Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 24 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 21:12
Prev/next
Poll"Which lens is better in terms of overall performance?"
Sigma 150-600(C) choice 1
87.5%
Tamron 150-600 v1
12.5%

8 voters, 8 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 150-600(C) vs Tamron 150-600 v1

chenga732
462 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jan 24, 2017 21:12 |  #1

Hi,

I have read some many reviews and comparison on Sigma 150-600(C) vs Tamron 150-600. It is getting to be mind bothering to decide which one. I went to BH and tried the used Tamron 150-600 v1. I tried Tamron 150-600 v1 lens with 1D IV and the focusing with pretty fast. Also, the Tamron 150-600 v1 lens with TC was also fast and no focus hunting. After trying the Tamron 150-600 v1, I went to the new lens section to try the Sigma 150-600(C) on the 5DIII. The Sigma 150-600(C) was hunting a lot with focusing.

Has anyone brought the Sigma 150-600(C) having issue with the focus hunting/didn't like the overall performance and return it to buy the Tamron 150-600 v1 or vice-versa?

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

sponsored links
Beachguy
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2016
Jan 24, 2017 21:19 |  #2

There was a firmware upgrade a few months back on the Sigma which may help.

chenga732
THREAD ­ STARTER
462 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Jan 24, 2017 21:26 as a reply to Beachguy's post |  #3

Do I need the docking station to update the firmware?

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Jan 24, 2017 21:37 |  #4

chenga732 wrote in post #18254740 (external link)
Do I need the docking station to update the firmware?

Yes

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 26, 2017 06:49 |  #5

I have the Sigma 150-600mm C but have not tried the Tamron, however reviews of the Sigma are very consistently good which is what made me choose it over the Tamron. If you compare good copies of both you'd probably find negligible differences between them, but from reading reviews it suggested to me that the Sigma is more consistent quality-wise.

All third-party lenses are prone to front or back focusing, so if you get the adjustment tool or use MFA-capable bodies there shouldn't be much noticeable difference between two good copies, so you should feel comfortable buying whichever you can find a better deal on.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 09:54 |  #6

I bought the Sigma early last spring when Sigma Canada had a special offering the dock as a freebie with your purchase. I wasn't sure but felt if may not be up to my needs AF speed wise but it surpassed my best expectations. I used it primarily with a 1D4 until late in the season when I started using it on my 7D2 & it did very well on both bodies shooting radio control flying events. Normally I need to use slower shutter speeds than ideal but for the last 2 seasons I've tried to get a really good shot of a friends plane in action to test whatever lens & my skills. One wing it autographed by the Snowbird pilots and ISS commander Chris Hadfield. Last summer I jacked up the shutter speed to a more correct speed like BIF shooters use & got this. I have rotated the shot as the plane was performing rolls going right to left & I was trying to time my shot for the best light as it rolled. First the full frame & then a crop which is pretty deep but tells the story. Canon 1D4 @ ISO 200, 1/2000, Sigma 150-600 C at 468 mm & f6.3, Hand held.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 26, 2017 16:23 |  #7

Since there is NO VC when panning with the V1 Tamron, and if you leave it on the system feeds back and destroys all of your images, even when zoomed out, when shooting at shutter speeds slower than 1/1000s. I went with the Sigma. There was a firmware update to deal with the VC issue, but it did not enable VC when panning, it just automatically turns it off. I suppose at least the VC does not make things worse nay more. So for me the only option was the Sigma C. I have to say that i think the Sigma is clearly optically better than the Tamron, even when the VC is not screwing with you. The Sigma has a propper mode 2 for it's OS system, and it works really well.

IMO the Sigma at 600mm is as good optically as the original 100-400L is at 400mm, at least when comparing to the 100-400's that I have rented in the past. I can do very similar shots to those by Cicopo, only shot at 1/160s and 600mm on my 50D
First full image

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from BigAl007's gallery.
100% crop
HOSTED PHOTO

Then two 100% crops from the image after resizing to 9000×6000 pixels for printing at 30"×20"
HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

The print on Fuji Pearl (Metallic) paper is stunning and easily holds up to nose length viewing.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Jan 27, 2017 02:52 |  #8

My understanding is that the Tamron V1 is not compatible with the Tamron console.
I know the Sigma is compatible with Sigma dock.

To me, that makes the Sigma a far better choice.

I can't help with your experience of the Sigma AF hunting though.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 27, 2017 19:23 |  #9

Choderboy wrote in post #18256606 (external link)
My understanding is that the Tamron V1 is not compatible with the Tamron console.
I know the Sigma is compatible with Sigma dock.

To me, that makes the Sigma a far better choice.

I can't help with your experience of the Sigma AF hunting though.

That is correct, since it predates the Tamron system. I was very pleased that Sigma dropped the fully capable options into the 150-600 C, since the OS adjustments and multi point in lens MFA is usually reserved only for the Art and Sport lines. Still as a £1000 plus lens at launch it was considerably more expensive than the usual run of consumer level "Contemporary" lenses.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,875 views & 1 like for this thread
Sigma 150-600(C) vs Tamron 150-600 v1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.