Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 01 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 01:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New and would love feedback

arch-vandelay
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 01, 2017 01:26 |  #1

Hi, I'm new to the site and would love some constructive criticism. A little about me, I've been doing photography as a hobby and have recently started printing my work and would love help on improving my compositions as well as techniques and tips that can let me take better shots. My passion is urban/architecture photography. Thanks for the taking the time out for any advice, cheers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Feb 01, 2017 03:39 |  #2

#1 is too busy, not enough DOF...#2, you need to center the statue.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Feb 01, 2017 06:15 |  #3

#1 uninteresting subject. #2 I like the angled view - nice shot!

a gobba gobba glass

PhotosGuy
74,881 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Feb 01, 2017 07:25 |  #4

1) The wide range of light in #1 forces a long exposure for the environment which is not good for the signs. I suggest that you shoot in RAW for a start because it has more latitude. When to begin shooting in RAW?

2) Do you have Photoshop? If not, try the free version: the free PSCS2 (external link)

3) And learn how to use Layer Masks. Look at Three pages on Layer Masks (external link)
&
Adjustment layer basics (external link)

That should keep you busy for a while! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 01, 2017 07:39 |  #5

Welcome to the forum. These are my thoughts...

Both images are soft. You have a nice lens but neither shot, in my opinion, benefit from the f1.4 aperture as it will yield a very shallow depth of field, as chancey noted. Maybe you were shooting that wide open for the low-light???? You would do well to use a tripod (or monopod if you've got a steady hand) in these situations, increase the f-stop # (smaller aperture), and decrease the shutter speed. I don't now how the 40D handles noise at higher ISO so all I'll say regarding that is that an image with more noise in it is usually preferred over a blurry/out-of-focus one.

The softness/lack of sharpenss and the "busy-ness" of the first image doesn't make for a good image. I really see no point of interest in the scene, nothing to direct my eyes to a specific area. Had there been a deserted bicycle in sharp focus, or maybe a solitary person enjoying a cup of soup or something in sharp focus that could be a focal point for the viewer it may have worked.

The bottom photo lacks sharpness, it seems the highlights in the gold areas should shine more. Some of this could be camera shake. Being at 1/60sec you are close to the focal length of the lens...any camera movement could soften/blur the image...in a perfect world I'd want my shutter speed to be close to double my focal length, but sometimes we have to compromise. ;) I like the slight angle of the photo...the tilt and expanse of area to the left of the statue draws my attention to the ornate gold area. Most people concentrate on the statues...I like that this image concentrates on the background.

Keep shooting. Maybe do some experiments using higher ISO settings in low-light situations and find out what noise-level you are comfortable with in those situations.

You might want to google "Bryan Peterson". He's got lots of good info and tutorials on the internet. One thing that he talks about are "story telling" images. Here is one such (short) Youtube video... https://youtu.be/KG9s-zR3jC8 (external link) He has other videos and tutorials regarding this (and lots of other things)...check'em out.

Also, for depth-of-field, you might want to visit this webpage... http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link) It is a DOF calculator...you plug your camera, lens, f-stop, and focus distance into the calculator and it gives you the depth of field that results. It is good for getting an idea in your mind of just how shallow (or deep) different lens settings can affect DOF.

Best wishes and have fun!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 01, 2017 08:28 |  #6

I just looked back and see that the first photo was shot at 1/25sec...did you per chance use a tripod? That is indeed slow speed for handheld...not impossible to do, but require a *very* steady hand or prop.

Something else that came to me is the fact that you have begun to print some of your images. How have your recent prints turned out? The monitor has to be calibrated close to a "standard" for the print to come out close to the way it looks on the screen. The printer expects a certain "color profile". For example, if the monitor is set too bright and you actually lower the brightness in your photos to make them look "right" then they may come back too dark from the printer. ...I think I got that right. :lol: Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention that.

Ed

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by atsilverstein. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 01, 2017 21:32 |  #7

You'll need to study composition and night photography techniques. Both photos are lacking in composition with #1 also having no or an unclear and uninteresting subject.

Photos I took last summer, both hand held:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 01, 2017 23:54 as a reply to chauncey's post |  #8

Thanks for the quick and dirty, I appreciate your response.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 01, 2017 23:55 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #9

Thanks for the helpful links, I'll start reading and applying the knowledge.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 01, 2017 23:57 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #10

Hey, thank you very much for the links. I appreciate the in-depth critique.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 01, 2017 23:59 as a reply to rwmson's post |  #11

Thanks, the first shot seems to have missed the mark as many have stated. Hope to get further critiques from you in the future.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 02, 2017 00:03 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #12

For the first photo, I did not use a tripod. Thank you for the tip when printing. Right now I've only started printing images at 10"x20". For the print files I actually need to brighten them since the prints have turned out darker than I wanted.

arch-vandelay
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Feb 02, 2017 00:08 as a reply to atsilverstein's post |  #13

Hi, I understand the lack of focus on a subject for the first image. However, can you elaborate on how the 2nd image lacks in composition and subject? Thank you for your time in critiquing my photos. I'm gaining a lot of understanding of where I need to improve on.

King ­ Kenny
Joined Dec 2016
La Haye du Puits: Normandy, France.
Feb 02, 2017 06:47 |  #14

Good critique and positive response. You will learn a lot. The First picture, apart from the technical aspects already mentioned, may have benefitted from a different point of view. If you had taken a step or two to the left and focused on the seated people you would have a central point of interest. Most photos could be improved so Keep on taking photographs.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 02, 2017 07:19 |  #15

arch-vandelay wrote in post #18262249 (external link)
For the first photo, I did not use a tripod. Thank you for the tip when printing. Right now I've only started printing images at 10"x20". For the print files I actually need to brighten them since the prints have turned out darker than I wanted.

Are you doing your own printing at home or are you having them done at a lab/processor?

sponsored links

2,746 views & 2 likes for this thread
New and would love feedback
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.