Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 29 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 08:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do I view an entire image?

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 29, 2017 08:03 |  #1

I've had trouble for a while viewing some of the images posted on POTN. Seems the problem images are too large (mostly in height) in the forum threads to view on my monitor. I can click on the eyeglasses and view some of the images sometimes in their entirety, but most often they are too big for the image viewer and I still have to scroll up and down to see the image. Finally I can right click on the eyeglassed image, open in a different tab, move to that tab and see the image in it's entirety....which is a pain and doesn't present the image in a pleasing manner.

So, what am I missing here? I'm no tech wiz so any help is appreciated! :-) Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to constrain these images to be viewed in their entirety when I click the eyeglasses? I'm using a Dell U2412M monitor (new monitor, had the same issue with the old 19" monitor) and running an old refurbed Dell desktop on Win7...nothing fancy,...if that makes a difference.

? -? ?
Thanks!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
mistermonday
360 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Ottawa Canada
Jan 29, 2017 09:53 |  #2

The problem is likely your browser setting. There is usually an icon or context menu at the top of your browser window that has a zoom option which allows you to change the amount the browser zooms in or out the view. If you are using the Chrome browser, the icon is 3 vertical dots at the very top right corner on the far side of the URL address bar. I don't recall where it is on the other browsers but if you poke around you should be able to find it.
Cheers, Murray

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 29, 2017 12:20 |  #3

What is the monitor resolution (pixel count) setting within your operating system software configuration? Should be 1920 x 1200, what your monitor is capable of supporting, but maybe your video card is incapable of supporting that?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

popsandme
797 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Jan 29, 2017 12:56 |  #4

if you press and hold the ctrl key and then hit the + or - that will increase or decrease the size of your browser.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/61913132@N07/external link

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,761 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jan 29, 2017 18:03 |  #5

Hit [ctrl] 0 to reset to original zoom. [ctrl] mouse scroll will also zoom/shrink.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 30, 2017 08:25 |  #6

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Murray, thanks for the info. The zoom is under settings and then advanced settings. But, that affects typed material, too. I'm just hoping to figure out image sizing. :)

popsandme and Chet, thanks for the tips on ctrl+ keying. It helps, but not a fixed setting that would work...but definitely something I can use, especially rolling the mouse wheel!

Wilt, the video card is a Radeon ATI HD 3400 Series 512MB. I believe the max resolution is 2560x1600. Old and not a great card, but we get by...I think. :) The system is showing that it's set to 1920x1200.

The zooming with ctrl+mouse-wheel is a good option while scrolling through images, but at a reduced size that fits the screen the text gets too small...but, not a deal breaker for viewing. I may be looking for something that doesn't even exist. I just downloaded an 800x1200 image from POTN and opened it up in Windows Photo Viewer and it was fully viewable. What I'm seeing is probably supposed to be the way it works...and I'm just chasing windmills. ;)

Ed

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jan 30, 2017 09:10 |  #7

Ed: My guess is that you set the display (in display settings) to zoom everything to 200%. This makes text easier to read - but then the pictures are bigger as well. One easy option I use is to right click on the picture with the mouse and then in the context menue you can choose "view picture". There you have the option to fit it to your browser window size or 100%. Going back brings you then back to the original page.
This functionality depends on the browser you use - but most of them support this.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
39,289 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Wilt.
Jan 30, 2017 09:25 |  #8

We are convoluting a number of different factors into this situation in the replies, yet they are NOT the same issue. So let's consider what is truly the problem, as encountered by OP...

1. A computer video card is configured with the O/S to have a certain resolution supported in software, e.g. 1024 x768
  2. A computer monitor has its own hardware-imposed limitation, e.g. laptop with 1366x768 vs. other laptop model with 1920x1080

I can configure my video card to provide LESS PIXELS from the card, in the display of web pages than the monitor can support (e.g. 1024x768 pixels on a 2560x1440 monitor) in which case

• a window of a given size (e.g. 1024x768) suddenly fills the monitor and all of the text within that window appears larger than if the video card resolution were properly set
  • a window of a larger size (e.g. 1920x1080) would overflow (not fit) the monitor and of the text within that window appears larger than if the video card resolution were properly set

Having just done the above with my own computer configuration for test purposes, I know what I described above is the case.

Now, to the OP issue...

• Most computer software will attempt to reduce the photo to fit within a monitor...e.g. a photo of 2000x1200 pixels is displayed at 50% to fit a resolution of 1000x600 if that is the video card setting.
  • But when instructed to do so, that same software will have 3/4 of the photo area 'fall off the monitor' when the user says to display the photo 'at 100%'... only 1000x600 pixels are on the montor, and the three quarters of the photo are off the edge of the monitor, and you can scroll across the photo within this 'zoomed' view.

...it seems that the OP has this 'zoomed' partial view. It is as if a web page were designed for display on a 1920x1080 screen area, but most of that area 'falls off' a 1366x768 laptop monitor.
For example, looking at POTN New Posts listing on my desktop with 2560x1440 support, I can see listed 30 New Posts; on my 1366x768 laptop, the same list of POTN New Posts only fits the first 12 New Posts!
Yet I can take a 2888x1925 photo file, which would not fit my 2560c1440 desktop monitor nor my 1366x768 laptop monitor at 100%, and I can view the entire photo on both monitors because my software automatically reduces the Percentage view appropriately on both machines.

We need a better description from the OP about what is being seen or not seen in the computer, both for web pages and for photographs being viewed

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 31, 2017 08:44 |  #9

Thanks for all the info, Wilt.

I'll use this 914x1280 image for an example: Kick Boxer

I'm currently at work on a Dell 1908FP @ 1280x1024 resolution...a very different monitor from my U2412M but I get basically the same situation on it. "Web Content" settings in Chrome are: Fonts=Medium and Zoom=100%

Viewing the Kick Boxer in the regular posted message I see right about 75% of the image. Clicking the eyeglasses I then see roughly 70% of the image. Right-clicking and selecting to open the image in a new tab shows me the image in it's entirety using all the vertical space that is available within the browser...but it's jammed up against the left edge of the screen with a big glaring white expanse of screen on the right side of it.

Like I said, I may be chasing windmills and this is the way things are supposed to work. It would be nice that an image in the thread would format out so that I could see it in its entirety. If I adjust the zoom all the text gets too small but using ctrl-roll-the-mouse-wheel could get me into a "image viewing mode" and then I could come out of that mode for reading and writing.

[[[[I want to take this time to say something about Pekka's software... I started this thread at work...got interrupted...was there somewhat late...and didn't get a chance to complete my response before shutting that computer down. It is now the next morning, I'm at home and started to reply...and the draft of my message from the day before and from an entirely different computer miles away was waiting on me in the editor when I hit REPLY. Now how cool is that!!!!<GRIN>]]]]

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 31, 2017 08:49 |  #10

Hmm, I just went to Fred Miranda's website and tried a few portrait oriented images...the "in-thread" image would scroll off the bottom edge of my screen, just as many do here on POTN. But, when I clicked on the image at FM to view it isolated (as we do with clicking the eyeglasses here on POTN) the image was shown on my screen in it's entirety (I'm on the 2412 at the moment, FWIW). -?

Wilt
39,289 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Wilt.
Jan 31, 2017 10:28 |  #11

I took a snapshot of Chrome browser window on the screen of my 1366x768 laptop, and from my 2560x1440 desktop. In both cases I have reduced the photos by 50% from captured size.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/kickboxer%201366x768_zpsyo5thhfu.jpg
laptop

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/kickboxer%202556x1440_zps7wpl66wg.jpg
desktop

As you can see, the kickboxer's face occupies a fixed number of pixels on both monitors, but what fits on 2560x1440 will fall off 1366x768.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 31, 2017 10:33 |  #12

Not sure if this helps, but this is something I have done.

Lower your browser zoom level to get the images to where you want them, then try setting your POTN font size to a larger size, using the AAaa link in the bottom gray notification bar (to the left, vs the notification indicator on the right).

This setting is only good for POTN and not even for all screens, though.

You can also go to your browser settings and set the advanced settings for fonts to select a minimum size, etc. At least in firefox this works, I would assume Chrome might have something similar.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,761 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Chet.
Jan 31, 2017 11:25 |  #13

Seems AMASS is optimized for landscape images. Not sure if it would be worth it for Pekka to add a fit option for portrait? I try not to exceed 1000 pixels when I post in portrait to assure it fits most screens.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 02, 2017 07:38 |  #14

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I'll continue on my current path...with the addition of [ctrl+mousewheel] for zooming out/in. Seems like a workable solution. I guess I'll leave the windmills alone. :)

Ed

Wilt
39,289 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by Wilt. 10 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2017 08:34 |  #15

Intheswamp wrote in post #18262413 (external link)
Thanks everybody for all the feedback. I'll continue on my current path...with the addition of [ctrl+mousewheel] for zooming out/in. Seems like a workable solution. I guess I'll leave the windmills alone. :)

Ed

But we still have no idea of your video card settings vs. the monitor's capabilities! Is your video card configured to 1920 x 1200?!

You earlier commented, "new monitor, had the same issue with the old 19" monitor"

• ...if the old monitor were 1024x768, the lower portions of a photo would 'fall off' when photos on the web were 1280x1024.
  • If the video card still uses 1024x768 setting, the lower portions of a photo will still 'fall off' when photos are 1280 x 1024 -- even though the monitor can support display of 1920 x 1200!

Yesterday you used a 1280 x 1024 system at work and viewing the 914 x 1280 Kickboxer photo, and the bottom was 'cut off'...well, the size of the photo exceeds the video card capacity to display it all on the screen...1280v does not fit on 1024v, so it gets cut off.
If that is similar to your issue at home, the video card could be set to a Vertical value smaller than the vertical value which the Monitor has (1200)

I could only view the ENTIRE kickboxer photo (1280v) on my web browser when I viewed in on my desktop with video card and monitor supporting 1440v!
(Yet even my 1366 x 768 laptop would see the entire image when using my postprocessing software displayed it at about 50%.)

sponsored links

2,930 views & 6 likes for this thread
How do I view an entire image?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.