Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 13 Jan 2017 (Friday) 14:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Spawning Brook Trout

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 13, 2017 14:52 |  #1

October is the peak spawning time for Brook Trout in this high mountain stream in Colorado.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The female Brookie is in the front, treading water over her redd.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here the female fans her tail digging her redd or nest. This provides a hollowed out place in a stream bed that will not be scoured out by the stream's current. Into this redd she deposits roe, then the males come, fight and deposit milt. Silt then covers the fertilized eggs providing protection until they "hatch" and move downstream.

I just lay on the bank and reached out submerging my Nikon AW1 camera with 10mm lens guessing at the framing and fired away. Sometimes it surprises you what you end up with.

Underwater photography is fun!

sponsored links
zantop
117 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Florida
Jan 17, 2017 11:22 |  #2

Really neat — those are beautiful fish!

NickZantop.com - my portfolio (external link) | ItsJustLight.com - photography tips & tutorials (external link)

Mel-S
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Eastern Idaho
Jan 17, 2017 13:32 |  #3

Good stuff!

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 18, 2017 15:59 |  #4

Thanks for the comments guys!

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Jan 18, 2017 16:41 |  #5

Great pics! Really cool!

7DMKII/Sigma 10-20/Sigma 24-70 2.8/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 150-600
www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Jan 20, 2017 19:37 |  #6

WildImages wrote in post #18243444 (external link)
October is the peak spawning time for Brook Trout in this high mountain stream in Colorado.

Underwater photography is fun!

Great shots! Their cousins the Dolly Varden spawn at the same time in Alaska!

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 21, 2017 08:00 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #7

Would love to get the Dolly Vardens but for the moment I need better Brown Trout. They also spawn at the same time. These fish are not hard to photograph. What is hard is finding a stream where one can do it effectively!

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Jan 21, 2017 19:38 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #8

This is also true of Dollies. They are about 2 orders of magnitude less abundant than salmon - have seen fewer than about 50 in spawning areas altogether. Some years more than other years - very few this past year - I got none spawning. I have found a few spots where they school up which may make it seem otherwise. There were some schooled up just downstream of the Coho Salmon school that I posted pix of yesterday. I put more effort into my Dolly shots than my salmon shots on a per shot basis other than those species not found near where I live.

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 21, 2017 19:56 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #9

Where in Alaska do you live?

I have snorkeled the Inside Passage for Dog and Pinks. Also Misty Fjord for Pinks. Water pretty turbid both places. Full of algae in the Passage during the summer too.

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by fish_shooter. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 21, 2017 20:30 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #10

I live in what is call south central Alaska. There is coastline to south of us both east (where your were) and west. The best places to shoot are small creeks. Anything called river is not good and many creeks are not good. The water can be so shallow that I can't submerge my lens port in it. Your tiny Nikon is the ticket for these spots. Keep in mind that light is much weaker in the north, even when it is light all day, so that high ISO has to be used.

I have just a few river shots that are OK and that was in early spring when flow was low but things were bright and sunny - it was a small river too. More like a large creek. The challenge is getting to good spots as there are so few roads. I have several places to go that take an hour or more of hiking much of it very challenging hiking if I was carrying nothing. I may do one or two of these per year. The book Highway Angler is good for finding sports on our rather limited road system.

I do not snorkel but do use waders to get into the water. I have a couple of spots where I can keep my street shoes on - e.g., standing on a culvert using a polecam. I use the polecam as well to place my housing where it is too deep to wade. Salmon tend to be on the bottom so it is important to place the camera on the bottom too.

Steven Frink posted a blog on my techniques. I am not using this flash rig these days as it was awkward to carry. I called it the moose rack!
http://stephenfrink.bl​ogspot.com ...ine-on-photographing.html (external link)

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 22, 2017 06:17 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #11

My goodness a wonderful source of information in your reply. It gets the inventive juices flowing but my system has limitations that I am not sure I could overcome like remote firing. What I did take away though is strobe positioning as I have always thought of only a camera mounted strobe. Since water bends light towards a perpendicular line with the water's surface, the strobe, single strobe in my case, would have to be aimed correctly or the light coverage wide enough to compensate for aiming inaccuracies.

I read where many "clear" shots seem to be taken with either fisheye lenses or extreme wide angle lenses. This must position the camera very close to the subject which seems to mitigate the turbidity of the water. I have purchased a fisheye attachment for the AW1 lenses to see if this season's shooting can work on that problem.

I will be back in the Ketchikan area the end of August. Hopefully the weather will, at least for a few days, cooperate. As you know, rain gauges in that area are quite tall!

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Jan 22, 2017 18:41 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #12

I am now lighting my fisheye shots with a single wide-angle strobe mounted at 12 O'clock. There are a couple of videos in the salmon species galleries on my website that show what I mean.

There must be a stream or two in the Ketchikan area that will work. Will you have a vehicle? There is enough of a road system there, see: https://www.google.com ...55.3422222!4d-131.6461111 (external link)
Go up the Tongass Highway and Ward Cove road. The roads cross a lot of streams.

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 23, 2017 07:04 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #13

Yes, I will have a vehicle and plan to do Ward Creek. Also Lunch Creek and south to Herring Cove. There is a hatchery there so bears will be marauding that area quite a bit.

Thanks for the strobe tip. I will also check out the website. I will be handicapped by the 1/60 sync speed as well as the length of the optical trip cable, only 15 inches. I haven't bought the strobe yet, the Nikon SB-N10.

Again, thanks for all the tips!

sponsored links

1,449 views & 20 likes for this thread
Spawning Brook Trout
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.