Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 21:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Senior firefighter polishes new fire truck.

Sigmeister
95 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Louisville
Feb 02, 2017 21:38 |  #1

This photo was just a lucky candid. The lighting is LED from the truck and natural. Please let me know what you think of this photograph.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D MkII 18-135, 40, 10-18, 55-250

sponsored links
rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Feb 03, 2017 06:25 |  #2

to me this is a snapshot.

a gobba gobba glass

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,755 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 03, 2017 06:56 |  #3

rwmson wrote in post #18263406 (external link)

You use that word like it carries some sort of negative connotation. The poster admits as much in the first sentence of his post. Its a snapshot I'd be proud of.

I like it. The photo is well-lit, well-framed, and certainly tells me a story. I see an experienced professional, proud of himself, his job, and his equipment. Or perhaps I'm just visualizing the firefighters I've seen calmly doing their jobs while the world around them goes up in flames, literally and figuratively.

Tom

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 03, 2017 08:02 |  #4

Well, if it's a snapshot it's a dang good one! A very storytelling one, too. A minimum of four more firefighters are represented in the background...maybe they'r eating supper...sleeping...in training classes....etc.,. The senior guy is making sure the firetruck exhibits the professionalism and pride that he and his crew (and many other crews around the nation...and world) have in their work...he's polishing it not because he has to (he could put a lower-ranking new guy to doing that), but rather because he *wants* to. The mostly empty bins show that work is still to be done and that soon they will be filled with life and property saving equipment...things that the crew are trained and skilled in using.

The lighting on the firefighter's face is harsh (to me). But, firetrucks aren't noted for giving off softbox grade lighting. :)

Snapshots tell many stories...taken "in a snap" with little or no pre-planning they capture a moment that will soon be gone...

Nice shot!
Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Feb 03, 2017 08:38 |  #5

Nice capture!

I think with some post processing work it might be even better. The neon yellow could be toned down a bit, and I would like to see the towel less bright and his hand more bright. A slightly tighter crop and making the right side of the frame a bit darker would round it out nicely.

But capturing the moment is what makes it a nice shot.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Feb 04, 2017 17:46 |  #6

He's right. You could have setup a 48in octobox above at 45deg camera left, and added a 60in strip behind and to the left of the subject for a nice rim light. Also, a speedlight aimed at the uniforms in the background would have really made this image great.

:rolleyes:

Now, back to reality. It's an awesome image considering that lighting is natural. Candids and snapshots are fun. When I end up with one of these, I usually make a quick print and send the picture to the person/place/organizat​ion that was involved. A sticky-note saying "Thank you for your service" would go well with this. People really appreciate that kind of thing.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

pbrimages
209 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Feb 04, 2017 17:49 |  #7

mannetti21 wrote in post #18264763 (external link)
He's right. You could have setup a 48in octobox above at 45deg camera left, and added a 60in strip behind and to the left of the subject for a nice rim light. Also, a speedlight aimed at the uniforms in the background would have really made this image great.

:rolleyes:

Now, back to reality. It's an awesome image considering that lighting is natural. Candids and snapshots are fun. When I end up with one of these, I usually make a quick print and send the picture to the person/place/organizat​ion that was involved. A sticky-note saying "Thank you for your service" would go well with this. People really appreciate that kind of thing.

HAHA, you had me there for a second. Eyes started rolling around "octobox"...

Spot on! :-D

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

atsilverstein
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2015
NYC Metro
Feb 04, 2017 20:39 |  #8

I think tweaking this could bring it out of "snapshot" territory and into environmental portrait territory. It's really borderline right now but I think that speaks to the strength of the image.

There is beautiful light on his face and his expression shows pride in what he does. There is the environment, which he is engaged in. Try bringing up the shadows so we can see what is behind him, if it's not too noisy. Crop in more to put the focus more on him. There is enough to make it obvious to the viewer he is at a firestation. Bring up exposure, warm the temperature and desat the colors, bring down the reds a bit from his face. Overall it's underexposed to me but see if you can balance out exposure on his face vs the station.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Buick ­ M
Joined Jan 2015
Feb 04, 2017 21:03 |  #9

I think its great the way it is.
Great shot!

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Feb 04, 2017 21:13 |  #10

I wish all my snapshots were like that.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 05, 2017 18:39 |  #11

This, to me, is a comment without meaning except for some vaguely derogatory connotation.

Does the shot capture a moment? Oh yes.

Would the shot benefit from a crop. I think so. Maybe it would.

Would I play around with it? If it were mine or my station or my friend oh yes. Why? Because it is a shot of high value!

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 10 months ago by ksbal.
Feb 08, 2017 14:04 |  #12

I like it a ton, the only thing I would have done is to bring up the dark shadows on the left.. or crop it so that is minimal and focus toward the right of the picture.

Most 'snapshots' aren't this good. A staged shot may not have ended up this good. Definitely a keeper, and tastes vary on what to do with it.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Sigmeister
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Louisville
Mar 03, 2017 21:58 |  #13

Here is my try at post processing with your help. What do you think now?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D MkII 18-135, 40, 10-18, 55-250

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Mar 03, 2017 22:51 |  #14

Nooo, he's a fireman not a model, don't over-process his skin like that. If anything it should be grittier and contrastier, not bright and glamorous.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Mar 04, 2017 06:51 as a reply to Sigmeister's post |  #15

I can't even put into words how much better the original is. Don't mess with it.

Ryan said it perfectly above.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,542 views & 33 likes for this thread
Senior firefighter polishes new fire truck.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.