Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 20 Jan 2017 (Friday) 21:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Heading to Iceland next month, nervous my gear won't capture the beauty

tnick771
Joined Jul 2016
Jan 20, 2017 21:03 |  #1

Currently shoot on a crop frame Canon SL1 with:

10-22mm
18-55mm
40mm
50mm
75-300mm (garbage)

Should I think about grabbing a lens for nature photography? Any other tips so I don't squander this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Canon 6D and a couple lenses, I don't know... just trying the hardest I can :)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 20, 2017 21:19 |  #2

Take two from the wide end, tripod, shutter remote control and polarizing filters.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jan 20, 2017 22:23 |  #3

tnick771 wrote in post #18250846 (external link)
Currently shoot on a crop frame Canon SL1 with:

10-22mm
18-55mm
40mm
50mm
75-300mm (garbage)

Should I think about grabbing a lens for nature photography? Any other tips so I don't squander this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Iceland is a great opportunity. I encourage you to take photos. I regularly use the garbage el cheapo kit 75-300 also. It comes in handy when I want to lean out of a moving vehicle and get interesting shots of people doing interesting things or close ups of sunset clouds. I find 1/800" shutter in the daytime gets decent pictures. I'll use my amateur gear until it dies or I do. Not trying to be an Ansel Adams, I was born into the vacation photo bug thing however. I do try to pace myself so as to not be caught out of flash memory or spare batteries. You can always rent a luxurious lens if you don't think your needs will extend beyond your trip.

tnick771
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jan 21, 2017 07:07 |  #4

Benitoite wrote in post #18250934 (external link)
Iceland is a great opportunity. I encourage you to take photos. I regularly use the garbage el cheapo kit 75-300 also. It comes in handy when I want to lean out of a moving vehicle and get interesting shots of people doing interesting things or close ups of sunset clouds. I find 1/800" shutter in the daytime gets decent pictures. I'll use my amateur gear until it dies or I do. Not trying to be an Ansel Adams, I was born into the vacation photo bug thing however. I do try to pace myself so as to not be caught out of flash memory or spare batteries. You can always rent a luxurious lens if you don't think your needs will extend beyond your trip.

Renting a lens is actually a phenomenal idea, I hadn't thought about that.

flickr (external link)

tnick771
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jan 21, 2017 07:09 |  #5

In terms of nature photography - would my wide angle lens be good enough if i want to capture full nature scene? It seemed to do its job well in other situations but for some reason I'm having a hard time making that judgement now.

flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jan 21, 2017 07:29 |  #6

tnick771 wrote in post #18251145 (external link)
In terms of nature photography - would my wide angle lens be good enough if i want to capture full nature scene? .

Yes.

I'm not a big fan of the 18-55 unless stopped down. I suspect that the sun will still be relatively low on the horizon up there and light might be hard to come by. The primes wide open are probably better than the kit lens.

There is a new 70-300 out that looks really good. Any chance you could grab that, he'll, I'd probably sell the 18-55 and 75-300 to help fund it.

Edit:
https://petapixel.com ...i-first-lcd-info-display/ (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 21, 2017 07:32 |  #7

tnick771 wrote in post #18251142 (external link)

By the way, you can often buy a lens, use it for a few months and resell it for less than renting.

Especially if the lens you buy is already used. I bought a 100-400 used, kept it for six months, then sold it for the exact same price I paid.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tnick771
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
Jan 21, 2017 08:03 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18251156 (external link)
By the way, you can often buy a lens, use it for a few months and resell it for less than renting.

Especially if the lens you buy is already used. I bought a 100-400 used, kept it for six months, then sold it for the exact same price I paid.

Thanks for both comments, I've seen your comments before - always some decent wisdom in them

Thanks for your help

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Jan 21, 2017 12:32 |  #9

I am curious about something - is the reason you are going to Iceland just to take photos? I mean, is this solely a photography trip? Or, are you going for other reasons?

Should I think about grabbing a lens for nature photography?

Absolutely!

Currently shoot on a crop frame Canon . . . Any other tips so I don't squander this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

Yes. Considering that you shoot on a 1.6 crop Canon body, the biggest tip I can think of would be to grab one of these:
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ..._55_250mm_f_4_5_6_I​S.html (external link)

This 55-250mm is a stellar lens, and I don't think you could possibly find a better or more useful lens for the money.

I don't think that renting a lens is a good idea at all, as the rental prices are exorbitant. When you look at the price of a new lens, and then you look at the cost of renting that lens for a week or two, the rental prices just don't make any sense. You'd do better to buy a used lens, use it on your vacation, then sell it when you get back.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 21, 2017 12:37 |  #10

Rock what ya got.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 22, 2017 11:13 |  #11

Depends what you're shooting and from where, but unless you're shooting landscapes only I would take advantage of your rare photo opportunity and get a longer telephoto used then resell it if you can't justify keeping it once you're back. I would recommend the Sigma 150-600mm C along with the dock, that way you can MFA any front or back focusing for your camera before the trip. Don't waste your money renting unless the used price is out of your budget, as most gear you can buy used, keep for a few weeks or months then sell for the same amount.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Jan 22, 2017 11:28 |  #12

Frankly with any modern equipment, the ability to "capture the beauty" will probably depend more on your abilities than your camera equipment. Brush up on photography skills rather than camera enthusiatist skills.

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Jan 22, 2017 17:35 |  #13

I made just fine, actually better than fine, 24" prints from my T1i and 10-22 and 18-55.

The reasons I upgraded gear was not becasue I couldn't make good photos, its just easier in some situations with say a 17-40 than 18-55 simply becasue the 18-55 will be more prone to flare and the polarizer rotates as you focus. For those two little things you pay $$$$.

The FF cameras allowed me to shoot both landscapes and indoors low light, and actually the main reason I got my 5DII was to use the TS-E 17mm. Not becasue of the image quality at ISO100.

Unless you are going to rent a FF camera, the current best lenses and learn how to use them, I don't see the point. IMO if you can't make a great photo with a modern crop and the 10-22, you are not going to get a better one with something else. Unless there is something very specific you don't like.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,324 views & 2 likes for this thread
Heading to Iceland next month, nervous my gear won't capture the beauty
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.