Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk
Thread started 30 Dec 2016 (Friday) 08:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Interior Lens Reccommendation

krisammad
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 30, 2016 08:17 |  #1

I'm looking to pick up a new lens and want something that is ideal for interior real estate photos. I want best value for the money but do not want to cheap out if I should invest in the more expensive lenses. I'm currently leaning towards the Nikon 16-35 f/4 but should I invest more in 17-35 f/2.8, 14-24 f/2.8 or any other third party lenses? I'm shooting on a full frame.

Thanks any tips appreciated!

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,027 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 30, 2016 08:43 |  #2

A 24mm FL perspective correction lens, with shift movements at a minimum, to avoid converging verticals.
Here is a photo of the Olympus 24mm shift lens, shown in shifted position. Nikon has a very nice one, too.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IMG_2164_zps46924ac6.jpg

Zooms exhibit too much pincushion distortion because it is too expensive to correct well at multiple FL.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

krisammad
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 30, 2016 09:03 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #3

I was looking into the tilt shift lenses, I'm just worried the 24mm won't be wide enough for smaller homes. Also looking for something slightly more affordable and upgrade to a tilt shift down the road.

Wilt
39,027 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Wilt.
Dec 30, 2016 09:06 |  #4

krisammad wrote in post #18227602 (external link)
I was looking into the tilt shift lenses, I'm just worried the 24mm won't be wide enough for smaller homes. Also looking for something slightly more affordable and upgrade to a tilt shift down the road.

I am of the mind set that use of wider FL lenses for photos might make real estate agents attract more folks to come to look, but it also means that more folks are deceieved by the apparent spaciousness and they go away with a bitter taste of deception in their mouths...it does NOT sell a home to misrepresent it as more spacious than it is!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

krisammad
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Post has been edited 9 months ago by krisammad.
Dec 30, 2016 09:13 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #5

very true which is why I was not looking into anything wider than the 16-35mm as I don't want any distortion and do not want any misrepresentations. Do you currently shoot real estate and do you find 24mm is wide enough?

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Dec 30, 2016 09:24 |  #6

The TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II is all I've been using for my architectural work. I have found myself in situations in which I would have liked to have the TS-E 17mm, though.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Wilt
39,027 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Dec 30, 2016 09:25 |  #7

I don't routinely shoot real estate for the purposes of promotion of homes being listed for sale. I have done architectural interiors and exteriors of buildings that have undergone extensive renovation work. Occasionally I might pull out 20mm lens, but not often. My own family room, I prefer the rendition of the space by 24mm.

Shot on APS-C with 11mm (18mm FF equiv)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Shift-2.jpg

11mm on APS-C corrected for convergency in post
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Shift-3.jpg

24mm PC
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Shift-1.jpg

TheShutterMonkey
Joined Jul 2016
Jan 13, 2017 14:45 |  #8

Alveric wrote in post #18227635 (external link)
The TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II is all I've been using for my architectural work. I have found myself in situations in which I would have liked to have the TS-E 17mm, though.

I have the 17mm TS-E, and it's nice to have that (very) wide FL, but there are distortions at times too (and yes, the camera is perfectly levelled), I end up cropping a lot out... I may start using it on an APS-C body instead or use a 1.4x TC

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 13, 2017 18:57 |  #9

TheShutterMonkey wrote in post #18243434 (external link)
I have the 17mm TS-E, and it's nice to have that (very) wide FL, but there are distortions at times too (and yes, the camera is perfectly levelled), I end up cropping a lot out... I may start using it on an APS-C body instead or use a 1.4x TC

I hear you. The TS-E 17mm is more of a lens for those 1% situations where you're really constrained. Considering its cost, it might be a better choice to go with the EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM and do some cropping in post. Of course, even with a non-TS lens, the camera should still be perfectly level.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Trespassing in South Florida
Jan 13, 2017 20:24 |  #10

For what it is worth, you are paying for speed on the other lenses and speed is not what you need for interior, so literally your results will be similar. I am also no pro. But I shoot interiors for work for my company, and those shots are stopped down and corner to corner sharpness and large dof. I would venture to say the 16-35 f4 is perfect for what you need.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Jan 18, 2017 23:00 |  #11

A TS lens is great for high end architectural work and could be useful in real estate if you have one available, but they are all primes and a prime on a real estate shoot represents more of a liability than an asset. Focal length flexibility is far more important than the few times that image geometry can't be corrected by careful framing and slight adjustment in post. Get a good WA zoom. As has already been said, 2.8 isn't needed but good IQ is. Hope that helps.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Jan 18, 2017 23:05 |  #12

go for the Nikon 14-28mm 2.8, its so good Canon guys even run them.

unfortunately Tilt shift lenses are very limited and expensive on the Nikon side.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

1,650 views & 3 likes for this thread
Interior Lens Reccommendation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.