Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk
Thread started 24 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 04:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Camera Body and Lens for Food Photography

ShotofGod
47 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Naples,Italy
Jan 24, 2017 04:35 |  #1

Hello everyone, I need some advice for my girlfriend who deals with food photography.

Currently she is shooting with a samsung s7 edge, but his instagram page has grown a lot in the last period, and begin to arrive the first collaborations, and the first work commissioned to sponsor products.

I would like to improve the quality of his photos, to move to the next step.

I'm a pro photographer specializing in sports photography, I never made food photo, I had thought of buying a Canon 100mm Macro L and let him use my 1DX, but does not want that kind of space, would make his shots with something small it is light.

I had thought of something like G1X mk II?
I accept any advice, thanks.

Canon 1DX | Canon 7D Mark II | 24-70L | 35mm f2 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II
ErnestoVicinanza.com (external link)My Flickr (external link) Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Jan 26, 2017 19:03 |  #2

I'm a pro food photographer, and a DSLR with a solid lens will certainly have better image quality than any compact camera. High quality work and moving into paid restaurant/food shoots will require a pro level DSLR camera. The Canon G1X has a large sensor and will probably be the best compact camera, but when you compare image quality side by side with your 7D and the 24-70 you will see a very clear difference. Your 7D and 24-70 is a great choice for food photography, or a T6i with a EFS 17-55/2.8. You don't need a macro lens especially a 100mm will be very hard to work with because it will force you far back from the table.

-Scott

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 26, 2017 19:18 |  #3

Lighting and styling are much more important than the camera. This is true regardless of where the images are displayed.

Are all the images only going on Instagram or web?

The Canon SL1 / 100D is very small. I would recommend a dslr so that you can get a couple of prime lenses. The 22mm 2.8, 40mm 2.8 and the 85mm 1.8 would make a nice, small, relatively inexpensive set up. Most people don't realize just how small it is, so go out and put one in your hands with one of the smaller lenses.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MrAnderson
Joined Dec 2016
Jan 28, 2017 21:35 as a reply to Scott Spellman's post |  #4

Very informative. Thank you.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by maverick75. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 28, 2017 22:42 |  #5

I like the original EOS M, its TINY (fits in my jean's pocket with the pancake lens).

You can get it for $200 used, including the 22mm 2.0 lens(35mm equivalent).

DSLR quality with an L caliber lens for $200? and it's TINY? it's a no brainer.

I actually use my M over my 7DM2 and A7 when it comes to product and food shots, it can compete with those two in terms of IQ and did I mention it's tiny? Women love small cameras.

It's so small it makes the SL1 look HUGE....

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​220774

BallerStatus wrote in post #18220774 (external link)
Doing directly overhead shots of food is surprisingly difficult. Getting everything lined up while stretching to get the most height you can and still being able to see out of the viewfinder is a PITA. Half the time you are blocking your own light with your body holding the camera. If you set the camera on a tripod, often the tripod legs can get in the way or cast shadows.

So after some brainstorming, it finally clicked how I was going to set this up. I set the "table" (some custom boards) on the floor, set the food in the middle and put the M on an old tripod my dad gave me with a sandbag on top to hold it steady. Using the back screen as my viewfinder made it super easy to line up the dishes. I touched to focus and set the timer so that I could step back and not block any light.

Av mode f8, ISO 100.

Setup and some results.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QdfK​GC] (external link)_MG_9744 (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PSm7​Yd] (external link)_MG_9993 (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Qpxe​JL] (external link)IMG_6044 (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PYhv​wn] (external link)IMG_6039 (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,009 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Jan 28, 2017 22:54 |  #6

IMHO

• Lighting,
  • food styling and/or
  • immediacy of photography quite soon after food preparation

...trump gear for making appetizing food photos

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Jan 29, 2017 08:03 |  #7

I shoot food and Wilt hit the nail on the head, I know the Food Stylist is the most important person on set because everything starts with styling. As far as gear goes, I'd never want to shoot anything but a 1Ds3, 1Dx or 5D3 or 4 and a quality lens like the 100/2.8 IS...it pays my bills. If there is money being exchanged, the client deserves the best that can be delivered. I also shoot tethered and add a 27" Display so everyone can see what is going on, it's too expensive to reshoot or spend hours fixing in PP what could have been done on set.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Jan 29, 2017 13:05 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #18258294 (external link)
IMHO
  • Lighting,
  • food styling and/or
  • immediacy of photography quite soon after food preparation

...trump gear for making appetizing food photos

This advice is spot on. It maybe worth considering a tripod.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

sagray
Joined May 2008
Feb 02, 2017 08:23 |  #9

Has anybody worked with a tilt-shift lens for food shots? I'm giving some consideration to going with one for my still/product work, and I'm curious to know if it has application in the food world.

40D, 5D (Classic)
Sigma 17-35 EX, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS), Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 135mm f/2L
2 AB400s, 1 Einstein, 2 Canon 580EXIIs, Canon 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, old Quantaray POS
flickrexternal link | Gray Imageryexternal link

koolcreation
Joined Oct 2010
Feb 02, 2017 08:55 |  #10

What about a mirror less camera?

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,009 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2017 09:07 |  #11

koolcreation wrote in post #18262469 (external link)
What about a mirror less camera?

Yes you could. You could also use a point and shoot rangefinder camera. Or a smartphone. Or a 4x5" sheetfilm camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jlafferty
76 posts
Joined Feb 2017
NYC
Mar 23, 2017 07:44 |  #12

My wife is a food photographer (and stylist, proper cook and cookbook author). Speaking only to technical stuff, 95% of her work comes down to two tools: a 50mm fast lens and a tripod. She has a full frame Nikon SLR. Her tripod start as a center column model that does a 90 degree boom for overheads; she's now moved on to a bigger setup that accomplishes the same thing but allows for greater height. The tripod is key.

As others have rightly said, quality of ingredients, props & styling and good light are a major component of what she does. In fact… she is creating a lot of work with her iPhone and it looks so good because of all the elements outside of the camera, few could tell the difference between stuff shot on her iPhone vs a "pro" setup.

Current Portfolio (external link)

GESWhoPhoto
36 posts
Joined Sep 2017
St. Augustine, FL; USA
Sep 27, 2017 11:06 |  #13

So, assuming one already owns a D750 and enjoys taking pictures of food consumed while on vacations and such, what is the best lens you would recommend for food captures? I already own a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, and I feel that does a decent job. But, is there a Nikon FX lens that food photographers prefer over that one?

V/r, Garrett
Current Equipment:
- Nikon D750 | Nikon D3400 | Nikon MB-D16 | Nikon SB-700 | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX | Nikkor 18-55mm kit | Nikkor 70-300mm kit |

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Oct 03, 2017 02:04 |  #14

Tripod, tethered setup and a food stylist is key. I did a shoot recently and the chef was able to tweak angles she wanted me to capture and adjust the position of each dish. I shot with an aps-c camera and 24-70 equivalent lens.

And lighting....natural light plus a $2 white board from Office Depot works wonders.

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

inkista
464 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Oct 03, 2017 14:11 |  #15

ShotofGod wrote in post #18253989 (external link)
Hello everyone, I need some advice for my girlfriend who deals with food photography.

Currently she is shooting with a samsung s7 edge...

Yes, a camera with explicit exposure controls, a good sync speed, and a flash hotshoe are probably better for this. A smaller-sensored bridge camera might be one way to start, since no specialized macro lens would be needed for close-ups.

But there is one other piece of gear right now that might be worth looking into, depending on how reluctant she is to give up using the phone and learning to use a camera. Godox has just introduced the A1 (external link), which is a blue-tooth device that lets a smart phone control off-camera lighting. Right now, the app is iOS only, but they say an Android version is coming soon (their press releases said September, but I haven't seen it pop up on the Google Play store, yet). The biggest stumbling block to this for most general off-camera flash users is that phone cameras tend to have electronic shutters, so the sync speed is abysmally slow (you're not going to use this for fill-flash outside). Match this with a fixed (wide) aperture and there's only a narrow window of settings where flash will work.

But for food photography, you usually don't need a lot of power, and you don't need a lot of shutter speed. While using the small on-board flash and LED is problematic in terms of light quality (although I've been able to amp up some small shots with bounce into the ceiling), the A1 also effectively works as a transmitter to Godox's other full-size lights, which range from speedlights (TT600, TT685, V850II, V860II) and barebulb flahses (AD200, AD360II) all the way up to studio strobes (AD600, QTII, QSII, DPII, and SKII series strobes). All of which have radio receivers built-in, and can be power-controlled from the phone app.

Just a thought until you can get her to use a real camera. :D

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

1,949 views & 8 likes for this thread
Camera Body and Lens for Food Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.