Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 23 Jan 2017 (Monday) 23:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dell Monitor will not come out of energy save mode.

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Jan 23, 2017 23:20 |  #1

Last night I plugged the HDMI out of the monitor into my laptop, to rule out monitor issues, no issues, monitor came on immediately. no reports of in energy save mode.

I took it to the local computer shop to trouble shoot today, nothing wrong, everything performing like it should. . Tech also cleaned inside of case, (it needed it) removed video card, cleaned and reinstalled card. checked power supply that fine also He plugged it into his monitor, computer booted immediately and monitor working perfectly As said, everything running correctly in his shop.

Took it home computer booted, but it would not wake up monitor, monitor says in energy mode. It suppose to go into that mode after a period of time when not being used.. You wake it up by clicking on keyboard, or moving mouse.

I goggled this issue this evening , and read many with the same issue, unfortunately no one responded back how they resolved there issue

My educated guess, when computer updated, possibly setting became changed, that keeps it in sleep mode.

Will return to shop tomorrow to let them evaluate again, this time I will bring my monitor

Has anyone else experienced this, and what was your resolution.

Thank for your time.

My Gear flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Nogo.
Jan 23, 2017 23:27 |  #2

My laptop with an external Dell monitor will do that at times. My problem is just the HTML connections. Turn the cable around backwards or swap the cables on the TV with those on the Laptop and it has always solved the problem.

If it is more complicated than that it is probably somewhere in the advanced power savings settings.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Bianchi. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 23, 2017 23:38 |  #3

Nogo wrote in post #18253895 (external link)
My laptop with an external Dell monitor will do that at times. My problem is just the HTML connections. Turn the cable around backwards or swap the cables on the TV with those on the Laptop and it has always solved the problem.

If it is more complicated than that it is probably somewhere in the advanced power savings settings.

I use a dedicated desktop for my monitor, not my laptop, I used it last night just to test to see if there was an issue with monitor. Monitor worked fine with laptop, and computer worked fine at shop when tech plugged into his monitor. .

As you say, something may have changed when windows updated to the advance power saving settings. I never personally touched or changed those settings, and it had been running fine.

Btw its a windows 7 OS

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 24, 2017 07:22 |  #4

I would think it's either the monitor cable, cable connection, or video card. Did you use the same cable to connect to the laptop? Did you carry the cable with you to the shop? Try a different cable. Maybe if you're using DVI then try HDMI, etc.,.

Pull the video card and try onboard video (if it has it).

Had you had the cable disconnected prior to this problem? Any trash, dust, paper, small airplane engines, blocking any plug or pin? (Magnifier glass comes in handy)

Having not changed anything and the problem suddenly appearing seems like would point to the signal path...monitor interface, cable, video or card interface.

I believe that the monitor is working properly as designed. It is not receiving a signal from the computer thus it's "thinks" there is no need in wasting electricity and powers down.

Try a different cable.

Is the computer set for the correct monitor?

Just shooting some thoughts your way, I'm no tech...

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Jan 24, 2017 09:42 |  #5

Intheswamp wrote in post #18254062 (external link)
I would think it's either the monitor cable, cable connection, or video card. Did you use the same cable to connect to the laptop? Did you carry the cable with you to the shop? Try a different cable. Maybe if you're using DVI then try HDMI, etc.,.

Used DVI and then tried with HDIM. When I tried testing my monitor hooking up the HDMI to my laptop, monitor worked.

Pull the video card and try onboard video (if it has it).

Did remove video card, and reinstalled, at this point I am not sure if MB has a onboard video . I will explore that also.

Had you had the cable disconnected prior to this problem? Any trash, dust, paper, small airplane engines, blocking any plug or pin? (Magnifier glass comes in handy)

A DVI cable was connected between monitor and desktop, so those ports seen no dust. I tried the HDMI from monitor to laptop, with no issues either

Having not changed anything and the problem suddenly appearing seems like would point to the signal path...monitor interface, cable, video or card interface.

Monitor works with laptop, not with desktop, desktop worked with techs monitor, not my monitor..
I still say it may be windows updated and changed settings

I believe that the monitor is working properly as designed. It is not receiving a signal from the computer thus it's "thinks" there is no need in wasting electricity and powers down.

I agree monitor is working properly.

Try a different cable.

I did, I tried the HDMI out of the monitor to my laptop, monitor worked.

Is the computer set for the correct monitor?

Yes it has been running fine for some time with the DVI out of monitor into Desktop

Just shooting some thoughts your way, I'm no tech...

I do appreciate your input.. thank you Ed

Best wishes,
Ed

I'll be heading back later this morning to tech to further test, this time I will bring my monitor and HDMI and DVI cables.

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Jan 24, 2017 10:53 |  #6

My sister inlaw assisted me yesterday in hooking back my monitor to desktop, she put the HDMI in wrong HDMI port of desktop, while I was putting the HDMI to the monitor.

Problem solved, HDMI cable was in wrong HDMI port in back of desktop..

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 24, 2017 12:17 |  #7

I'm glad things worked out!

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Jan 24, 2017 19:46 |  #8

Intheswamp wrote in post #18254287 (external link)
I'm glad things worked out!

Ed

Thanks Ed

sponsored links

971 views & 1 like for this thread
Dell Monitor will not come out of energy save mode.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.