Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 25 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 19:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DPP is rediculously slow.

utfrag
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 25, 2017 19:42 |  #1

Hi, thanks for looking.

I've just bought a 5D Mk4, upgrading from a Mk2.

Ive always used DPP3, I had tried DPP4 prior to my camera upgrade, found it painfully slow with the 5D Mk2 raws, so reverted back to DPP3.

DPP3 doesn't support the 5D4, so I have no choice but to use DPP4.

I'm finding DPP4 painfully slow, it takes several seconds for changes to take place when I make any adjustments, and to convert a Raw to Jpg takes around 40 seconds, this is going to add so much time to my edits when I'm doing weddings, that I'm considering sending the camera back.

My PC is around 6 years old, but was high spec when I bought it, it has an i7 quad running at 3.2ghz, 12gb of DDR3, a solid state drive, and a high end GPU.

When I look at the CPU usage during a Raw Conversion, its constantly spiking to 98%.

I've never had a problem with my PC, has run everything smoothly since the day I got it, DPP3 is instant, Raw files convert in 6-8 seconds, slider changes are instant. As I previously stated, DPP4 is slow regardless of whether I'm converting Raws from my Mk2 or Raws from my Mk4, I don't believe its anything to do with the size of the raw files, just the program software itself.

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

sponsored links
Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jan 25, 2017 19:52 |  #2

Makes me think canon switched to a more computationally expensive algorithm.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 25, 2017 21:29 |  #3

I thought DPP 3 was slow. DPP 4 is slower. I use LR 5.7 almost exclusively, and a bit of PSE 12.

Tom

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,259 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Post has been edited 9 months ago by rrblint.
Jan 25, 2017 22:03 |  #4

I'd try a different RAW processor. RAW THERAPEE (external link) is free.

Mark

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Jan 26, 2017 00:44 |  #5

utfrag wrote in post #18255514 (external link)
I'm finding DPP4 painfully slow, it takes several seconds for changes to take place when I make any adjustments, and to convert a Raw to Jpg takes around 40 seconds, this is going to add so much time to my edits when I'm doing weddings, that I'm considering sending the camera back.

I also have this same issue and I can understand your frustration especially when you have large volumes of wedding photo's to edit individually.
In my case I am a wildlife photographer but only edit around 10 photo's a week so I can tolerate this. I download canon 1ds3 & 1d4 files and converting from Raw to JPG can take 30-40 seconds. I more so experience also Flickr slow editing times, where I can wait 1-2 mins for a change to take place.

I actually really like DPP4 and prefer it to Photoshop and I would not want to go back to DPP3.

I have come to expect that the only answer is to replace my 5 year old PC with a later faster spec (see my PC spec below). I too agree I don't believe its anything to do with the size of the raw files, just the program software itself and never experienced it with DPP3

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

PaulSoebekti
149 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post has been edited 9 months ago by PaulSoebekti.
Jan 26, 2017 12:23 |  #6

Under Preferences in DPP4, General Settings:
- delete/purge Temp File and
- set disk cache to max 32GB.

Under Image Processing 2:
- check graphics processor (when not greyed out - i.e. if available)
Hope it helps.

Paul

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,077 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 26, 2017 18:16 |  #7

I tried those tings except graphics processor. NR settings responded a little faster. DLO still took 9 seconds. I output 2 separate files. One took 42 seconds and the other 45.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

utfrag
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 26, 2017 18:31 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #8

Thanks for the reply, Ive never used Lightroom, I'll see if I can get hold of the latest version and give it a bash.

utfrag
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 26, 2017 18:33 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #9

Hi RRBLINT, Thanks for the reply. I downloaded Raw Therapee, theres a lot more to it than DPP, but for freeware you cant complain. My initial impressions are it does a bit to much, but I'll look into a few tutorials and see if I can get to grips with it. Its faster than DPP4, a raw to jpg took about 20 seconds with this one.

utfrag
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 26, 2017 18:35 as a reply to PCousins's post |  #10

Thanks for your comment PCousins, I think I'm leaning more and more towards shelling out for a new PC, could have done without it to be honest, but needs must. I'll see how I get on and take it from there. I have got in touch with Canon to see if they can Patch DPP3 to open the Mk4 raw files, so I'm going to see if I get any positive reply from them first.

utfrag
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Jan 26, 2017 18:37 as a reply to PaulSoebekti's post |  #11

Thanks for the reply PaulSoebekti, I applied the first settings, but the graphics processor one was indeed greyed out, from looking on other forums, I think this is because I'm using a AMD GPU.

I noticed a slight increase in conversion speed with the settings.;-)a

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,077 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by digital paradise. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 26, 2017 19:43 |  #12

utfrag wrote in post #18256293 (external link)
Thanks for the reply, Ive never used Lightroom, I'll see if I can get hold of the latest version and give it a bash.

Free 30 day trial. Don't get lured into the subscription unless that is what you want. Adobe makes it hard to find the stand alone.

If you do decide to get it make sure you are careful where you place the catalogue when you first open it. If you don't pick a location LR will and it can be hard to find. You can always move it later.

LR takes a bit of getting used to. In the develop mode just start at the top at the Basic palette and work your way down. You will see a Sharpening palette. That is for capture sharpening and I compare that to DPP's DLO. Final output sharpening is on the export page. When you choose to export a file the export page comes up.

Also be careful where you import a folder from and always move and rename a file within within LR. If you import from your desktop, edit and move that folder from your desktop to another location you will lose your edits. You can go into that folder using DPP and any other software and it won't effect LR edits.

Here is an example of me moving a file within LR after an import. Just drag it.

IMAGE: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/Lightroom/Untitled_zpsonuoqzl5.jpg~original

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Benitoite
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Jan 26, 2017 23:08 |  #13

utfrag wrote in post #18256294 (external link)
Hi RRBLINT, Thanks for the reply. I downloaded Raw Therapee, theres a lot more to it than DPP, but for freeware you cant complain. My initial impressions are it does a bit to much, but I'll look into a few tutorials and see if I can get to grips with it. Its faster than DPP4, a raw to jpg took about 20 seconds with this one.

I was way overwhelmed with rawtherapee (right now it's up to v5.0) when i first started using it, now its about the only tool i use. That and GIMP 2.9. The folks on discuss.pixls.us are very helpful with freeware imaging software along with some particularly knowledgeable people on this particular forum.

sponsored links

1,875 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon DPP is rediculously slow.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.