Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 31 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 18:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Camera to get

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Feb 01, 2017 16:55 |  #16

Just because...

a used sony A7 with a 35mm lens may be just the ticket. or a 6D with the same, used.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 01, 2017 17:00 |  #17

cdiver2 wrote in post #18261334 (external link)
Actually I am advising against the 7D and wanted to know what other model to get for her interests. Weight should be light but photo quality high?

What are your reasons for advising against the 7D? It may be an 'old' model, but in its day it was a very fine camera. Compared to a current model,

• It does not have the resolution of today's cameras
  • it is not as 'noise' free as today's cameras
  • it does not have as high of ISO settings as today's camera
  • it does not have as good of AF (fast acting, even in low light)

...but only the first one affects a landscape shooter, the rest only affect sports/action/nighttim​e and indoors shooters

So why are you biased against the 7D for her, if she is just getting interested (and may lose interest--our youngest lost interest in spite of saying she was interested to learn more!) If your bias is the weight, even going mirrorless does not truly save weight compared to the same-size-sensor dSLR when you have mounted the same FL lens on it (we're ignoring the very small 'pancake' lenses here, on the point of size/weight)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,049 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Feb 01, 2017 17:04 |  #18

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18261452 (external link)
A 10-22 on a crop will give a wider field of view at the wide end as a 18-xxx on a FF.

...crop arithmetic using 1.6 factor would show that 10mm on APS-C body = 16mm on FF body

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 01, 2017 17:20 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #19

Hmm, Wilt's post up above got me to thinking. It might be a good time for the OP to upgrade and "hand-me-down" the 7D to his daughter. Just thinking.... ;-)a

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 01, 2017 18:22 |  #20

gjl711 wrote in post #18261510 (external link)
The adapters are like tubes, no optics inside, just air so no change in IQ.

Well yes, of course; rather obvious - totally understand.
What I was asking about is whether the effects/dynamics/FOV of tilt/shift lenses are changed at all by adding that thin bit of space between the lens and the body/sensor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,341 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Bassat.
Feb 01, 2017 19:01 |  #21

Intheswamp wrote in post #18261961 (external link)
Hmm, Wilt's post up above got me to thinking. It might be a good time for the OP to upgrade and "hand-me-down" the 7D to his daughter. Just thinking.... ;-)a

Good thinkin'! My wife will be OK with me giving my 6D to my grandson so I can get myself a 5D4, right?

EDIT:
Then, a week later, I'll have upgrade my 80D to 7D2. Similar controls and all that...

Tom

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,048 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 01, 2017 19:15 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18262001 (external link)

Well yes, of course; rather obvious - totally understand.
What I was asking about is whether the effects/dynamics/FOV of tilt/shift lenses are changed at all by adding that thin bit of space between the lens and the body/sensor.

The adapter just moves the lens to where it should be on a non-mirrorless body so the distances are the same between the mirrorless and non.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 01, 2017 19:17 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18261513 (external link)
Well, for what she has stated as primary photographic goals, medium format will provide much better results than 35mm full frame. She can get the Pentax 645Z, 45mm f/2.8, or 35mm f/3.5 for just under $9,000.

Perhaps we need a working budget in order to make useful suggestions.

LOL Tom.....

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Feb 01, 2017 19:19 |  #24

Whatever you get, you will be creating very large files which will need to reside somewhere. Budget accordingly.

sponsored links

1,897 views & 9 likes for this thread
What Camera to get
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.