Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 14 Dec 2015 (Monday) 10:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Techniques for better interaction with subjects

D ­ 550D
404 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Slovenia
Dec 14, 2015 10:21 |  #1

I've been analyzing my portrait photos looking for ways to improve them. Portraits to me are mostly a hobby - a fun way to express some creative ideas, follow a theme or develop a technical aspect of photography.

There are many ways to improve my people shots like better control of light, better locations or better postprocessing workflow, but the main thing holding me back would be the interaction with my subjects.

What are some of your techniques for making subjects relaxed in front of the camera, so that they act like themselves or that their poses come naturally and don't look so stiff.
In particular the biggest challenge for me is the facial expression.
A blank stare or a forced smile rarely help a photo. What do you do when it comes to facial expressions your subjects?

Thanks for your input.

http://domenulbl.blogs​pot.com/external link
550D|Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art|Sigma EX 70-200 OS|Nifty Fifty|Samyang 85 1.4|430 EX II|

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Dec 14, 2015 10:56 |  #2

Be yourself. You relax and that energy will transfer and that gives the photographer a sense of confidence. My advice is pay attention to your subject. Watch their natural body language. Don't twist and turn them into pre packaged positions that are probably not going to feel natural to them. Getting them to relax and let their guard down is the key.

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Dec 14, 2015 11:10 |  #3

Chat with them. Find a common interest or subject. Remember that portraits are supposed to be fun and getting them to laugh relaxes everyone and gets the most out of them.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,693 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Dec 15, 2015 17:27 |  #4

Practice your skill at one-liners.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Dec 15, 2015 18:00 |  #5

Don't tell them to smile.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

zoomguitar1
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2016
Jun 07, 2016 19:45 |  #6

Does anyone know of some good fly-on-the-wall videos of a photographer naturally interacting with a new client, not staged. For me too, portrait photography is mostly a hobby, but if I was an apprentice I would probably learn the most just by watching a mentor at work. Seeing the interaction between photographer and client, and seeing what kind of manner and banter works best would be very useful

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by nathancarter.
Jun 08, 2016 12:53 |  #7

I think Peter Hurley has some videos like that. Not really fly-on-the-wall style, but plenty of interaction with the subject and engaging, directing.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Kliphe
Joined Jun 2010
Canyon, Tx
Jul 04, 2016 20:59 |  #8

I am watching a Chris Orwig video from Creativelive that is really good.

Always be ready to give reason for your hope

Joker-USMC
32 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Sep 22, 2016 08:40 |  #9

i have been accused of being a bit too "up tight" at times! definitely have to learn to relax a little because when you're tense, the subject, who is probably already a little tense, is going to get even more tense. it can snowball into a horrible experience for both of you.

one piece of advice in particular ... talk to them like they're already your friend(s), even if you barely know them. i've found this very quickly helps them to relax and become more comfortable.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Sep 22, 2016 14:44 |  #10

Look outside of photography for your answer. The skill you seek is not a photography skill but is a skill in relating to people. Find how to make yourself more relatable and appear more friendly and inviting as a person.

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Sep 22, 2016 20:04 |  #11

http://www.clickinmoms​.com ...ions-from-kids-in-photos/ (external link)

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Jan 25, 2017 08:45 |  #12

A tip from left field:

Use a tripod and get your face out of the camera while interacting with the subject.

I'm old school enough to have done my first portrait work with a twin-lens-reflect that had a waist-level groundglass. That camera was a natural for a tripod. I looked down at the groundglass to compose and focus, then did my photography looking directly at the subject.

People prefer to interact with faces, not with lenses. You smile, they smile. They can hear you better and feel more comfortable having a conversation with a face they can see.

This is 1000% more true with children, for whom at least 90% of the conversation is through facial expression.

Most photographers these days use a tripod if they must; I use a tripod whenever I can. I'll combine that with a radio remote control so I don't even have to be stuck with the camera. If I want the subject to look to one side, I'll actually go to that position and have them look at me while I continue to talk to them, then release the shutter remotely.

That is also a great technique to use with children. Put the camera on a tripod, then get on the floor close to the children just out of view of the camera and interact directly with them. That has the side benefit of making them more likely to stay in place. I can't take the credit--long time "Toys R Us" commercial photographer Jack Reznicki gave me that tip while waiting for a plane in Atlanta.

sponsored links

8,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Techniques for better interaction with subjects
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.