Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 26 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 14:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D MK2 firmware 1.1.0 Not playing nice with Sigma or Tamron lenses.

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 14:11 |  #1

This is really perplexing to me. I recently update the firmware in my 7D MK2 to v1.1.0 from 1.0.5. Absolutely no issues with any of on Canon lenses or combinations of Canon 1.4TC and 70-200 and 100-400. However, this morning I decided to visit a local store and try a Sigma 150-600 C and a Tamron 150-600 G2.
Both lenses were new, out of unopened boxes. Both lenses took 3-4 images then the camera rose with a "card2" message on the top LCD screen and a "writing to card" on the back screen. No problem to clear that, just popped the battery out and put it back in. We tried several different SD cards and the same thing happened every time. Even went as far as trying a Sigma 150-600 S as well as a V1 Tamron.
I called Canon and they just told me to call Sigma and Tamron. In reality, they are right because they cannot really deal with what seems to be a lens issue.
Again, everything works properly with my Canon lenses.
Has anyone that has update to 1.1.0 ran into this issue and if so, did you find a solution/ Is there something that I am not aware of happening?
thanks for the time taken to read and reply.
Cheers.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Jan 26, 2017 14:30 |  #2

I just got a 7D2 off ebay, and immediately upgraded it from 1.02 to 1.10 upon receiving it. I have only done limited testing (maybe 200 shots) but it seems to be working fine with all of my Sigma lenses (Sigma 150-600mm C, Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 Art, Sigma 30mm f1.4 art). Did you try a different 7D2 body with the same firmware? May be a hardware issue, seems strange that the lens would affect the card writing.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Gregsiem
Joined May 2008
Toronto
Jan 26, 2017 14:59 |  #3

I am using V1.1.0 and a Sigma 159-600c without any problems.

IanD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 15:02 |  #4

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18256113 (external link)
I just got a 7D2 off ebay, and immediately upgraded it from 1.02 to 1.10 upon receiving it. I have only done limited testing (maybe 200 shots) but it seems to be working fine with all of my Sigma lenses (Sigma 150-600mm C, Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 Art, Sigma 30mm f1.4 art). Did you try a different 7D2 body with the same firmware? May be a hardware issue, seems strange that the lens would affect the card writing.

-Joe

Joe,
We tired a demo body but it was the 1.0.5 firmware. No issues with that one.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 26, 2017 15:07 |  #5

Might want to try re-flashing the firmware to the camera. Seems strange that both Sigma and Tamron lenses wouldn't work on your body, but would on the demo model and also work for myself and others. This would seem to suggest that the issue is with your camera, but since all of your Canon lenses are working fine it seems unlikely to be a mechanical or electrical issue. Hopefully reinstalling the firmware will clear up this oddity, otherwise it might have to go back to Canon. Have you tried any other Sigma or Tamron lenses outside of the 150-600mm? Or were you able to try multiple copies of those lenses?

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Jan 26, 2017 16:27 |  #6

I have the tamron 150-600 v1. The firmware update didn't cause any noticeable issues for me.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

IanD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 16:30 |  #7

Thanks folks. Flashed the firmware. Will go back to the shop early next week and try again. This weekend the GGO's are calling.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 26, 2017 16:49 |  #8

I hope this does not become a trend.

I've not upgraded firmware, in fact I my be still on the FW that came with it two years ago. I do own some SIGMA and Tamron glass so I'll make sure I have an older version on hand before flashing.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

IanD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 17:28 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #9

Canon Canada told me that you cannot "flash back" to an older firmware version. If flashing the FW1.1.0 does not work, I'm sort of rotationally turned until I can figure out what is happening. BTW Jake, the GGO's are back.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 26, 2017 18:11 |  #10

That's awesome,. cool! (the GGO part)

I think Canon has been telling us for years that you can;t flash back, but I am sure people have done it. Not saying you should be the guinea pig though ;)

//... starts trying to figure out if he can manage a weekend trip to Montreal,.. has not forgotten that Pie is mandatory...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

IanD
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Dec 2003
Montreal, Canada
Jan 26, 2017 18:19 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18256273 (external link)

I think Canon has been telling us for years that you can;t flash back, but I am sure people have done it. Not saying you should be the guinea pig though ;)

//... starts trying to figure out if he can manage a weekend trip to Montreal,.. has not forgotten that Pie is mandatory...

My guinea pig days are over :) Still have my trusty 1D MKll as back up if needed.
Pie is good but totally optional.

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Jan 27, 2017 20:59 |  #12

IanD wrote in post #18256092 (external link)
This is really perplexing to me. I recently update the firmware in my 7D MK2 to v1.1.0 from 1.0.5. Absolutely no issues with any of on Canon lenses or combinations of Canon 1.4TC and 70-200 and 100-400. However, this morning I decided to visit a local store and try a Sigma 150-600 C and a Tamron 150-600 G2.
Both lenses were new, out of unopened boxes. Both lenses took 3-4 images then the camera rose with a "card2" message on the top LCD screen and a "writing to card" on the back screen. No problem to clear that, just popped the battery out and put it back in. We tried several different SD cards and the same thing happened every time. Even went as far as trying a Sigma 150-600 S as well as a V1 Tamron.
I called Canon and they just told me to call Sigma and Tamron. In reality, they are right because they cannot really deal with what seems to be a lens issue.
Again, everything works properly with my Canon lenses.
Has anyone that has update to 1.1.0 ran into this issue and if so, did you find a solution/ Is there something that I am not aware of happening?
thanks for the time taken to read and reply.
Cheers.

There is no reason to assume the problem has anything to due with the firmware upgrade unless these same two lenses worked OK on your camera prior to upgrading it.

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,557 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been edited 8 months ago by mwsilver.
Jan 27, 2017 21:04 |  #13

IanD wrote in post #18256253 (external link)
Canon Canada told me that you cannot "flash back" to an older firmware version. If flashing the FW1.1.0 does not work, I'm sort of rotationally turned until I can figure out what is happening. BTW Jake, the GGO's are back.

If you have a copy of the older firmware download you can just reinstall it the same way you would a newer version. I've done it. The camera doesn't know or care that your "upgrading" to a earlier version. It just replaces the current firmware with the version you tell it to. I have the 1.05 firmware download but I'm not sure how I could get it to you

Mark
Canon 7D II, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, and 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM. Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 6, Elements 15

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,557 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Central New Jersey
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by mwsilver. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 27, 2017 21:09 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18256273 (external link)

I've done it with my 7D2. Not an issue. I went from 1.10 back to 1.05 to see if that would fix a problem I was having. Turns out the problem was a circuit board issue that was replaced by Canon under warranty. Prior to bringing it in for service (I'm 20 minutes away in NJ) I reinstalled firmware version 1.10. Its easy to go back and forth. Support staff may not want you to do it, and I'm guessing most of them don't even know that it can be done, but its easy to do and will cause no problems. Its not cumulative update. You're just replacing what's there already with the file you've put on you SD card . You could go back and forth all day long if you wanted to. I know several other people who have done this besides me. Its the reason that you don't have to install intermediate updates if you haven't installed any since purchasing the camera. Each files is the complete firmware set and stands on its own.

Mark

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Jan 28, 2017 02:21 |  #15

Sometimes they claim it cannot be done, because the data structure for the camera's settings may have changed. When you upgrade, this is taken care of by new firmware, but when you go back, you may end up with goofy settings in the camera, if you are unlucky. To avoid support calls from the unlucky ones, Canon claims it's impossible.
Then some people try it, and are lucky, so they then claim that it's always possible to go back, without issues.

Anders

sponsored links

2,558 views & 2 likes for this thread
7D MK2 firmware 1.1.0 Not playing nice with Sigma or Tamron lenses.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.