Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 31 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 18:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Camera to get

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Safety Harbor Fl
Jan 31, 2017 18:54 |  #1

My daughter (who is living in Germany at the moment) has told me she wishes to get into photography. I own a 7D and use it for wildlife photography but her interests lay in landscape, food and architectural photography. I dont think the 7D would be the best camera for her, any suggestions on what would be a good camera for her.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,713 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jan 31, 2017 19:00 |  #2

For landscape and architectural photography she's going to be carrying it a lot, so how does she feel about the weight of the 7D?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Safety Harbor Fl
Feb 01, 2017 06:51 |  #3

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18260972 (external link)
For landscape and architectural photography she's going to be carrying it a lot, so how does she feel about the weight of the 7D?

Actually I am advising against the 7D and wanted to know what other model to get for her interests. Weight should be light but photo quality high?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 01, 2017 07:02 |  #4

cdiver2 wrote in post #18261334 (external link)
Actually I am advising against the 7D and wanted to know what other model to get for her interests. Weight should be light but photo quality high?

A 80D with a 18-135 STM lens would be a good start. She might need a wider lens for interiors so the 10-22 would be a good choice. I had one when I was using a crop camera and liked it (they are often available used here: not sure about Germany). The new 10-18 STM is a less expensive option.

You didn't mention a budget but as time goes one, she might like to add a 100L macro lens for food.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Bassat.
Feb 01, 2017 07:31 |  #5

I second Kim's suggestion for the 80D. You can save some money by going with an older (60D, 70D) body, but the 80D is a significant upgrade, and worth the money if you (she?) can afford it. I'd pass on the 18-135 lens (any of them), though. Canon is currently kitting the 80D with the 18-55 STM (get this), and the 18-135 nano-USM (don't get this). The 18-55 is optically very good. The 18-135 nano-USM is slower focusing than the ring USM of better glass, and noisier than STM if you do video. Nano-USM is truly a technological answer to a question nobody was asking (When is Canon going to release a lens that focuses slower than USM, and is noisier than STM?).

Use the difference (18-55 vs 18-135) to pay for the 10-22. It is, IMHO, better glass than the 10-18 (I've had both). It is also faster, and covers a more useful zoom range.

This still leaves you (her?) without a long(er) lens. Consider the 55-250 STM. Optically, it is quite good, even if the focus is a bit slow. You can get better if you want to spend more. Any of the 70-200s (suggesting f/4L IS) is far and away better glass, and priced accordingly.

EDIT:
I'd also suggest the ef-s 60mm macro lens before the 100L for macro on a crop camera. At 100mm on an aps-c body, she won't get a plate of food in the frame while sitting at the table. The next table over, maybe. The 60 may even be overkill. You can do nice close-up work with a close-focusing lens like the 28 1.8, or 35 f/2 (either of them).

Tom

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Intheswamp.
Feb 01, 2017 08:13 |  #6

I'm not giving advice being the rank newbie that I am, but do have a question/remark...

With the interest in landscape and architectural photography, though the price would be higher, wouldn't a full-frame camera work better with wide-angle lenses?

Ed

ETA: Probably showing my ignorance. ;)

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Feb 01, 2017 09:31 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #7

A 10-22 on a crop will give a wider field of view at the wide end as a 18-xxx on a FF.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

PhotosGuy
74,713 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 8 months ago by PhotosGuy with reason 'more'.
Feb 01, 2017 10:02 |  #8

With the way that shorter WA lenses diminish the background, I'm feeling that for some landscapes a panorama series with a longer lens is the way to go. Anyone else?
13 Tips for Better Landscape Panorama Photography (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 01, 2017 10:08 |  #9

cdiver2 wrote in post #18261334 (external link)

Is Canon a requirement? There are many options that are well suited for landscape/architecture​/food outside the Canon family. The Sony Alpha a7R II is an outstanding camera being small, light, extremely high quality IQ and well suited for things that stay still. The Nikon D750 also is ideal for your stated purpose and much cheaper. In Canon land, the 6D and the 5DS are probably the best choices.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 01, 2017 10:15 |  #10

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18261452 (external link)
A 10-22 on a crop will give a wider field of view at the wide end as a 18-xxx on a FF.

But the same as the 16-35 or 16-40. In addition you have quite a few other wider options. I'm with intheswamp, a FF is well suited to the OPs stated subjects.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 01, 2017 10:17 |  #11

cdiver2 wrote in post #18260964 (external link)
. . . . . her interests lay in landscape, food and architectural photography.

With those interests, I would be looking for lenses first.......what I mean by that is that I would look for the system that has the best lenses, particularly tilt/shift lenses, and then I would buy a full frame body from that system.

The full frame Sony mirrorless body is excellent, but I don't know how great it works with tilt/shift lenses, because of the need to use an adaptor. Do you lose a little something when using an adaptor with a tilt/shift lens? Maybe someone with first-hand knowledge of this combination could offer some insight.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

gjl711
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Feb 01, 2017 10:23 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18261501 (external link)
With those interests, I would be looking for lenses first.......what I mean by that is that I would look for the system that has the best lenses, particularly tilt/shift lenses, and then I would buy a full frame body from that system.

The full frame Sony mirrorless body is excellent, but I don't know how great it works with tilt/shift lenses, because of the need to use an adaptor. Do you lose a little something when using an adaptor with a tilt/shift lens? Maybe someone with first-hand knowledge of this combination could offer some insight.

The adapters are like tubes, no optics inside, just air so no change in IQ.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 01, 2017 10:24 |  #13

Well, for what she has stated as primary photographic goals, medium format will provide much better results than 35mm full frame. She can get the Pentax 645Z, 45mm f/2.8, or 35mm f/3.5 for just under $9,000.

Perhaps we need a working budget in order to make useful suggestions.

Tom

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,031 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Safety Harbor Fl
Feb 01, 2017 15:58 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #14

$9000 is out of the question, she is not going to be earning a living with it it is a hobby. I would say no more than $1000

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Feb 01, 2017 16:17 |  #15

This kit can also be had at local big box stores, Target etc,..
T6i with 18-135mm STM.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...6i_dslr.html/prm/al​sVwDtl (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,878 views & 9 likes for this thread
What Camera to get
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.