Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Jan 2017 (Monday) 17:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is the best advice for selling gear?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 24, 2017 05:22 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #18253863 (external link)
If you go to USPS.com and buy your postage online (requires weight and destination address), the tracking number is right on the postage/label you print at home. Very simple.

plus, it is significantly cheaper than going into the PO.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2009
USA/Northeast
Jan 24, 2017 05:45 |  #17

What great responses everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions!

Another question that I didn't see answered, was about boxes for photography gear. Do you buy special boxes? If so where do you get them? I have all the original boxes, but not the mailable ones.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jan 24, 2017 05:49 |  #18

SJC from VT wrote in post #18253610 (external link)
I have never sold anything online, so I'm asking for any, and all advice for a perfect transaction. Do most people collect money through PayPal? I know that has to do with using your email address, but I'm not sure just how it works. I have a few Canon lenses to sell. I do have a PayPal account that I use for purchases. Any help would be most appreciated.

Great thread, Sandy. I am ready to go on eBay, trying to sell my 1D3 and it's a first for me also. I had the same questions, so thanks!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 24, 2017 05:59 |  #19

SJC from VT wrote in post #18254009 (external link)
What great responses everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions!

Another question that I didn't see answered, was about boxes for photography gear. Do you buy special boxes? If so where do you get them? I have all the original boxes, but not the mailable ones.

Staples office supply store has a variety of boxes and bubble wrap packing material type stuff. Which is another reason I like dealing local, pretty sure i spent 10 bucks on cardboard and cheap plastic. lol

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 24, 2017 06:02 |  #20

SJC from VT wrote in post #18254009 (external link)

The Post Office also has boxes. Since I live out in the middle of nowhere, and buy lots of stuff online, I GET lots of boxes and packing material when receiving stuff.

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18254013 (external link)
Great thread, Sandy. I am ready to go on eBay, trying to sell my 1D3 and it's a first for me also. I had the same questions, so thanks!

Levina, keep in mind that E-Bay charges 8-10% of your final sale price as a fee. On top of that, PayPal will charge you just over 3%. That can turn a $500 sale into a $435 sale. If you are going to go E-Bay, consider lowering your price on CL or POTN accordingly, first.

I quit selling on E-Bay because E-Bay and PayPal both side with the buyer (necessarily so, I admit). I sold a good-condition 500D on E-Bay. Short story: he complained, I denied, E-Bay and Paypal gave refunds, he returned a broken 500D. I won the dispute when serial numbers of the camera I shipped did not match that of the camera he returned. After all that, I still got dinged almost 13% of my sale price, and it took 6 weeks to resolve the matter. No thanks.

Tom

Bassat
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 24, 2017 06:03 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #21

See first response in post #20.

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 24, 2017 06:22 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18254021 (external link)

see post #16

Bassat
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 24, 2017 06:30 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18254021 (external link)

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18254031 (external link)
see post #16

Just trying to point out that I get LOTS of FREE boxes and peanuts/bubblewrap sent TO me, my long lost brother. :) (I won't reference other posts by number anymore, either. Thanks.) :)

Tom

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 24, 2017 06:36 |  #24

Bassat wrote in post #18254039 (external link)
Just trying to point out that I get LOTS of FREE boxes and peanuts/bubblewrap sent TO me, my long lost brother. :) (I won't reference other posts by number anymore, either. Thanks.) :)

see, i thought you were talking about getting the boxes at the PO, which obviously negates the benefit of buying postage online. :-P

i'm off to make a buck, have a great day everyone.

bjbsav
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Savannah, GA
Jan 24, 2017 10:33 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #25

I agree 100%. I made my last Ebay sale last month and I have decided to never to it again. I had a $800 item sell for $725-$65 ebay fee - $35 paypal fee - $25 insured shipping = a net of $600 for a Canon 70-300L in like new shape.

My advice would be to wait it out here or lower your price a bit on any item not selling. I try to be careful of new members and known scammers.

From now I will only sell here, locally or craigslist.

Have a great day!!!

My name is Ben from Savannah, GA
Canon cameras and glass
Facebook - Brengman Photography (external link) My Website (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jan 24, 2017 10:55 |  #26

Bassat wrote in post #18254019 (external link)
Levina, keep in mind that E-Bay charges 8-10% of your final sale price as a fee. On top of that, PayPal will charge you just over 3%. That can turn a $500 sale into a $435 sale. If you are going to go E-Bay, consider lowering your price on CL or POTN accordingly, first.

I had no idea about eBay charging that much! 8-10% is really an awful lot. Plus 3% Paypal fee. And there's also shipping. Secured of course. Yeah, I can see how you end up with considerably less for your gear than expected. Thanks for the info, Tom.

I quit selling on E-Bay because E-Bay and PayPal both side with the buyer (necessarily so, I admit). I sold a good-condition 500D on E-Bay. Short story: he complained, I denied, E-Bay and Paypal gave refunds, he returned a broken 500D. I won the dispute when serial numbers of the camera I shipped did not match that of the camera he returned. After all that, I still got dinged almost 13% of my sale price, and it took 6 weeks to resolve the matter. No thanks.

See, this is the thing I worry about on eBay: all the scammers and how eBay and PP as a rule side with the buyer. From what I read a seller is pretty vulnerable on eBay.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Bassat
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Bassat.
Jan 24, 2017 11:18 |  #27

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18254207 (external link)
I had no idea about eBay charging that much! 8-10% is really an awful lot. Plus 3% Paypal fee. And there's also shipping. Secured of course. Yeah, I can see how you end up with considerably less for your gear than expected. Thanks for the info, Tom.

See, this is the thing I worry about on eBay: all the scammers and how eBay and PP as a rule side with the buyer. From what I read a seller is pretty vulnerable on eBay.

I am sure well over 99% of E-Bay purchases are legitimate. But I've been in the 1%, and it sucks, even if you can protect yourself. The fees are confiscatory. I'll dump (low price, not junk quality) an item here or CL before I resort to E-Bay for selling.

I just averaged the last 10 E-Bay sales of 1DIII in the US: $532. After fees, that leaves you $468, minus shipping costs. Shipping a 1DIII in the US, with Insurance will run about $25. I'd list mine here for $450, and take the first offer I got at $400+. Of course, when I list something my goal is to sell it, not maximize ROI.

In May, I averaged E-bay prices ($600) and listed my 1DIII on CL for $475. I sold it the same day for $475. The buyer drove over 100 miles to get it.

EDIT:
To put E-Bay fees in perspective, my local camera shop has a consignment fee of 25% for used gear. They do thoroughly test and inspect gear before accepting, and offer a 90 NQA warranty, so they generally have higher than average 'used' prices. Like buying 'used' from Adorama or B&H.

Tom

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,075 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jan 24, 2017 18:01 |  #28

Just to add that with most camera gear, you can fit them inside a medium size priority mail flat rate box. The shipping is about $13 to anywhere in the US and 2 to 3 days delivery time. The price could be lower if you can buy the postage online. The weight limit is like up to 70lb. So, regardless how much it weights, it will cost the same. Just get the box from your local post office. Of course, you save on shipping by actually paying for the postage for its actual weight. However, you would need to weight the package. Or to take it to your local post office using your own shipping box and to have the clerk actually weighting the box. For some people, this could mean long line at the post office.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

SJC ­ from ­ VT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2009
USA/Northeast
Jan 25, 2017 09:11 |  #29

TooManyShots wrote in post #18254586 (external link)
Just to add that with most camera gear, you can fit them inside a medium size priority mail flat rate box. The shipping is about $13 to anywhere in the US and 2 to 3 days delivery time. The price could be lower if you can buy the postage online. The weight limit is like up to 70lb. So, regardless how much it weights, it will cost the same. Just get the box from your local post office. Of course, you save on shipping by actually paying for the postage for its actual weight. However, you would need to weight the package. Or to take it to your local post office using your own shipping box and to have the clerk actually weighting the box. For some people, this could mean long line at the post office.

More great advice, thank you so much!

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 25, 2017 13:15 |  #30

TooManyShots wrote in post #18254586 (external link)
Just to add that with most camera gear, you can fit them inside a medium size priority mail flat rate box. The shipping is about $13 to anywhere in the US and 2 to 3 days delivery time.

Just a reminder, it's $13.45 with only $50 of insurance. USPS Priority is generally safe, but I would never ship anything of value without insuring it. Just for reference, my $900 7D2 shipped Priority Medium flat rate and cost the sender $24.50 to ship including insurance for the full value.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

3,820 views & 24 likes for this thread
What is the best advice for selling gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.