Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 29 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 08:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do I view an entire image?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,425 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed. 8 edits done in total.
Feb 02, 2017 08:59 |  #16

Unfortunately, there are multiple layers at work here.

1) Video settings selected for the system being used.
2) Browser being used and its zoom level settings for text and graphics.
3) The website being used and serving up images in various flavors and sizes, as it detects the type of browser and device you are on.

Instead of using POTN as a basis for sharing an image to see how it works (because AMASS has options beyond the browser options that could vary by person, and it is a "smart" site detecting what you are using to access the forum to render views differently), I would suggest using some random Google image as a metric for figuring out the issue, or some VBulletin based forum. It removes AMASS as a factor, leaving you with just points 1 and 2 to deal with. You then could try a common browser with the same settings to help minimize that as an agent for this problem.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 02, 2017 13:34 |  #17

Ok, so maybe I'm not through with the thread... ;)

I'm at work on the 1908 monitor (1280x1024). Below are two screen shots that show (I think :oops: ) the monitor and video card resolutions.

I'm using Chrome for the browser.

Chrome's zoom is set to 100%, which if that means that images are to be shown at 100% of the original size then the image running off the bottom of the monitor seems correct to me. I can reduce the zoom down to 50% and the kickboxer (914x1280) is neatly shown with room to spare above and below the image. Hitting the eyeglass with zoom set to 50% gives me a good viewing sized image. Zooming in to 67% and using the eyeglasses trims just a touch off of the bottom of the kickboxer. BUT, all the text is basically too small to comfortably read.

I opened the kickboxer up in Photoshop CS2 and it opened up in the normal (for me) 50% zoomed window in it's entirety.

Ya'll, I'm struggling here to explain myself...ya'll are leap-years ahead of me on this stuff. Hope some of this last info helped.

Ed

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 02, 2017 13:42 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #18

What you have shown is that at work, with the video card properly configured to 1280 x 1024, and with a 1280 x 1024 monitor, if you view kickboxer with Chrome set for 50% zoom, you can see all of kickboxer but the text in the browser is tiny. If you reset Chrome to 100%, text is more readable but kickboxer is cut off because you are viewing a 1280 photo on 1024 pixel viewable area (as defined by the video card configuration.

So if you go home and repeat the same experiement (and assuming the video card is wrongly configured to 1280 x 1024 for your 1900 x 1200 monitor), if you view kickboxer with Chrome set for 50% zoom, you can see all of kickboxer but the text in the browser is tiny (both text and kickboxer are shown at 50%...1280v is displayed to fit 640v on a 1024 tall video space). If you reset Chrome to 100%, text is more readable but kickboxer is cut off because you are viewing a 1280 photo on 1024 pixel viewable area (as defined by the video card configuration).

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,425 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Feb 02, 2017 13:49 |  #19

I hope you get it figured out, but again, once you get into AMASS/POTN, you are going to have a different set of issues to deal with. There are settings you can control in AMASS that will affect the image sizes you see in a post.

You can change your font sizes, and you can change your margins, just 2 of the settings to work through. Margins will scale images up and down accordingly, and the font sizes are separate yet again beyond what your browser zoom level is setting your font sizes too. Browsers also have settings for font sizes across all sites. Of course these all have to work within the constraints you set for your monitor.

So once you think you have everything figured out, you may still have issues potentially with POTN.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 02, 2017 15:15 |  #20

Couldn't additional software be written for AMASS? This could be software that gives each member the ability to have all images (both hosted and attached) be automatically "scaled to fit".

AMASS would detect which browser the member is using, as well as the member's monitor size and resolution. Then, using this information, AMASS would automatically scale all images to fit completely on the member's monitor, with no "spillover".

This could even be set up as the default viewing option for all members, but would allow each member to override it if they want to in their FYEO/settings page.

Pekka's abilities are amazing - I think he can write software to do anything he wants it to!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,819 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Feb 02, 2017 15:35 |  #21

Chet wrote in post #18259009 (external link)
Hit [ctrl] 0 to reset to original zoom. [ctrl] mouse scroll will also zoom/shrink.

Depending on your web browser, this is the best solution I can think of.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Intheswamp.
Feb 02, 2017 16:54 |  #22

Wilt, that is pretty much the way things work with my computers.

Ok, I think I'll repeat my earlier resolution... I'm going to simply keep going like I've been doing and if an image scrolls off the monitor and I really want to view it I'll use the [ctrl-mousewheel] combination. :)

I think it's just something I need to deal with like everybody else does, I suppose. One day, if things change and the photos magically fit the screen and the fonts stay large enough to read...I'll just say...."COOL!". ;)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 02, 2017 17:18 |  #23

Intheswamp wrote in post #18262946 (external link)
I think it's just something I need to deal with like everybody else does, I suppose. One day, if things change and the photos magically fit the screen and the fonts stay large enough to read...I'll just say...."COOL!". ;)

It works that way for me. Images always fit entirely on the screen and the text is big enough to read. I think the key might be to get a big monitor with high resolution. My 27" 5K iMac "just magically" scales things so that it all works perfectly, photos and text alike........and I never had to do anything to set it up like that - it just worked that way right out of the box. There must be similar products and software for Windows-based systems.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,245 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Feb 07, 2017 16:00 |  #24

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18262846 (external link)

Couldn't additional software be written for AMASS? This could be software that gives each member the ability to have all images (both hosted and attached) be automatically "scaled to fit".

AMASS would detect which browser the member is using, as well as the member's monitor size and resolution. Then, using this information, AMASS would automatically scale all images to fit completely on the member's monitor, with no "spillover".

This could even be set up as the default viewing option for all members, but would allow each member to override it if they want to in their FYEO/settings page.

Maybe I've missed something (sorry) but this is how it has been working here. All images in post are scaled to post width. If the served image size exceeds post width scaling is stopped. Post width obviously changes when you change the browser width, so images follow changing browser sizes nicely (like going fullscreen and back). If you zoom in with CRTL+ the images still fit in.

If the request is about the lightbox (glasses) view (to ask if it can fit the photo fully to a monitor): I feel that the purpose of a lightbox view is to see the file as "1 pixel in the file = 1 pixel on your monitor". To scale it up or down would be illogical. Also, max. image size shown can be the browser size, images may not exceed the browser window. In other words, they can not be shown in fullscreen if browser is not in fullscreen mode.

I can do coding, but first I'd need to know what is the reason for doing it, what id should do and why.

PS. Perhaps a less known thing: if you exit the lightbox using an ESC key, you'll get a small animation on how that 100% image size was relative to the resized one inside the post.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 07, 2017 16:44 |  #25

Pekka wrote in post #18267177 (external link)
Maybe I've missed something (sorry) but this is how it has been working here.

That's awesome, Pekka!

So, I don't think you've missed anything. It works for me just fine, and I never have any problems viewing images here at whatever size I want to.

Unfortunately, I think the OP has missed something, if it is not working this way for him. It's good to know that the programming in AMASS accounts for all of the variables. Hopefully the OP gets it figured out quicky.

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 07, 2017 16:55 |  #26

Pekka, thanks for all the work you do with AMASS, it is indeed a great piece of software!!! What I've been beating the dead horse about is tat I would like to be able to view photos in their entirety rather than having some of them run off the bottom of my screen. In other words, be able to see the complete composition of the image in one view.

For example (I'm on a 19" monitor at the moment, but it would work the same on my 24")... Regardless of whether I'm viewing this image in the post it was posted in or via the lightbox I cannot see it in its entirety length-wise unless I use ctrl+mousewheel to zoom out to something like 60%...then the text is too small to realistically read: http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?p=18195796&i=i96​624976

Ed

Intheswamp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 07, 2017 16:57 |  #27

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18267213 (external link)
That's awesome, Pekka!

So, I don't think you've missed anything. It works for me just fine, and I never have any problems viewing images here at whatever size I want to.

Unfortunately, I think the OP has missed something, if it is not working this way for him. It's good to know that the programming in AMASS accounts for all of the variables. Hopefully the OP gets it figured out quicky.

I'm still struggling, Tom. I'm thinking about taking up hieroglyphs but there's very few caves around here to record my images on. :lol:

sponsored links

2,920 views & 6 likes for this thread
How do I view an entire image?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.