Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 21 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 14:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Would you trust buying here?

reefvilla
Joined May 2010
Farmington Missouri
Jan 21, 2017 14:04 |  #1

Walmart.com has the Canon 70mm-200mm f2.8 IS ii for $1742.xx .

That's a $200 savings from any other place I've seen.??!?

Canon 6D : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 : Canon 17-40mm F4L

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,372 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jan 21, 2017 14:12 |  #2

If it's the real Wallymart, they are just fine. I have gotten some things from them without incident. Just make sure it's not a gray market lens and you'll be fine

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 21, 2017 14:23 |  #3

Trouble with Walmart.com is they have adopted the Amazon model of also being a front end for a lot of different small time retailers. Unlike Amazon, I have no idea how good they will be at helping if one those 3rd parties ends up being shady. The websight should however tell you from whom you are actually buying.

This is how I discovered the 3rd parties, I bought some hard to find batteries and they weren't directly from "Walmart" but it was via their websight.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
Farmington Missouri
Jan 21, 2017 14:24 |  #4

I buy from them a lot online because they seem to be cheap on most things. Just worried about about getting the "real" lens.
How would I tell if it's gray market?

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
Farmington Missouri
Jan 21, 2017 14:27 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of companies selling anything and everything. Thanks for the help

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
Farmington Missouri
Post has been edited 11 months ago by reefvilla.
Jan 21, 2017 14:31 |  #6

Tri State Camera is the seller of the lens

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 21, 2017 15:36 |  #7

If I'm buying new gear, I get it from Canon, Adorama, B&H, in that order. I can't predict the future, but my guess is that I'll never have to deal with 'grey market' stuff, and/or shady warranty stuff.

For used gear, I shop Canon refurbished, POTN, and Craigslist, in that order. I've never had a problem with Canon refurbs. CL is getting to be a wasteland of people who either have no idea what they are selling, or have no idea what it is worth. I believe I save enough money on used stuff to limit my new purchases to well-established sellers.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 21, 2017 16:12 |  #8

I bought from tri-state about 8 years ago and everything was legit, but still somehow a little weird. It was some deal through Microsoft that saved me a couple of hundred bucks but I had to jump through hoops.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 21, 2017 22:11 |  #9

The thread in this link is about eight years old, but might be worth reading... http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?p=8​918325

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Buckeye1
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
Jan 21, 2017 22:28 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18251571 (external link)
If I'm buying new gear, I get it from Canon, Adorama, B&H, in that order. I can't predict the future, but my guess is that I'll never have to deal with 'grey market' stuff, and/or shady warranty stuff.

For used gear, I shop Canon refurbished, POTN, and Craigslist, in that order. I've never had a problem with Canon refurbs. CL is getting to be a wasteland of people who either have no idea what they are selling, or have no idea what it is worth. I believe I save enough money on used stuff to limit my new purchases to well-established sellers.

Hey, did you forget about me...I am offended :-)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jan 21, 2017 22:39 |  #11

you could probably get a refurb for cheaper...i doubt you'll get one in the next few hours, but they were part of a 10% off sale, and available for $1511

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,782 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 21, 2017 23:58 |  #12

Buckeye1 wrote in post #18251932 (external link)
Hey, did you forget about me...I am offended :-)

Hey, I said POTN. I guess I assumed folks would understand that to mean "for sale" pages. I have never been dis-satisfied with any gear I've purchased on POTN's sale pages. I've gotten a wide variety of accessories, bodies, and lenses, from filters and batteries, to L-glass, to a 1DIV. No point in 3rd rate retailers and grey market when we have an active marketplace right here.

Tom

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 22, 2017 03:39 |  #13

Check CPW. They have the 70-200 for around $50 more from an authorized Canon dealer. Tri-State is not an authorized dealer.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

Optiq
392 posts
Joined May 2009
Charlotte (just north of)
Jan 24, 2017 10:09 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18251497 (external link)
Trouble with Walmart.com is they have adopted the Amazon model of also being a front end for a lot of different small time retailers. Unlike Amazon, I have no idea how good they will be at helping if one those 3rd parties ends up being shady. The websight should however tell you from whom you are actually buying.

This is how I discovered the 3rd parties, I bought some hard to find batteries and they weren't directly from "Walmart" but it was via their websight.

I would drop the "unlike Amazon" from your post because lately Amazon doesn't have your back as well as they used to with their 3rd party resellers. Amazon USED to be fantastic whenever there was a problem but no more. Lately they've been letting more and more 3rd party sellers on and they provide less and less oversight. They may make it right in the end but you'll have to fight for it with multiple phone calls (with escalation to someone in this country). I now have a serious issue with 1/4 to 1/3 of my orders. Things like wrong item sent or grossly misrepresented to the point where it was useless. They seem to want to take a hands off approach.

They also have introduced some confusing policies with regards to free shipping. It used to be spend $35 and you get free shipping. Then it was spend $35 on eligible items and you get free shipping. Now it's spend $49 on "eligible" items and get free shipping. Now you have to pay attention to where those items are coming from where you never had to before and their math is pretty "fuzzy."

My small but growing -=Flickr page=-external link

NDAPhoto
150 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by NDAPhoto. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 25, 2017 12:17 |  #15

Also consider Greentoe.com. Canon lenses come from authorized Canon dealers only with US warranty. Find your lens, make a reasonable offer and a reputable seller either accepts or makes a counter offer. The last L lens I bought was from one of the big NY sellers who accepted my offer well below their online price. Two previous purchases were from smaller shops I would not have known about. Shipping and tax are included in the price. If you don't like the counter offer, don't respond and no harm done. Requires a little patience. They charge your credit card as soon as the offer is accepted, so don't leave an offer open if you change your mind.

sponsored links

2,508 views & 4 likes for this thread
Would you trust buying here?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.