Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 22 Nov 2016 (Tuesday) 20:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Intheswamp's b&w efforts...a slow thread.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Intheswamp.
Jan 08, 2017 17:05 |  #16

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/741/31820277490_747ae4face_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QtRe​TY] (external link)IMG_2141app2SE (Custom) (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 08, 2017 22:51 |  #17

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/535/31383919583_9a10aa1d01_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PPhM​TM] (external link)Old RV Ladder (external link) by Intheswamp (external link), on Flickr

arumdevil
649 posts
Joined May 2004
UK
Post has been edited 8 months ago by arumdevil.
Jan 26, 2017 14:17 |  #18

I love B&W photography as that's how I started out - for me some of these have too much contrast and the shadows are too dark. Part of that may be the way you converted from colour rather than the exposure?

I like the one of the water/walkway (although the sky looks a bit odd), the vehicle and the woodwork in the wall. I basically like to see more mid-tone texture which these photos have pretty good.

What is your conversion process?

Regards, arum.
"Originality is merely an illusion" M.C.Escher

6D | 50 f/1.4 USM | 28 f/1.8 USM | 24 f/2.8 | 70-210 f/4 | YN560-II

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Jan 31, 2017 08:22 |  #19

Arum, thanks for the feedback! I'm hobbling along with my conversions. As of lately I've been using the LAB method and dabbling with Silver Efex Pro. Eventually I'll settle down upon a style...I hope. :) Silver Efex is very good and gives an instant foundation from which to venture out from in tweaking photos Using LAB and converting gives me more hands-on experience but as of now I get more limited results due to my uneducated skills. It's a learning process that I hit at when I get a chance and a subject...I'm enjoying the trip.

The first image of the large building was shot in mid to late afternoon on a clear, cold autumn day. The intention was a high contrast image. Some of the others were basically what I liked...whether it was high-contrast or more smooth midtones. ;)

I'm glad that you asked these questions as I think I will start including the base process of converting when I post an image...it makes the image more informative. Thanks for asking!!!

Ed

arumdevil
649 posts
Joined May 2004
UK
Post has been edited 8 months ago by arumdevil.
Feb 01, 2017 07:05 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #20

A lot of it is down to personal taste so I'm just saying what I like, and obviously at the end of the day if you like it that's what really matters. That said, CC and reflection is of course helpful to get is to think a bit more laterally.

I myself haven't been taking photos much in the last few years and haven't really done any B&W conversions for a long time. I think the LAB process was one of my faves when I did though.

For me B&W is all about texture. High contrast images in themselves don't do it for me, but localised high contrast, within a generally nice textured photograph really kicks it off for me...

What camera are you shooting with? Something to perhaps experiment with - particularly if you're shooting RAW anyway, is to set your picture profile to Monochrome (and quality to RAW) and maybe even experiment with the different filter options built into the monochrome mode in the camera. Because (and only if) you're shooting RAW, the final images will still be in full colour so you can always convert to B&W with your preferred method later, or leave in colour, but it allows to see the effects immediately after shooting and may help to speed up your process of learning what works really well in B&W for you.... Just a thought.

Anyway all in all I'd say you're on the right track. Enjoy!

Regards, arum.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 01, 2017 08:06 |  #21

Thanks again, Arum. I'm starving for CC and general feedback...never hesitate sharing it with me. I agree that being able to expand our vision helps us in many ways. Wearing blinders to new ideas can get you run over by the passing idea train. ;)

Don't go to a lot of trouble, but if you have an image that you can easily share or point to that shows what you are speaking of when you say "localised high contrast, within a generally nice textured photograph" I would appreciate it. I *think* I have an idea, but an image would really help.

I'm shooting a 6D and shoot RAW+jpg. The next time out shooting I'll switch over to monochrome and see how it works for me. I would love to view the scene in monochrome but apparently that is only available in live-view and I'm one of those guys that likes to stick his eye to the viewfinder. But, reviewing in monochrome is definitely an option.

The first thing that I need to do is get out and shoot more... Seems I'm shooting more family and church events than anything...I'm feeling more utilitarian than artistic... :)

Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Ed

arumdevil
649 posts
Joined May 2004
UK
Feb 01, 2017 14:12 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #22

I wanted to post an example earlier but I couldn't find anything suitable on my Flickr account. Will sort something soon as I want to get back into B&W anyway....

Regards, arum.

arumdevil
649 posts
Joined May 2004
UK
Post has been last edited 10 days ago by arumdevil. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 01, 2017 14:20 |  #23

Oh wow, ok so I didn't realise I still had this gallery up, but there are a few examples of the sort of thing I mean in this gallery (external link), for example:

IMAGE: http://arumdevil.com/galleries/imgs/pls/pls_1299.jpg

All those shots were taken MANY years ago on a EOS 300d (D rebel)...

Actually this one has more of the kind of 'texture' I like to get in my B&W images but I don't have a B&W version to hand.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4476/37458794542_681f012d68_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Z577​zd] (external link)Citroen_2cv_boat_FK (external link) by ArumDev (external link), on Flickr

Regards, arum.

sponsored links

4,107 views & 11 likes for this thread
Intheswamp's b&w efforts...a slow thread.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.