much?

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,049 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
Jan 18, 2017 20:43 |  #2

What do you mainly shoot Talley? If you shooting wedding and events then it makes sense to shoot dual bodies. I mainly shooting weddings and only use dual body during getting ready and ceremony. Dual bodies are only fun for 30-60 mins after that it is getting in the way.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

dasmith232
Joined Nov 2012
Colorado, USA
Jan 18, 2017 20:44 |  #3

When I shoot commercially or for a paid gig, I'd say it's necessary to have that second body that's at least the same format of not the exact same model.

That's when you say, "I need a second body."

For personal work, I can't do any better than, "I want a second body." But lately, I haven't wanted to carry the extra weight...

And if you clean your own sensors, then it's harder to defend the "don't want to swap lenses thing."

If I go on a road trip then I definitely bring an extra body.

The fastest way to get more practical about these things? Get older!

But yes, you absolutely should get a second body!

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,626 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Portland, Oregon
Jan 18, 2017 20:46 |  #4

I've used two bodies (or more) for years since I shoot a lot with primes. Right now I'm using a 5D4 and a 5D3 - you could probably pickup a lightly used 5D3 as a second body as reasonably inexpensive supplement.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,158 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 18, 2017 21:13 |  #5

just my kids and such... nothing pro.

too many wants on my want list.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,049 posts
Joined Feb 2009
CA
Jan 18, 2017 21:22 as a reply to Talley's post |  #6

Borrow or rent a second body, borrow a dual strap and lug dual bodies out for a trip or two then you will find out if you love it or hate it. When I don't shoot with dual bodies, the ThinkTank belt with pouches is great for me (at wedding).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

tdlavigne
315 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jan 19, 2017 04:34 |  #7

Nothing wrong with that. In my experience I have yet to find that one "perfect" body that excels in everything, so I've come to the conclusion that multiple bodies with different strengths is the way to go. At the moment I have one body that is better in lower light/high ISO and I like the colors from more, and another with high resolution and slightly better AF albeit at the cost of being slower and needing much more post-work. I also have a small m4/3 camera for travel, touristy, non-important stuff. Long term I'd like to upgrade all 3 to newer models, and possibly add a DX body for sports lol. Photography is a never ending shopping spree it seems :)

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Jan 19, 2017 05:11 |  #8

You 100% honestly have THE WORST G.A.S I have ever seen :p

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Jan 19, 2017 05:19 |  #9

Wait, some people only use one body? How strange :)

Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,987 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 19, 2017 09:11 |  #10

I want two cameras, also. I'd even settle for one camera. The problem is that I now have three cameras (well 3 DSLRs). As someone mentioned above, different bodies excel at different things. Right now I have a 6D (low-light and killer OneShot AF), an 1DIV (killer fast/accurate AF, not so good low light AF, really good IQ, decent results in low light), and an 80D (AF fast and accurate like 1DIV, AF in low light like 6D, decent results in low light). I think that if I had to keep only one of them, it would be the 80D. I can't bring myself to sell the 6D because I like wide. I could conceivably sell the 1DIV, but it is the last Mohican with regard to sensor size.

Rant complete. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Tom

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 19, 2017 09:36 as a reply to Talley's post |  #11

I love my family photography after we switched from film to digital. Doing it since 2007 on digital. Well, on film as well :).
Looking at your kit it makes sense for me to suggest second body. But not the same DSLR with prime on it with risk to bump all of it to kid's head every time you are getting close :).
Get something something small but with best IQ possible, which still depends on the sensor size. Like Fuji X100 series or Sony RX1 series.
Canon FF DSLR with L prime on it is unbeatable for best IQ family portraits, but small camera with snappy AF helps to stay in touch with kids.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,045 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jan 19, 2017 12:04 |  #12

I am a huge fan of having duplicates of the same model on hand when I'm doing anything. Having 'a backup' camera that sits on a shelf or in the bottom of a gear bag and only ever brought out when there is a problem with 'the main camera' is an easy way to run into frustrating little errors. - Was the battery still charged? (Does it even take the same battery/cards as the main camera?) What kind of settings was it on last time it was used? Can it use the same lenses your main one does? Are the buttons/settings anywhere remotely where you expect them to be? (I technically own a T3 along with my 7D bodies, but it gets loaned out to friends because I rarely if ever actually remember how to adjust things with it.)

Having duplicates gives you flexibility and consistency. Hand the spare camera off to someone else to get shots from a different angle, or jump between lenses without having to actually swap. And at the end of the day when you go to process photos, then (barring something very weird with the cameras) you can rely on a similar baseline working with images from either camera.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,122 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jan 19, 2017 12:18 |  #13

You have the money? Sure, go right ahead. Otherwise, there are no needs...especially you aren't shooting paid gigs. Especially if you know that you have the chances to change lenses on the field and not missing shots. Most people would have a cheaper BACKUP body just in case their main body dies and in order to continue shooting.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

dsuitor
40 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Southern, NH
Jan 19, 2017 13:24 |  #14

I do motorsports and other events. Besides offering a quick choice of lens, the second camera also serves as a backup in case of failure. The failure may be a simple as a battery dies or a full memory card, but with a second camera you can instantly (or nearly so) change cameras and continue shooting. Weight and bulk are a factor.

regards,
dms

1d4, 7d, 5d2, 50d, and a growing list of L lens and lighting

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Jan 19, 2017 13:30 |  #15

Why so many mpx? Why not a 5d3? or even a crop camera to see the different pov the lenses give you.. As you already have DR covered, why not go for something different like fps?

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links

2,300 views & 2 likes for this thread
I want two cameras
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.