Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 24 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 03:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge # 622: The Light of a Flame

CarloY
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited 10 months ago by CarloY.
Jan 24, 2017 03:15 |  #1

Challenge #622 - The Light of a Flame

Think: Candles, Lanterns, Oil-Lamps... or any other old-fashion illumination.
You can focus on the object, the source of the light. Or it can just be part of a larger scene... like a vigil, a birthday cake, a beach fire, or something safely larger.

Take a portrait where the flicker of a candle is there. Capture a setting lit by the glow of a lamp. Bring us the night-descent of a ski patrol. How about fire dancers from a luau?

You can even submit a Still Life shot with candle or lamp light... for Cory. ;-)a

Just about anything goes. I don't know what I'll like ("I can't define it, but I'll know it when I see it!")

Use your Title well.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 30 January 2017.

Photo Submissions
1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge. Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you.

-------------
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=113480

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=59640

Thanks for joining in this week. I appreciate all of your Entries.

And the Winners are:

First: Corythosaurus with "Lantern Light"
___Liked the warm tones all around, and the composition was both simple and inviting.

Second: Maureen with "Gold on Gold"
___Nicely done. Somehow this photo is bold and strong, and at the same time relaxed and sets a calming mood. The one thing that tugged at me a bit, was the reflection in the mirror just did not harmonize the scene (perhaps lacking detail, or said differently, being a little dull/vague. not sure.). Still very close to being chosen.

Third: Trumper with "Helping Nature"
___Overall I liked this landscape shot. As for the challenge, would have liked to see the flames have a little more relevance in the scene. I viewed a crop of just the upper right corner, almost square, including part of the mound -- and that sort of composition would have brought the wildfire into focus for me.

So, the Fuse is lit for you Cory!

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

sponsored links
corythosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Jan 27, 2017 16:10 |  #2

Lantern Light

G10

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,653 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jan 30, 2017 00:09 |  #3

Gold on Gold

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Trumper
738 posts
Joined May 2003
Jan 30, 2017 03:08 |  #4

g1x mk11
Helping nature

HOSTED PHOTO

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Jan 30, 2017 07:18 |  #5

The Challenge is now closed.
Thanks to all who entered this week.
Results are about to be posted.

( I sure hope the proliferation of LED lighting has not forever erased the warm glow that shaped many a nights' relaxing moods. )

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,653 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jan 30, 2017 11:36 |  #6

Congrats to Cory... I loved the cabin feeling of the shot! I am struggling to keep my camera functioning as it just doesn't want to settle on a focus point & hunts & hunts. I had a few other angles I did like better but had to settle on the one in focus. After I do my taxes I may be buying a G 16 or something close......

Thanks for the challenge this week, Carlo.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Trumper
738 posts
Joined May 2003
Jan 30, 2017 11:47 |  #7

:-) Well done Cory and Maureen.We just don't have naked flames here ,don't have a gas cooker even so apart from an emergency candle i was pretty stuffed.I did remember this one i took from a couple of years ago ,sorry as near to a naked flame as we can get.

corythosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Post has been edited 10 months ago by corythosaurus.
Jan 30, 2017 13:14 |  #8

Thanks for hosting and judging Carlo. And, thanks for the first place selection. I found Trumper's entry very compelling. I'll have the new challenge up shortly.

In my photo, the lantern is sitting on another table I had built from old railroad boxcar flooring.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,612 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jan 30, 2017 14:17 |  #9

Well done, all. Great image, Cory. Nicely done.

Mark J.
Gear

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by JimAskew.
Jan 30, 2017 14:52 |  #10

Well done everyone. Cory, I love your photo and I love the table too :-). Mo and Trumper have great shots as well. Good contest Carlo...you stumped me!

I just couldn't find a shot to enter last week...I was going to do a lantern shot but Cory beat me to table  :p

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

corythosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Jan 30, 2017 18:09 |  #11

Here is the table. It's our dining room table assembled from 3 sections of Union Pacific railroad boxcar flooring, bases are 2x4s, 2x6s and 2x8s

HOSTED PHOTO

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,612 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jan 30, 2017 19:21 |  #12

^^^Very cool table.

Mark J.
Gear

CarloY
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited 10 months ago by CarloY.
Jan 30, 2017 20:19 |  #13

@Trumper ...said: "We just don't have naked flames here ,don't have a gas cooker even so apart from an emergency candle i was pretty stuffed."

@JimAskew ...said: "I just couldn't find a shot to enter last week...I was going to do a lantern shot but Cory beat me to table"

I was hoping we might get a side/profile shot where someone was lighting-up a pipe or cigarette or other.
Could have also submitted a 60's muscle car with side-pipes spurting flames! No?
Hell, I'd have accepted a casual portrait of someone's "Old Flame"*. Maybe named 'Amber', 'Blaise', or 'Ray', or "Mothman'

* from Merriam-Webster:
Synonyms of Flame: beloved, darling, dear, sweetheart, hon, honey, love, squeeze, sweet, sweetie, sweetie pieā€¦

@Maureen: 'Yes' indeed! Get thee to a cannery (or a Canon-ery).

@Cory: Somehow I thought your lantern was on the floor. That's a testament to your shot's angle/perspective and composition. Also, a tribute to your handywork in wood. (Next theme... tables?)

corythosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Jan 31, 2017 19:48 |  #14

CarloY wrote in post #18260102 (external link)
@Cory: Somehow I thought your lantern was on the floor. That's a testament to your shot's angle/perspective and composition. Also, a tribute to your handywork in wood. (Next theme... tables?)

Well, it was on flooring..... Thanks for the comments!

sponsored links

2,885 views & 13 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge # 622: The Light of a Flame
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.