Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 26 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 18:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Issue with 600mm f4 IS II when paired with teleconverters, anyone else experience this?

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 26, 2017 18:47 |  #1

I have an issue where my camera loses it's connection to the lens when using my 600mm f4 IS II with teleconverters under a specific shooting scenario. With the teleconverter mounted (either 1.4x III or 2x III) there is a slight amount of play in the connection. The easiest way to replicate the issue is to place the lens on a tripod and aim it up slightly, rotate it to portrait mode, initiate the IS, and then lightly pull back on the upper part of the body. When doing so the IS will stop with a sudden "clunk" and if you are looking through the viewfinder you will see the image make a sudden and significant shift. Once you stop pulling back on the body the IS will kick back in and normal lens operation resumes. It seems pretty clear to me that the slight amount of play is causing one or more of the contacts to separate and the lens is losing communication with the camera or losing power. With the camera in landscape orientation it isn't an issue

I've tried this with two copies of the 1.4x III and one copy of the 2x III and it has happened with all of them. I've also tried different bodies and it's the same for all of them (1DXII, 1DX, 7D2, 1DsIII). If I mount a body directly to the lens without using a teleconverter the issue goes away. Also, using the teleconverters on other lenses I own does not generate the same issue, it's only with the 600mm. Has anyone else experienced this, or would a few people be willing to test it on their own lenses? I had this happen a couple times under field conditions but once I figured out what was happening it is pretty easy to work around, if it is an issue that is unique to my lens though I will have Canon take a look at it.

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 27, 2017 06:07 |  #2

How are you attaching the teleconverter? I've not used them, but read that with the heavier lenses you should mount the TC to the lens and then attach both to camera, as if you mount to the camera first you end up with a poor connection. Just passing along information I've read on this site, sorry I can't contribute anything more but I hope you get your issues squared away.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 27, 2017 06:25 |  #3

That's how I attach them, TC to lens, then body to both. My understanding with the recommendation for that procedure is that it has to do with how the camera recognizes the lens/TC combo, not a physical connection issue.

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,953 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
Jan 27, 2017 15:16 |  #4

Iv sort of had this with my 1dxmkII 5Dsr 600f4 mkII and mkIII tcs the lens is working fine then all of a sudden it will not focus its not every time I use it just now and then and only with tcs.

I have to quickly twist the lens to make it make contact again its rather annoying when your trying to take a bird in flight ,you follow it press the shutter and Nothing happens.

Like I said its not every time I go out but I'm always ready for it now .

this use to happen with my 500f4 mkI and 1dmkIII ,7d
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

dasmith232
Joined Nov 2012
Colorado, USA
Jan 27, 2017 15:30 |  #5

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18256683 (external link)
That's how I attach them, TC to lens, then body to both. My understanding with the recommendation for that procedure is that it has to do with how the camera recognizes the lens/TC combo, not a physical connection issue.

That's my understanding as well, to allow the camera to properly recognize the whole chain. However, in my experience, I've not had a camera fail to recognize the proper chain when leaving the 2x TC attached and changing the lens (even without turning the camera off).

I have the 2x Mk III and have used it with a few different lenses, but the largest I've used is a 300/2.8. I've not had any similar problems (nor any problems at all for that matter). I don't have a 600mm, but will be happy to try it out if someone wants to give one away. Think of it as a public service! :)

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jan 27, 2017 17:36 |  #6

I mount my Mk3 extenders on either the camera body the lens or lens then camera and it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference! True I do not have the 600 Mk2 but I did have the 600 Mk1 and currently have the 800 F5.6 and 300 F2.8.

Just a guess, but it sounds like one of your contacts may be sticking? If you look at all the contacts in the lens mount of your camera they are all spring loaded - the same is true of the front mount of your extenders. Get a softish non conductive object (a blunted cocktail stick is perfect) and check that all the contacts move in and out freely. Hopefully this will identify/cure the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Post has been edited 8 months ago by ShadowHillsPhoto.
Jan 27, 2017 22:32 |  #7

Based on a suggestion I got on another forum I double checked all the screws on the lens mount tonight and they are tight, but while doing so I noticed that there is some wear on one of the flanges on the back of the lens, and the last 1/4" or so of the flange appears to have a very slight curve up where it should be straight. I have a feeling this may be the source of the play, and might be what is allowing the TC's to pull away from the lens enough that they loose their connection. I also looked at the contact pins on the TC's and on my 1DXII and it appears that the pins on the body are slightly longer, which might explain why the body doesn't lose contact with the lens when it is mounted on its own. It looks like the solution may be a trip to Canon to have them replace the mount.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Jan 28, 2017 16:48 as a reply to ShadowHillsPhoto's post |  #8

I believe that this is a pretty cheap repair and not beyond DIY if you get the part.

I removed and replaced the mount on a "dead" Canon lens belonging to a friend and it wasn't difficult. I was looking to replace the battered, but serviceable), mount on my 600 F4 Mk1 to make it look prettier - never got round to it though!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,615 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jan 28, 2017 17:59 |  #9

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18257397 (external link)
Based on a suggestion I got on another forum I double checked all the screws on the lens mount tonight and they are tight, but while doing so I noticed that there is some wear on one of the flanges on the back of the lens, and the last 1/4" or so of the flange appears to have a very slight curve up where it should be straight. I have a feeling this may be the source of the play, and might be what is allowing the TC's to pull away from the lens enough that they loose their connection. I also looked at the contact pins on the TC's and on my 1DXII and it appears that the pins on the body are slightly longer, which might explain why the body doesn't lose contact with the lens when it is mounted on its own. It looks like the solution may be a trip to Canon to have them replace the mount.

I believe that this is a pretty cheap repair and not beyond DIY if you get the part.

Indeed, on a Version I IS lens, the mount swap was a $25.00 part and about 10 minutes of easy work with a screwdriver, if you are the hands on sort.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Jan 28, 2017 18:28 |  #10

Yeah it looks like a pretty easy fix, I may see if I can get the part from Canon, I looked around and couldn't find it anywhere else.

Owl_79
785 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Jan 30, 2017 12:07 as a reply to GyRob's post |  #11

Been there, it really is quite annoying! In my case, it was loose mount on EF 2x II teleconverter. I replaced it and problem solved.

Teleconverter can be attached first to body or lens, it does not make any difference. Do it as you want. Usually I mount TC to the lens first.

Teleconverters has usually no electronics inside, only bare wires going through. And thoise three extra pins, which are shorted so that lens/camera knows which TC is in use. Lens needs this information for accurate AF operation.

Canon
http://tonskulus.kuvat​.fi/kuvat/external link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 02, 2017 16:17 |  #12

Yeah, loose or worn mounts on either the tele-extender or the lens are normally the cause for this. For worn mounts, CPS will sometimes replace your mounts with new ones at no charge, if your lens is in for service anyway.

If the mount is not worn, but only a wee bit loose, it often helps to take the mount off and re-install it and put some some silicone or non-permanent Loc-Tite on the threads of the tiny little screws; keeps them from working loose in the future.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

1,686 views & 1 like for this thread
Issue with 600mm f4 IS II when paired with teleconverters, anyone else experience this?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.