Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 11 Dec 2016 (Sunday) 14:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tips for Cap and Gown shoots?

rickeykim
31 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Dec 11, 2016 14:33 |  #1

I've been taking a lot of cap and gown shoots and I wanted to know what you guys do to get different poses for models that are awkward. Here are some photos that I took recently.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

JonKline
190 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Chicago and sometimes Milwaukee
Dec 24, 2016 11:55 |  #2

She looks comfortable! I think poses are pretty similar no matter what hat people are wearing.

I always start my posing off with "let's just start with something comfortable for you, and I'll make tweaks as we go." Otherwise, I think I can see the fear in their eyes as I start to puppet them. I usually make tweaks to shift their weight, hand positions, etc. After I build a rapport, I'll start making suggestions about poses.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee DP (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Epic Dragon (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

IrishK
511 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Ireland
Dec 24, 2016 14:36 |  #3

She is out of focus in both of these. Are you trying to manually focus or is it an AF failure?

In #1 there is no focus on anything.

In #2 it's on her hands.

For a cap and gown shoot, you should take the the "holding the scroll" pose - it's highly advisory to have this formal shot in the bag as it's the one that will go on the wall.

Throwing the cap in the air can look cool, but be careful if it's a rental item (and it usually is) - you don't want your client incurring a charge if it ends up in the muck.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Dec 25, 2016 02:03 |  #4

I'd start with friends/group shots. This is an ice breaker to warm them up in front of the camera. This can be posed or photo journalistic style. Show some energy and get them excited about there special day!!

IrishK has a good point on throwing the cap..... I'll have to say I've suggested it and have not had angry rental companies charging $$$$ for damages.

Grab the parents/guardian or relatives and do the "boring" mandatory photos. The group shots and fun photos will be the memorable ones!!!

If you don't have fun and energy the photos will display it...... Get to know the grad and make the shoot special for them!!

HOSTED PHOTO

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

rejay14
Joined Mar 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Jan 23, 2017 05:34 |  #5

If you're new at this, bang it off in ETTL and "P" Mode. When you see why your shots may have failed, correct from there.

Move up to 1/200th, ISO 100, f7.1~ f11 in manual. Flash on ETTL. You'll start to get the hang of it. Read the internet from top to bottom, do it again, then when you feel confident, go out and f&%ing annoy every photog in this forum. You're going to get nit-picky/hate-mail at some point, that means that you've made the big time! LOLOLOL.

It's all a learning curve. Enjoy the ride my friend!!

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http://...www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

1,627 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for Cap and Gown shoots?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.