Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 24, 2017 13:26 |  #15871

lowrider wrote in post #18254320 (external link)
I updated mine on day one. Actually hour one. No reason not to IMHO.

digital paradise wrote in post #18254341 (external link)
Me too and have never had an issue. Can't remember which one, the 7D2 or 5D3 but it corrected and AF issue at 100mm with the 70-200 2.8 II IS.

Agreed, same here.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 24, 2017 13:54 |  #15872

It was the 7D2. Now I remember there were questions about hidden AF fixes.

Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera’s AF function may not operate properly at a focal length of approximately 100mm when used with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens.

https://www.slrlounge.​com ...e-update-fixes-af-issues/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Websiteexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 8 months ago by digital paradise.
Jan 24, 2017 13:55 |  #15873

I just read though them all. Some important fixes IMO.

Image Editing OK

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 24, 2017 15:13 |  #15874

Thanks everyone, I feel more comfortable that I made the right choice updating. My concern was mainly that I use many newish lenses from third party manufacturers, and I wasn't sure if the original firmware would support all of them the way it should. From reading the various firmware updates it doesn't seem like any updates were made that would affect any of my lenses, but better safe than sorry. Now all I need is for this lousy weather to end so I can test my 7d2 out in the field where it belongs.

And everyone in this thread was right, the first time I hammered down on the shutter in burst mode it definitely reminded me of a machine gun - amazing to think a photo is being taken with every click because that's a whole lot of clicks in a small amount of time! Very impressed coming from my 6fps Rebel T6s.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Gregsiem
Joined May 2008
Toronto
Jan 24, 2017 15:33 |  #15875

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18254426 (external link)
.... Now all I need is for this lousy weather to end so I can test my 7d2 out in the field where it belongs.

Been waiting for that for the past couple of months here in Ontario. I think we have had one sunny Sunday since November !

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 24, 2017 16:00 |  #15876

Gregsiem wrote in post #18254450 (external link)
Been waiting for that for the past couple of months here in Ontario. I think we have had one sunny Sunday since November !

Another ½ of driving around country roads trying to find some owls or hawks. Only consistent thing in the sky this of year are ravens and they steer clear of people. No fun to shoot them anyway. I hate this time of year for larger birds. Some people are lucky and find or know where snowy owls, etc live. We got a tip and found a great grey on Sat. I was testing my 5D4 out. Gonna head back there on a sunny day.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​251586

Image Editing OK

Gregsiem
Joined May 2008
Toronto
Jan 24, 2017 16:14 |  #15877

digital paradise wrote in post #18254471 (external link)
Another ½ of driving around country roads trying to find some owls or hawks. Only consistent thing in the sky this of year are ravens and they steer clear of people. No fun to shoot them anyway. I hate this time of year for larger birds. Some people are lucky and find or know where snowy owls, etc live. We got a tip and found a great grey on Sat. I was testing my 5D4 out. Gonna head back there on a sunny day.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​251586

Snowy Owls take work to find, but you can easily see where they have been spotted before using eBird.
They tend to hang around in a fairly contained area (say 10 square KM), so you can drive a grid around previous recent spottings (and leave a record on eBird for other spotters and researchers if you find one)

http://ebird.org ...=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=cur (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 24, 2017 16:27 |  #15878

Gregsiem wrote in post #18254484 (external link)
Snowy Owls take work to find, but you can easily see where they have been spotted before using eBird.
They tend to hang around in a fairly contained area (say 10 square KM), so you can drive a grid around previous recent spottings (and leave a record on eBird for other spotters and researchers if you find one)

Thanks for the link. That will be a great addition to my resources. I got the great grey tip from locals reporting sightings and it winds up on here.

http://birding.aba.org​/maillist/MB (external link)

I also made contact with a bird preservation organization. They may let me hang out with with a seasoned spotter in March.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 24, 2017 16:31 |  #15879

LOL. I checked out the locations in my area and one of the people who reported one is the person that offered to set up with as seasoned spotter.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by digital paradise. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 24, 2017 16:56 |  #15880

Gregsiem wrote in post #18254484 (external link)

I again have to thank so much for that link. I checked out the great greys and that area where found one on Saturday is a extra flame hot spot. There were a few sightings on side roads on the way to our cottage I did not know about. I took the afternoon to drive around the country roads in that area last Thursday and I was out only about a mile from one sighting. It is 3 hr drive so we are usually on a mission. We try to spot but it gets tiring at highway speeds.

Gonna have to check other species out as well.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
11,815 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 24, 2017 17:32 |  #15881

Gonna have to learn how to spell sightings. In my defence the birds were technically siting.

Image Editing OK

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Pondrader.
Jan 24, 2017 17:40 |  #15882

digital paradise wrote in post #18254341 (external link)
Me too and have never had an issue. Can't remember which one, the 7D2 or 5D3 but it corrected and AF issue at 100mm with the 70-200 2.8 II IS.

Yes 1.04 did correct the issue with the 70-200LII 2.8 but if you don't have one ?? and if you upgraded right away theres no reference. All I know is how my camera worked before the upgrades and after. I think everyone here can and could see that. The problem with the camera was do to tech error nothing else, if I could go back in time I would never send my camera to canon service for a small wheel problem but live with it for years to come. The camera's I have used have been ok but I called my first 7DII the magic camera way before the world thought so and the one I have now is only a small peace of that camera in speed and accuracy of AF and metering. It just worked the way they should from the factory. MFAing lenses was pushed on me with these other camera's and I've had a few in my hands. I'm not against it and totally understand the concept of variances in camera to camera and lens to lens. Looking back at any days shooting ... normally in the 1500 to 2500 range, there were so many really good images that I go back now and process for posting and sharing. Hers's one of the last images I shot with 321 aka last three dig of my first one, Thats how I keep track. I shot this and handed it to my buddy ..he dropped it and Canon in Toronto on his way to work. I processed this just a bit ago and posted it on Flickr yesterday... Its kind of on fire for a guy like me. It hit explore right off the bat and was invited into 11 group's and is still going strong, hard to argue the images, they just seem to work.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Jan 24, 2017 17:48 |  #15883

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18254426 (external link)
Thanks everyone, I feel more comfortable that I made the right choice updating. My concern was mainly that I use many newish lenses from third party manufacturers, and I wasn't sure if the original firmware would support all of them the way it should. From reading the various firmware updates it doesn't seem like any updates were made that would affect any of my lenses, but better safe than sorry. Now all I need is for this lousy weather to end so I can test my 7d2 out in the field where it belongs.

And everyone in this thread was right, the first time I hammered down on the shutter in burst mode it definitely reminded me of a machine gun - amazing to think a photo is being taken with every click because that's a whole lot of clicks in a small amount of time! Very impressed coming from my 6fps Rebel T6s.

-Joe

I would say Joe that a couple guys saying update is no reason to do so. and if It ain't broke don't fix it. I have made much money off of guys that thought updating there computers firmware and software was a good idea. One more thing.. This camera was made for lousy weather. Good luck with it.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Itsed65
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
Hercules, CA
Jan 24, 2017 17:51 |  #15884

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/768/31680471793_8f4e361846_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QguG​wV] (external link)
B&W Raptor #20 (external link) by lennycarl08 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D MK III, 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, and Fuji XT-1
My Flickr (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Jan 24, 2017 19:13 |  #15885

Pondrader wrote in post #18254562 (external link)
Yes 1.04 did correct the issue with the 70-200LII 2.8 but if you don't have one ?? and if you upgraded right away theres no reference. All I know is how my camera worked before the upgrades and after. I think everyone here can and could see that. The problem with the camera was do to tech error nothing else, if I could go back in time I would never send my camera to canon service for a small wheel problem but live with it for years to come. The camera's I have used have been ok but I called my first 7DII the magic camera way before the world thought so and the one I have now is only a small peace of that camera in speed and accuracy of AF and metering. It just worked the way they should from the factory. MFAing lenses was pushed on me with these other camera's and I've had a few in my hands. I'm not against it and totally understand the concept of variances in camera to camera and lens to lens. Looking back at any days shooting ... normally in the 1500 to 2500 range, there were so many really good images that I go back now and process for posting and sharing. Hers's one of the last images I shot with 321 aka last three dig of my first one, Thats how I keep track. I shot this and handed it to my buddy ..he dropped it and Canon in Toronto on his way to work. I processed this just a bit ago and posted it on Flickr yesterday... Its kind of on fire for a guy like me. It hit explore right off the bat and was invited into 11 group's and is still going strong, hard to argue the images, they just seem to work.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=182​54562&i=i37142858
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=182​54562&i=i174886518
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

I have always wondered if I should upgrade but heard that some people had more issues after the update. I do micro adjust the lenses, I have found that the tamron 150-600 seems to go out of adjustment anyway, I guess its pretty hard to get it right with a zoom lens. Bottom line is I have learned to work with the quirks of this camera with this lens. I do know that the 7DII with my 70-200F4LIS attached it always spot on focus wise, can honestly say its is 100% correct unless i I make a fault, Its a killer combo. I shot over 1000 photos of dog agility at high speed and maybe three were out of focus. This is the reason I have ignored the upgrades. Like wise we have chosen to ignore windows 10 and stuck with windows 8.1 while friends are whinging about problems with their computer since upgrading.

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,793,244 views & 76619 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.