Challenge #622 - The Light of a Flame
Think: Candles, Lanterns, Oil-Lamps... or any other old-fashion illumination.
You can focus on the object, the source of the light. Or it can just be part of a larger scene... like a vigil, a birthday cake, a beach fire, or something safely larger.
Take a portrait where the flicker of a candle is there. Capture a setting lit by the glow of a lamp. Bring us the night-descent of a ski patrol. How about fire dancers from a luau?
You can even submit a Still Life shot with candle or lamp light... for Cory.
Just about anything goes. I don't know what I'll like ("I can't define it, but I'll know it when I see it!")
Use your Title well.
Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.
To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model.
Post until Monday noon GMT, 30 January 2017.
1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.
2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge. Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.
6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you.
Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.
Thanks for joining in this week. I appreciate all of your Entries.
And the Winners are:
First: Corythosaurus with "Lantern Light"
___Liked the warm tones all around, and the composition was both simple and inviting.
Second: Maureen with "Gold on Gold"
___Nicely done. Somehow this photo is bold and strong, and at the same time relaxed and sets a calming mood. The one thing that tugged at me a bit, was the reflection in the mirror just did not harmonize the scene (perhaps lacking detail, or said differently, being a little dull/vague. not sure.). Still very close to being chosen.
Third: Trumper with "Helping Nature"
___Overall I liked this landscape shot. As for the challenge, would have liked to see the flames have a little more relevance in the scene. I viewed a crop of just the upper right corner, almost square, including part of the mound -- and that sort of composition would have brought the wildfire into focus for me.
So, the Fuse is lit for you Cory!