Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 31 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 16:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help with my Canon 40D

pro1a
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Ireland
Jan 31, 2017 16:40 |  #1

Hi all,

Hope you's are all well.

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have my Canon 40D I bought new back in 2007 and believe it or not it only has 2000 shutter counts. Its still like new. I never used it much. I know there's a lot of new cameras out since then. One of these days I'll upgrade ;)
Anyway the problem with my Canon 40D is in the last while when I turn the big wheel or dial on the back of the camera to look through my photos it won't move to the next image. But they do rotate or move when I use the small wheel on top of the camera. Any one know whats wrong?
Thanks

Rockypro1

No Guts No Glory

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
Michigan-U.S.A.
Post has been edited 10 months ago by runninmann.
Jan 31, 2017 16:48 |  #2

I don't have an immediate answer. I'll charge my battery, pull my 40D off the shelf and see if it has anything to do with the switch on the rear of the camera being in the "ON" postion instead of in the full up position.

This has to be the record for the longest time between joining and making your first post. Welcome (?) to POTN.

My Gear

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,785 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 31, 2017 16:50 |  #3

The way I read your description, your problem makes no sense. Turn camera off. Turn camera on. Press <REVIEW> button (little triangle). Turn wheel. That should work.

If needed, you should be able to download the manual (.PDF) here: http://www.canon.com/i​cpd/ (external link)

Tom

jabtas
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Teesside UK
Post has been edited 10 months ago by jabtas.
Jan 31, 2017 16:53 |  #4

Not sure about the 40D, but the 20D has a lock on the rear wheel
Its on the power switch on the rear of the camera, make sure its on the third click of the on/off switch

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtasexternal link

pro1a
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Ireland
Jan 31, 2017 16:57 as a reply to runninmann's post |  #5

Thanks for the welcome. I would be grateful for the help.
Ha its a record alright I should get a brownie points for that lol

No Guts No Glory

jabtas
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Teesside UK
Jan 31, 2017 16:57 |  #6

I just checked my 20D, rear wheel works in playback even if 'locked'

Tim

PhotosGuy
74,885 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jan 31, 2017 17:03 |  #7

jabtas wrote in post #18260878 (external link)
I just checked my 20D, rear wheel works in playback even if 'locked'

Mine, too. Maybe you've assigned a Custom Function to it?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

jabtas
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Teesside UK
Jan 31, 2017 17:05 |  #8

Does the rear wheel work during normal operation, aperture control, focus point selection etc ??

Tim

pro1a
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Ireland
Jan 31, 2017 17:08 as a reply to jabtas's post |  #9

Hi
l have not tried the lock on the on off switch yet, I have work at 5am till 6 pm 4 on 4 off so after I get home from work tomo evening I'll give it a try. Will check here first thing to see anymore updates about it.

Thanks guys.

No Guts No Glory

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,254 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 31, 2017 18:23 |  #10

I had a 40D but forgot. Checked the manual and it does have the Power/Quick Control Dial switch. My bet is that is it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Feb 01, 2017 04:30 |  #11

you guys make me regret selling my 40D :cry: :-(

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,633 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Feb 01, 2017 04:49 |  #12

The power/lock switch will only disable the rear dial during shooting. It doesn't matter how it's set when reviewing pictures. I still have a working 40D, so it's easy for me to check.

Anders

Spinner
Joined Aug 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Feb 01, 2017 04:50 |  #13

Just checked my 40D. It makes no difference when reviewing images whether the ON/OFF switch is "ON" or at the top position. The large rear wheel works for both.

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jaybee35/ (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,633 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Feb 01, 2017 04:52 |  #14

runninmann wrote in post #18260870 (external link)
This has to be the record for the longest time between joining and making your first post.

Is it also a record for shortest time between first post and title fairy engagement?

Anders

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by Wilt. 14 edits done in total.
Feb 01, 2017 07:57 |  #15

You probably have a failed rear wheel which are not sending signals each time it is rotated.

In spite of the fact that the 40D is an old camera, you might still find camera repair shops that still work on them, so inquire about CLA plus thumbwheel cleaning/replacement.

Just within the past 6 months my venerable 5D suddenly died in the middle of shooting. I found a shop that still worked on them, and they quoted $400 to replace a failed circuit and to also do the mirror fix (which had never been done) and CLA the camera, and that was still less expensive than buying a used, more worn looking 5D with an unknown number of shutter actuations...and unfortunately the world was not impressed quite enough with the 5DIV to drive down the prices for the 5D3 and 5DII!

Like you, I still have my trusty 40D. The 50D had more pixels and worse noise than the 40D, and in the 60D (and onward) Canon departed from the categorization of the nnD as the 'prosumer' and migrated them more in the direction of nnnD 'snapshooter' user interface (with elimination of a PC sync socket and the elimination of the joystick, etc. and then there was the transmissive display in lieu of a finder with exchangeable focus screens, so no more En-S precision focusing screen). So I never found sufficient desire for upgrade vs. the (to me) newer compromises. And then there is the fact that the relative gain in resolution at the cost of disk capacity consumption, when I rarely even push the capabilities of 10 year old cameras, is not a motivating factor either.

• 1.4x the linear resolution for twice the disk capacity consumption: 40D vs. 7DII
  • 1.5x the liinear resolution for 2.4x the disk capacity consumption: 5D vs. 5DIV

I have to admit to feeling more and more like my POTN title dubs me (old flatulence), but video in the dSLR carries zero appeal to me and the 'next revolution' simply has not happened...the industry and the public has succumbed to the 'resolution' advancement in spite of the fact the world was convinced less than a decade ago that resolution was not the stuff of revolution. And just how often do I need five or six digit ISO with low noise?! If the 'old stuff' works just fine, sometimes we have no real need to pull money out of our wallets to impress others!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,374 views & 5 likes for this thread
Help with my Canon 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.