Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 03 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 19:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Peak Design, Black Rapid or other?

DrMitch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto
Jan 14, 2017 17:22 |  #16

Another question, a found a used Pro Clip for sale at a great price - thinking of picking it up - any one find use for the clip and strap together, or do you typically use one for one activity and the other for another.
I'm thinking about getting it to attach my camera to the strap on my camera sling when walking distances for more stability, but will still allow quick access to the camera.

Okay, I have a sickness for cool toys - I'll freely admit it...

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 14, 2017 20:12 |  #17

DrMitch wrote in post #18244497 (external link)
Another question, a found a used Pro Clip for sale at a great price - thinking of picking it up - any one find use for the clip and strap together, or do you typically use one for one activity and the other for another.
I'm thinking about getting it to attach my camera to the strap on my camera sling when walking distances for more stability, but will still allow quick access to the camera.

Okay, I have a sickness for cool toys - I'll freely admit it...

That's precisely the beauty of the Capture system; I use that combination, frequently. Mount the plate on the bottom of the camera and just attach the dongle(s) for the strap to the plate or another attach point on the body, and then lock the camera into the clip while moving around; and then just take it out of the clip while you're actively using the kit. I should qualify this with, the clip works best as a shoulder mount rig...I've never been able to get it to work satisfactorily as a belt clip unit.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

DrMitch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto
Jan 14, 2017 21:01 as a reply to Snydremark's post |  #18

Thanks Eric for the input.
I wonder if the Pro Pad would help as a belt (someone is selling one of those locally as well) - in any event, I'd use it as you mentioned, attached to a backpack strap.
I also like that I can easily attached my gopro to it - may try that water skiing this summer!
I figured for $40CAN may as well try it.

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 14, 2017 21:52 |  #19

DrMitch wrote in post #18244648 (external link)
Thanks Eric for the input.
I wonder if the Pro Pad would help as a belt (someone is selling one of those locally as well) - in any event, I'd use it as you mentioned, attached to a backpack strap.
I also like that I can easily attached my gopro to it - may try that water skiing this summer!
I figured for $40CAN may as well try it.

ProPad *helps*, but still doesn't fully address things. It just has too much flex on a belt and the flap on the pad makes it harder to get the clip in/out.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been edited 9 months ago by SYS.
Jan 14, 2017 22:08 |  #20

I have a Capture Pro which has been collecting dust for over a year now. To me, it was a waste of money. It's pretty good for a light gear. I tried to make it work with my 5DIII and 24-70L or 70-200L, but I gave up after numerous attempts. I recently purchased the SpiderPro Holster Kit for Think Tank ProSpeed Belt, as well as the BlackRapid Curve Breathe. The combination of these three that complement one other is the best solution that I've ever experienced in over 30 years of trying all different solutions. The BR Curve Breathe serves as a safety tether. Believe it or not, it has already served me well although I've only had it for a week now. Yesterday, I somehow missed placing my camera securely into the Holster and I let go of my camera. I didn't even know until I noticed that the camera was just dangling! If I hadn't employed the BR, my camera with the transmitter on it would have been a damaged good.

I don't entirely trust the single connection point of BR, and I don't entirely trust the Spider Holster (for a good reason that I just described!), so each of these serves as a safety measure.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 24, 2017 17:25 |  #21

I'm coming into this discussion a bit late but, I'm wondering about the Black Rapid Strap and that same type of strap.
This is mainly a question to those who own that particular type of strap.
I've had a couple of the Rapid Straps and to be blunt about it, they really scare me. On both of them the problem I had was that they would loosen to the point that I almost lost my camera a couple times. It became so frustrating to be constantly checking to see if it was coming loose or not.

So, my question is, how did you fix the problem or have you encountered that problem yet?

I finally ended up giving them away and then I bought the B-Grip B-Glider, it works great, I've never had a problem with it at all. Since then, I've purchased a few other B-Grip accessories. I think that the locking feature is one of the main items that gives me peace of mind knowing that this system will not loosen unless it is physically loosened by human input.

I guess that brings up another question in my mind, why is it that more people are not using the B-Grip? Is there a major flaw that I'm not seeing?

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 24, 2017 17:46 |  #22

SpiderMonkey wrote in post #18254547 (external link)
I'm coming into this discussion a bit late but, I'm wondering about the Black Rapid Strap and that same type of strap.
I've had a couple of the Rapid Straps and to be blunt about it, they really scare me. On both of them the problem I had was that they would loosen to the point that I almost lost my camera a couple times. It became so frustrating to be constantly checking to see if it was coming loose or not.

So, my question is, how did you fix the problem or have you encountered that problem yet?

I finally ended up giving them away and then I bought the B-Grip B-Glider, it works great, I've never had a problem with it at all. Since then, I've purchased a few other B-Grip accessories. I think that the locking feature is one of the main items that gives me peace of mind knowing that this system will not loosen unless it is physically loosened by human input.

I guess that brings up another question in my mind, why is it that more people are not using the B-Grip? Is there a major flaw that I'm not seeing?

Some of it may be that they're not widely known (never heard of 'em until your post), but also because they appear to be a rather bulky solution and use (what looks to be) a proprietary quick-release plate. Many of the other solutions out there now (BR, Capture Clip, Cotton Carrier, to name a few) offer solutions that work with 'standard' Arca-Swiss compatible systems and the Manfrotto QR2 system, that make up the majority of quick-release plate users out there. I didn't see any details as far as what/how their stuff is made, so maybe they do? But, if so, it isn't easily visible.

If you don't already have a QR system that you've bought into (tripod, primarily) then a solution like this one's likely fine; but there's a larger number of people using one of the aforementioned systems due to their tripod/head mount choices; and a retention system really needs to fit into those areas without much modification to the normal routine in order to get wider usage.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 24, 2017 17:52 |  #23

Another product that should deserve more attention is this strap called Sunsniper Pro II from Germany. It also works pretty much like BR except it's designed to prevent the connection point from loosening. It's a pretty cool design:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=dp5UDN2xRbA (external link)

As for me, the latest BR design is satisfactory and I'm not worried about the loosening issue. Regardless of what sling strap brand I go with, I will always use it in conjunction with the SpiderPro Holster not only for an added security but also for ease of use. I hate $5,000 worth of camera/lens dangling on the side. I need it more secured than any single strap can provide.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

1KIND
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Jan 25, 2017 08:30 |  #24

Snydremark wrote in post #18254568 (external link)
Some of it may be that they're not widely known (never heard of 'em until your post), but also because they appear to be a rather bulky solution and use (what looks to be) a proprietary quick-release plate. Many of the other solutions out there now (BR, Capture Clip, Cotton Carrier, to name a few) offer solutions that work with 'standard' Arca-Swiss compatible systems and the Manfrotto QR2 system, that make up the majority of quick-release plate users out there. I didn't see any details as far as what/how their stuff is made, so maybe they do? But, if so, it isn't easily visible.

If you don't already have a QR system that you've bought into (tripod, primarily) then a solution like this one's likely fine; but there's a larger number of people using one of the aforementioned systems due to their tripod/head mount choices; and a retention system really needs to fit into those areas without much modification to the normal routine in order to get wider usage.

I reviewed a bunch of B-Grip products and like Snydremark said, they aren't as well known and they are bulky. The products are also made out of durable plastic. At the time, I had reviewed the original Peak Design Capture Clip and one of the complaints was that when worn on the belt (vertical), it would dig into your hip. B-Grips version solved that issue and PD eventually released a pad to help relieve some of the gravity.

For BR, I've never had an issue with the fastener loosening considering the clip itself rotates 360°. I stopped using them ever since they sued CarrySpeed for patent infringement.

1KIND Photography (external link)
Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Hejnar Photo Plates, Camtrol Stabilizer | Varavon Monopod and 32" Slider

SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 25, 2017 16:51 |  #25

1KIND wrote in post #18254973 (external link)
I reviewed a bunch of B-Grip products and like Snydremark said, they aren't as well known and they are bulky. The products are also made out of durable plastic. At the time, I had reviewed the original Peak Design Capture Clip and one of the complaints was that when worn on the belt (vertical), it would dig into your hip. B-Grips version solved that issue and PD eventually released a pad to help relieve some of the gravity.

For BR, I've never had an issue with the fastener loosening considering the clip itself rotates 360°. I stopped using them ever since they sued CarrySpeed for patent infringement.

I understand.

I guess I've gotten used to the B-Grip and have either never noticed it being bulky or just not really realized it and kinda accepted it as being the norm because now that you've mentioned it I do see that it is a little bulky compared to the Black Rapid.

The Rapid straps I had were about three years ago, I even tried some knock off, no name brands and had the same type experience. I thought about designing a safety plate that would allow the original type attachment that would still attach to the tripod mount but would also attach to the standard strap mounts on the sides of the camera and have quick clips on the side straps for ease of removal but, no matter how it was done, I couldn't get passed everything that would be involved whenever I wanted to remove the strap and mount the camera to the tripod. Maybe I was over thinking it, I don't know but, the main fear of mine was dropping a couple thousands worth of equipment because I didn't check the lug to make sure it was still tight. I read a couple other posts on this thread where it sounds like they have done something similar to what I was thinking but what sounds like a much more reasonable idea.
I just happened to be in Kauai, Hawaii and saw the B-Grip so I took a picture of it and when I returned home, I looked for it and found the website and also found it on Amazon. One of the things I really like about the B-Grip is that I can take it from the strap to mounted on the tripod within three seconds.

I don't mean to knock the Black Rapid straps or that type, I just had a bad experience with them and have found what works for me and so far I'm really happy with it. My daughter and I have been using the B-Grip for a year and a half now without any problems or regrets and I'll be using it on my newest purchase tomorrow.

1KIND wrote in post #18232874 (external link)
Here is my review on the Slide - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...e-camera-sling-strap.html (external link); Slide Summit Edition - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...n-camera-sling-strap.html (external link)

I prefer the Peak Design strap. Even though it is nylon webbing (like a seat belt) it is very comfortable. Not to mention, it doesn't occupy the 1/4-20 on the bottom of the camera or tripod plate. So I can actually mount my camera onto the tripod without having to take the strap off.

When I had the BlackRapid, I had to either take off the strap or unmount it from the camera. When I had the Custom SLR M-Plate - http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...-plate-pro-universal.html (external link). I didn't have to worry about it since it offset the location of the mount.

With the Peak Design, you can use three anchors; one on the left side of the camera (when viewed from the back), one on the bottom of the camera (when tripod foot is available) and one on the tripod foot when you're using it. So if you're using the 70-200, clip the strap to that. When you're not using it, clip the strap to the bottom of the camera.

I am really curious how the three anchors work? I'm always looking for things that are easy and safe for my equipment.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 25, 2017 16:54 |  #26

No matter what brand or what method you use, the bottom-line is what works for you and that you're very satisfied with it.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,855 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 25, 2017 17:00 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #18255392 (external link)
No matter what brand or what method you use, the bottom-line is what works for you and that you're very satisfied with it.

Truth. Also, would be interested in hearing how the B-Grip gear holds up under use for a year or so, from an actual user. @SpiderMonkey :)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 25, 2017 17:04 |  #28

Snydremark wrote in post #18255398 (external link)
Truth. Also, would be interested in hearing how the B-Grip gear holds up under use for a year or so, from an actual user. @SpiderMonkey :)

Yes, I'd like to hear about all products, especially the new ones out in the market, after at least a year of use to determine their true value.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

1KIND
Goldmember
2,051 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Jan 25, 2017 18:47 |  #29

SpiderMonkey wrote in post #18255386 (external link)
I understand.

I guess I've gotten used to the B-Grip and have either never noticed it being bulky or just not really realized it and kinda accepted it as being the norm because now that you've mentioned it I do see that it is a little bulky compared to the Black Rapid.

To me it feels bulky when compared to all the other stuff I have used and reviewed.

The Rapid straps I had were about three years ago, I even tried some knock off, no name brands and had the same type experience. I thought about designing a safety plate that would allow the original type attachment that would still attach to the tripod mount but would also attach to the standard strap mounts on the sides of the camera and have quick clips on the side straps for ease of removal but, no matter how it was done, I couldn't get passed everything that would be involved whenever I wanted to remove the strap and mount the camera to the tripod. Maybe I was over thinking it, I don't know but, the main fear of mine was dropping a couple thousands worth of equipment because I didn't check the lug to make sure it was still tight. I read a couple other posts on this thread where it sounds like they have done something similar to what I was thinking but what sounds like a much more reasonable idea.
I just happened to be in Kauai, Hawaii and saw the B-Grip so I took a picture of it and when I returned home, I looked for it and found the website and also found it on Amazon. One of the things I really like about the B-Grip is that I can take it from the strap to mounted on the tripod within three seconds.

Custom SLR has the M-Plate. It's a Manfrotto RC2 and Acra quick release plate in one. It also offsets the mount. So you can still use a BR strap and attach to a ballhead without removing the strap.

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...-plate-pro-universal.html (external link)

I am really curious how the three anchors work? I'm always looking for things that are easy and safe for my equipment.

The anchors simply attach to the eyelets on the side of the camera or on the bottom of the camera grip. So as long there is a place for you to cow-hitch the anchor loops. From there, you just attach a Peak Design strap.

1KIND Photography (external link)
Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Hejnar Photo Plates, Camtrol Stabilizer | Varavon Monopod and 32" Slider

SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Post has been edited 8 months ago by SpiderMonkey.
Jan 26, 2017 19:41 |  #30

Snydremark wrote in post #18255398 (external link)

SYS wrote in post #18255406 (external link)
Yes, I'd like to hear about all products, especially the new ones out in the market, after at least a year of use to determine their true value.

Well, Like I stated previously, I saw the B-Grip in Hawaii and knew the second I saw it that I had to get more information about it. When I got home, I googled it and found the website, http://www.bgrip.com (external link) , I started reading about the system and how it all interacts together and liked what I saw. I was able to buy from Amazon and I only had one minor glitch, for whatever reason, it seems like all the accessories are readily available from Amazon however, the B-glider for whatever reason seems like it can only be shipped from B-Grip itself even though you order it through Amazon and they are located in the UK. Anyway, I received the accessories and I really like the way that the Quick Release Plate mounts very securely to the tripod mount of my camera, it has this semi hard rubber with notches cut into it that holds the wing screw securely in place and with that single item alone it gives me peace of mind knowing that my camera will not impact the ground due to the tripod mount screw backing out and sending a thousand dollars crashing to the ground. That one thing is what worried me the most about the Black Rapid straps that I had, they backed out and luckily I caught the problem before it became expensive.

The Quick Release easily locks to the B-glider strap by moving the spring loaded lock lever and then sliding the camera with the Quick Release plate mounted to it onto the B-glider then release the lever and it positively locks the camera into place. B-Grip also makes a Tripod Adapter, it is extremely easy to go from having your camera on the strap to mounted on the tripod within three seconds. All you have to do is hold the camera, pull the spring loaded lever on the glider, slide the camera off and release that lever then, pull the spring loaded lever on the Tripod Adapter, slide the camera onto the tripod and release the lever and its done.

Not only have I bought the glider, the Quick Release and the Tripod Adapter but, I've also bought the Hand Strap + and the Belt Holster. The Hand Strap obviously allows you to maintain your grip on your camera at all times and it also has the exact same Quick Release built into it so it can be easily used with the glider and the tripod. The Belt Holster allows you to carry your camera on your waist using the exact same Quick Release system. I've incorporated this into all my tripods and my monopod. It's actually comfortable to wear. I didn't really realize that it is actually slightly bulky until I started thinking about it after 1KIND remarked about it but, in my opinion it's not overly bulky and I have become accustomed to it so, for me it is the norm.

Another feature I really like about this B-Grip system is the the Quick Release has a built in kickstand so that you can set your camera down on a table top or on the ground with the lens installed and the camera and lens do not touch the ground or table top so, if you're like me and you are extremely anal about your gear you don't want to scratch it, well this helps to keep from obtaining unnecessary scratches.

Personally, I would recommend the B-Grip to everyone and I have whenever someone sees it and asks about it. Having a choice between this system and the Black Rapid, I will pick this one each and every time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've been using this system for a year and a half and the items in the pictures are those that I ordered a year and a half ago.

I took a few pictures if anyone is interested, heres a couple:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

5,409 views & 3 likes for this thread
Peak Design, Black Rapid or other?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.