Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 30, 2017 20:03 |  #8836

erk wrote in post #18259853 (external link)
Something a little different: Modern building framed by the foundation of the Ross Island Bridge in Portland. I loved the juxtaposition of the old vs the new.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by erk in
./showthread.php?p=182​59853&i=i240107920
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Looks awesome. That crooked pipe is driving me crazy though! (Nothing you can do about that, of course lol).

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

sponsored links
erk
287 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Portland OR
Jan 30, 2017 21:48 as a reply to seaLere's post |  #8837

I know! I thought about fixing it but decided I should just leave it how it is.

5DIV | 5DII | T2i | TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 16-35 f/4L IS | Sigma Art 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 Macro | Sigma 85 f/1.4

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Post has been edited 10 months ago by seaLere.
Jan 31, 2017 13:55 |  #8838

So here is a question for you guys...I recently shot a new hospital mock lab that was an addition to a technical school we have here (for the construction company). I am generally one who likes to add my own light but I found that the dynamic range was so low in the rooms (no windows and I didn't need any more detail in the overhead lights). Is there anything you guys would have done to these with your own light? I generally like to add some to furniture and to fill shadows but I really couldn't find a way to use it that would help me.

In the first image I added a tiny bit to the chair, bed, and cabinets but it's very subtle.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | Canon 17-40 f4 L | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8L | Lots of lights | A huge wishlist | A big dream

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Jan 31, 2017 14:22 as a reply to seaLere's post |  #8839

Did you get a model release for the 2nd shot?;-)a:-)

My Gear

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Jan 31, 2017 14:23 |  #8840

runninmann wrote in post #18260761 (external link)
Did you get a model release for the 2nd shot?;-)a:-)

Walking down the hall looking into the rooms before the motion light kicked, I thought it was a real person. Creepy! haha

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Feb 01, 2017 10:16 |  #8841

Still looking for an answer from my previous question above but I'm going to also throw a new one in there. When charging for architectural work (say commercial), when charging say an hourly rate, are you including anything for editing time either? Or if you are $250 an hour, it takes 2 hours to shoot, are you charging $500 (assuming 1 license).

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Post has been edited 10 months ago by joooowan.
Feb 01, 2017 13:08 |  #8842

seaLere wrote in post #18261500 (external link)
Still looking for an answer from my previous question above but I'm going to also throw a new one in there. When charging for architectural work (say commercial), when charging say an hourly rate, are you including anything for editing time either? Or if you are $250 an hour, it takes 2 hours to shoot, are you charging $500 (assuming 1 license).

I've only been able to invoice like this twice and here's how I did it most recently. Shooting + Editing + Licensing/Usage are different line items and I separate the editing and shooting. In case I need to charge extra for editing, I think it'll be easier to explain if it's own line item.

CC welcome.

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Post has been edited 10 months ago by mltn.
Feb 01, 2017 17:59 |  #8843

seaLere wrote in post #18260737 (external link)
So here is a question for you guys...I recently shot a new hospital mock lab that was an addition to a technical school we have here (for the construction company). I am generally one who likes to add my own light but I found that the dynamic range was so low in the rooms (no windows and I didn't need any more detail in the overhead lights). Is there anything you guys would have done to these with your own light? I generally like to add some to furniture and to fill shadows but I really couldn't find a way to use it that would help me.

In the first image I added a tiny bit to the chair, bed, and cabinets but it's very subtle.

Is that a mirror or a window? Only a couple areas register as a big dark, the ceiling, and whatever is in that window/mirror. Both of these things could be taken care of in post, so I think you're alright there. It might feel foreign, but you certainly don't always need to add extra lighting. Fluorescents can be tricky to color match to your strobe, so you certainly don't want to introduce a color cast that wasn't there before.

In fact I've been having trouble getting my Alien Bee 1600 to match tungsten lighting, I would welcome any ideas. I use a full CTO and lately I've been adding a Plus Green gel as it seems to leave a really strong magenta cast. Because of this issue, I try to use hot lights in an all-tungsten scenario, but in this case, unless you have fluorescents in your kit, it may be tough to match the color completely.

When charging for architectural work (say commercial), when charging say an hourly rate, are you including anything for editing time either? Or if you are $250 an hour, it takes 2 hours to shoot, are you charging $500 (assuming 1 license).

I'm either charging per image (with a minimum) or a day rate and other stuff on top. I've tried each strategy to try to figure out which is better for me, my mind is not made up though. I've read accounts of people who've switched from a day rate to a per shot rate, and they claim that it has increased their earnings because the per shot rate is less intimidating than a day rate. What I'm wondering is if their clients can do math or not, because either way you are talking about 4-5 figures, and it would a moment for them to calculate a total based on the per shot rate.

Anyway back on topic, it is common for architecture/interior photographers to have a "processing fee" as a line item that is based on the number of images. So you would have a flat day rate, a rate per image that you would process, then licensing/usage, expenses, etc. There are clients who will balk at some of this extra stuff, so I suppose using a simple per shot rate could be better here, or it could just be that they are cheaper, and you have to take or leave that part of it.

If you don't regularly read aphotoeditor.com, you should, and here are a few examples that relate in some way to architectural photography that might be helpful:

http://aphotoeditor.co​m ...ages-for-a-tv-commercial/ (external link)

http://aphotoeditor.co​m ...f-an-architectural-shoot/ (external link)

http://aphotoeditor.co​m ...-for-ad-agency-portfolio/ (external link)

These are all written by Jess Dudley or Craig Oppenheimer from Wonderful Machine, and in addition to seeing a full estimate, you get some really valuable insight as to how they came up with their numbers and their thinking in general.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 02, 2017 00:51 |  #8844

Haven't done a good twilight shot in a while

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by seaLere. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2017 09:05 |  #8845

joooowan wrote in post #18262278 (external link)
Haven't done a good twilight shot in a while
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=182​62278&i=i242382023
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by joooowan in
./showthread.php?p=182​62278&i=i107279531

One thing I notice on your interior photo is the edges don't seem to be stretched after doing the lens profile correction that my 17-40 gets. Are you correcting that in PS by pulling the edges in, does that lens just not do it as bad? Or are you not using the lens profile correction in LR (and if not what are you using?) Or I guess you can just be copping too.

Also, nice shots!

And to mltn: What gels are you using for your strobe?

I actually darkened the ceilings in some of the photos a little bit just to put the focus in the room (i bracket exposured all of them since I used minimal added light).

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Feb 02, 2017 09:07 |  #8846

Some shots I did for my favorite local brewery earlier this week (Went in there to hang my landscape prints for the month anyways).

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 02, 2017 11:28 |  #8847

I usually just use the LR correction (auto more than vertical) presets and tweak them in photoshop. LR alone only gets it right-on like 40% of the time.

CC welcome.

seaLere
Joined Mar 2013
Rapid City, SD
Feb 02, 2017 11:56 |  #8848

joooowan wrote in post #18262603 (external link)
I usually just use the LR correction (auto more than vertical) presets and tweak them in photoshop. LR alone only gets it right-on like 40% of the time.

Do you pull the left and right sides inward or crop? Your edges look clean.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 02, 2017 12:12 |  #8849

seaLere wrote in post #18262632 (external link)
Do you pull the left and right sides inward or crop? Your edges look clean.

a little bit of both I'd say? the auto perspective thing never gets it 100% so I always have to skew the edges slightly to get it perfect and if anything looks odd I crop it a little.

CC welcome.

joooowan
Joined Jan 2009
Feb 02, 2017 21:55 |  #8850

little experimental angle today

HOSTED PHOTO

CC welcome.

sponsored links

1,205,911 views & 1191 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.