Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 10 Feb 2015 (Tuesday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aftermarket E-LP6, which make?

MikeWa
Joined Apr 2012
Seattle Washington
Feb 26, 2015 16:07 as a reply to post 17450146 |  #31

I was just posting a heads up. The battery in question is 1800mAh. It charges fine on the old charger that came with my 7D but will not charge on the charger that came with my 7D-II. Go figure. All three of my other batteries charge fine with either charger. I have two LP-E6 and two LP-E6N batteries the one with the issue is one of the LP-E6 batteries. So I am making the supposition that there is something different about the two chargers and about this battery. I am also posting a heads up for other users. I have a couple more aftermarket batteries on order. I will post a follow up after I receive them.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

sponsored links
WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by WildImages. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2017 17:02 |  #32

I really am snakebite with third party batteries. I have had Wasabi batteries fail several times in Canon LP-E6 and Nikon EN-EL20 sizes. My wife has also had Wasabi failures. I have better luck just biting the bullet and going with OEM batteries.

I have tried to buy batteries on eBay but that can be a real trip. What some sellers advertise as OEM might be OEM but they can be knock-offs too. Beware if you try to by batteries made by the camera manufacturer on eBay!

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 30, 2017 07:03 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #33

After posting the above two paragraphs, I thought I would try what others recommend and fished the last Wasabi LP-E6 battery I threw away as bad from the recycle bucket and tried to charge it in the Wasabi charger. It worked! What will not charge in the Canon charger will indeed charge in the Wasabi charger. Now to try the battery in my 7D Mk II to see if it holds charge.

pknight
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
Flyover Country
Feb 01, 2017 09:56 |  #34

Interesting. I have one Canon battery, two Wasabi, and one Watson that came with my 7DII from B&H. I use the Canon charger to charge all of them, with no problems.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD Macro, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 01, 2017 13:55 |  #35

pknight wrote in post #18261480 (external link)
Interesting. I have one Canon battery, two Wasabi, and one Watson that came with my 7DII from B&H. I use the Canon charger to charge all of them, with no problems.

I have seen that behavior though too. Cannot remember if it was with Wasabi or not though. I have had the Canon charger just blink and blink and blink, and never fully charge the battery, and I have had it go green, but the battery wasn't full. I think the chipped aftermarkets probably worried more about getting the batteries to work with the cameras, but the chargers are looking for something else?

I see Sterlingtek LP-E6 go for $13 each on Amazon, I might pick up a couple.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by TreeburnerCT.
Feb 01, 2017 15:33 |  #36

On the recommendation of others on this forum I bought Sterlingtek LP-E6's for my 7D Mark II and they have worked perfectly in the Canon battery grip. Since the capacity is almost 30% higher than the Canon batteries it doesn't surprise me that you'd see discrepancies in the charge level, but at least they communicate with the camera.

Also bought Wasabi and BM batteries for my T6s which uses LP-E17 batteries, however those do NOT communicate with the camera so do not show current charge level, however they still work great and at a fraction of the price I'm happy to give up the battery indicator.

The truth is, all batteries are subject to shorting, overcharging, overdischarging, etc. including Lithium Ion, regardless of the maker. As an e-cig user I've seen all too often what happens when people charge their batteries with the wrong charger or short them out by carrying them in their pocket full of loose change, however these problems can present even in regular usage. Batteries failing is not a new thing, but as we use higher and higher powered batteries the consequences of battery failures is becoming more severe, which leads to more news coverage and scaremongering. Treat your batteries well, use the charger that comes with them or at least a charger that has the correct output amperage and voltage, and if they get damaged (including the wrapper coming off or even getting scratched - the wrapper is the insulation!) dispose of them properly and immediately. In regards to batteries, when in doubt throw them out! Also, while I do use aftermarket batteries, make sure you buy a reputable brand, because mislabeled batteries (counterfeits) sold commonly on ebay and Amazon are a major cause of many battery failures, and most of the people buying these batteries probably don't even realize they bought a counterfeit.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

PJJ205
194 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Feb 01, 2017 16:40 |  #37

I have Wasabi batteries matched with Canons in both my 7DII and 5DIV, both work perfectly fine and read the battery lives with no problems. Charged one Wasabi on its charger and another on a Canon charger last night; both charged fine and the Canon charger read it then showed the green dot when it was done. Put two Wasabi's in my 7DII afterwards and it fired up fine. I'm happy with the Wasabi batteries so far.

pknight
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
Flyover Country
Feb 02, 2017 08:04 |  #38

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18261744 (external link)
I have seen that behavior though too. Cannot remember if it was with Wasabi or not though. I have had the Canon charger just blink and blink and blink, and never fully charge the battery, and I have had it go green, but the battery wasn't full. I think the chipped aftermarkets probably worried more about getting the batteries to work with the cameras, but the chargers are looking for something else?

I see Sterlingtek LP-E6 go for $13 each on Amazon, I might pick up a couple.

On Amazon, Wasabi specifically claims compatibility with the Canon charger, and compatibility between their chargers and Canon OEM batteries. This full cross-compatibility is consistent with my experience. With a 3-year warranty, you should be able to get things working right if they don't at first.

On Amazon Wasabi 2600 mAh LP-E6 batteries are $15 each, two for $25, $30 for two batteries with a single battery charger and car kit, and $31 for two batteries and a dual battery charger. I really like having the extra chargers.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC PZD Macro, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2017 08:06 as a reply to pknight's post |  #39

I may have to send my remaining wasabi back to them perhaps? I have to see when I bought them (one went with a camera sale in the past). I know mine doesn't work correctly as is, but I have had Wasabi in the past that were great.

EDIT: Yeah, about that Wasabi warranty, there is a $6 fee to return a battery under warranty, plus the shipping... not much of a warranty, that covers the cost of the battery for them, and the shipping back to me. Not very useful in my book anyways.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
Flyover Country
Feb 02, 2017 09:31 |  #40

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18262436 (external link)
I may have to send my remaining wasabi back to them perhaps? I have to see when I bought them (one went with a camera sale in the past). I know mine doesn't work correctly as is, but I have had Wasabi in the past that were great.

EDIT: Yeah, about that Wasabi warranty, there is a $6 fee to return a battery under warranty, plus the shipping... not much of a warranty, that covers the cost of the battery for them, and the shipping back to me. Not very useful in my book anyways.

Yeah. I just saw the mention of the warranty on Amazon. It gives a special insight to the term "limited" warranty.

sponsored links

7,744 views & 3 likes for this thread
Aftermarket E-LP6, which make?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.