Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jan 23, 2017 05:58 |  #8821

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/552/32439005326_c07e6bea72_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Rqwo​8h] (external link)Garrison Manor Kitchen (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been edited 10 months ago by joooowan.
Jan 23, 2017 20:09 |  #8822

Shot for these guys again, a pop-up store at the Sundance festival with free coffee bar & they hired a local artist to paint snowboards that got raffled off. Shot on a rental 5Diii.. I know what my next purchase is..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Post has been edited 10 months ago by seaLere.
Jan 23, 2017 21:24 |  #8823

Nice shot ^^. Did you flash at all or did you go all ambient due to the people?

Also, you think the 5DIII is better for the 6D for architectural stuff? What reasons?

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Jan 23, 2017 21:49 |  #8824

Didn't use a flash at all. I liked the AF on 5Diii way better, a good deal of this shoot was capturing people in the scene, having faster and more focus points definitely helped big time with that.

CC welcome.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 23, 2017 22:31 |  #8825

joooowan wrote in post #18253811 (external link)
Didn't use a flash at all. I liked the AF on 5Diii way better, a good deal of this shoot was capturing people in the scene, having faster and more focus points definitely helped big time with that.

Ahh, yes the focus system is way better on the 5DIII. Since everything I shoot anymore is on a tripod though it's not worth the upgrade. Only when I get more ISO will I upgrade!

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jan 26, 2017 05:50 |  #8826

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/349/32154781470_8085b17cb0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QZpE​gY] (external link)Connected (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 26, 2017 09:12 |  #8827

I'm impressed with the lighting. Are both lamp shades crooked the same way or is that lens distortion?

I try to make art by pushing buttons

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jan 27, 2017 05:47 as a reply to K Soze's post |  #8828

I would say they are both crooked the same way... :p

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 27, 2017 10:34 |  #8829

So if you guys are shooting for a construction company that built a business (Franchise or non-franchise), do you always charge the construction company and the business for a license or do you generally give the business a free license?

Also, when do you guys find is the best time to shoot new construction commercial stuff? I'm having a hell of a time always shooting right before opening when they're still picking up tools/equipment and training employees/doing last minute things. Had a great portfolio opportunity today but it was crushed by a really rushed job where I was having to move things everywhere and shoot around things. They were also fixing a few lights last minute.

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Jan 27, 2017 16:42 |  #8830

seaLere wrote in post #18256863 (external link)
So if you guys are shooting for a construction company that built a business (Franchise or non-franchise), do you always charge the construction company and the business for a license or do you generally give the business a free license?

Also, when do you guys find is the best time to shoot new construction commercial stuff? I'm having a hell of a time always shooting right before opening when they're still picking up tools/equipment and training employees/doing last minute things. Had a great portfolio opportunity today but it was crushed by a really rushed job where I was having to move things everywhere and shoot around things. They were also fixing a few lights last minute.

Ideally you would charge them both, after all why should the second party get free access? There are different schools of thought on how to do this, but one such method is to add a percentage, say 33% for each additional party, and then split the total evenly amongst everyone. You make more, each client pays a little bit less. If you are getting into billing per usage, you could find that one of them using them more than the other, so their individual needs could come into play with licensing if you want to go that route.

As for your second point, that's always going to be tough. I get in similar situations with home renovations, and it's just a pain to deal with. I always have at least one assistant, sometimes two if there's a ton of stuff to move. Some clients don't care enough to carve out a solid chunk of time for you to work with, so you have to manage expectations and bring a some sharp assistants so you can work quickly. If you can't convince them that they are missing out on their best value by sending you in there prematurely, then you can only try to deal with it and know that you probably won't be getting the best shot possible because of it.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 27, 2017 18:33 |  #8831

mltn wrote in post #18257183 (external link)
Ideally you would charge them both, after all why should the second party get free access? There are different schools of thought on how to do this, but one such method is to add a percentage, say 33% for each additional party, and then split the total evenly amongst everyone. You make more, each client pays a little bit less. If you are getting into billing per usage, you could find that one of them using them more than the other, so their individual needs could come into play with licensing if you want to go that route.

As for your second point, that's always going to be tough. I get in similar situations with home renovations, and it's just a pain to deal with. I always have at least one assistant, sometimes two if there's a ton of stuff to move. Some clients don't care enough to carve out a solid chunk of time for you to work with, so you have to manage expectations and bring a some sharp assistants so you can work quickly. If you can't convince them that they are missing out on their best value by sending you in there prematurely, then you can only try to deal with it and know that you probably won't be getting the best shot possible because of it.

Well that's what I do, I normally add 50% for the additional party....I just want to make sure it wasn't a common practice to give complimentary photos to the business for letting you photograph inside or anything lol.

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Jan 28, 2017 13:03 |  #8832

seaLere wrote in post #18257257 (external link)
Well that's what I do, I normally add 50% for the additional party....I just want to make sure it wasn't a common practice to give complimentary photos to the business for letting you photograph inside or anything lol.

Oh I see what you mean, but that's kind of the same situation, is it not? The difference is that the business didn't ask for them. In theory it's entirely on your client to satisfy any conditions the business may have for you to take photographs of a space on your client's behalf, so if that includes giving the business copies of the photos for their use, then in theory, that should be covered in the arrangement between you and your client.

One of my home reno clients gives my photos to the homeowners, and I don't fight them on it. I could have at the very beginning, but I just decided that it wasn't worth getting into it, and plus there's only so much a homeowner could do with the photos.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 28, 2017 19:19 |  #8833

mltn wrote in post #18257871 (external link)
Oh I see what you mean, but that's kind of the same situation, is it not? The difference is that the business didn't ask for them. In theory it's entirely on your client to satisfy any conditions the business may have for you to take photographs of a space on your client's behalf, so if that includes giving the business copies of the photos for their use, then in theory, that should be covered in the arrangement between you and your client.

One of my home reno clients gives my photos to the homeowners, and I don't fight them on it. I could have at the very beginning, but I just decided that it wasn't worth getting into it, and plus there's only so much a homeowner could do with the photos.

I always do the same for custom homes/vacation rentals (Give the owners the photos) because like you said yes, it's just for personal use. I think I need to continue to charge the business though because most of the time the photos will be used for their website or something.

erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Jan 30, 2017 01:52 |  #8834

Restaurant here in Portland, OR.

HOSTED PHOTO

5DIV | 5DII | T2i | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 16-35 f/4L IS | Sigma Art 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 85 f/1.4

erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Jan 30, 2017 15:06 |  #8835

Something a little different: Modern building framed by the foundation of the Ross Island Bridge in Portland. I loved the juxtaposition of the old vs the new.

HOSTED PHOTO

5DIV | 5DII | T2i | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 16-35 f/4L IS | Sigma Art 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 85 f/1.4

sponsored links

1,207,077 views & 1197 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.