Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 19:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Grizzly Bears!

trailboss
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Jul 24, 2015 21:56 as a reply to post 17630745 |  #16

Saw two of them hanging around Logan Pass area at the crest of the Going To The Sun road in Glacier NP in mid-Sept. Of course, this was 14 years ago, but their vertical migration patterns should be the same now, so I would expect them near the peaks in Glacier in mid-Sept.

While Griz was on the peaks, I saw a black bear swimming across Saint Mary Lake on the same day - a 2200 ft elevation difference.

sponsored links
Talaska
603 posts
Joined May 2009
Jul 26, 2015 19:05 |  #17

Lake Clark AK has a good run of silvers which is a mid August to September time frame. Denali offers a road permit lottery which allows you to take your own vehicle to whole way and this year the dates are Sept 17- 21.

1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III, 7D, 1.4X MkIII, 2X MkIII, 17-40mm L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS Mk II L, 100mm macro, 500mm f4 IS L, 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EX II, 550EX

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Michigan
Aug 11, 2015 11:36 |  #18

If you are not restricted to only the US, the Canadian Rockies is another possibility. We saw a couple of grizzlies during our visit there several years ago -- in this case it was on the Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise.

Photo Galleryexternal link
Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 11, 2015 18:18 |  #19

September can be very good for Grizz in both Glacier and Yellowstone.

In Yellowstone they like to feed on Whitebark Pine nuts in September, so look for areas where there are Whitebark Pines that are producing a good mast crop.

In Glacier I would not waste my time in the southern or western portions of the park. I would focus entirely on the Many Glacier area up in the northeast corner of the park.

I have a few grizzly photos from Yellowstone on that section of my website. Most of the grizz images are toward the end of the gallery on the last page. Most of the close-ups are not crops - that's really how close you can be. Feel free to take a look if you'd like to see what types of grizzly images are available there:
http://www.tomreichner​.com ...9T#!i=586047585&k=w​3tcVzZ (external link)
EDIT: I added a few more Yellowstone Grizz photos for you - they'r at the end of the gallery.

The cool thing about a September Yellowstone trip is that along with the Grizzlies, it is also the best time of year to photograph Pika, as they are very active in their food-gathering and hay-making pursuits. It is also the best time of the year to photograph Elk, as their rut peaks in mid-September. It is also the best time to photograph Pronghorn (lower Lamar Valley), as they also rut in September. I hope you go, and I hope you have a great and productive trip!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Aug 30, 2015 17:20 |  #20

Following

Im going up to glacier lakes area 10-14 through 10-18

would love to see some grizzlys. Suggestions and places you would recommend

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Aug 31, 2015 13:47 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17665387 (external link)
September can be very good for Grizz in both Glacier and Yellowstone.

In Yellowstone they like to feed on Whitebark Pine nuts in September, so look for areas where there are Whitebark Pines that are producing a good mast crop.

In Glacier I would not waste my time in the southern or western portions of the park. I would focus entirely on the Many Glacier area up in the northeast corner of the park.

I have a few grizzly photos from Yellowstone on that section of my website. Most of the grizz images are toward the end of the gallery on the last page. Most of the close-ups are not crops - that's really how close you can be. Feel free to take a look if you'd like to see what types of grizzly images are available there:
http://www.tomreichner​.com ...9T#!i=586047585&k=w​3tcVzZ (external link)
EDIT: I added a few more Yellowstone Grizz photos for you - they'r at the end of the gallery.

The cool thing about a September Yellowstone trip is that along with the Grizzlies, it is also the best time of year to photograph Pika, as they are very active in their food-gathering and hay-making pursuits. It is also the best time of the year to photograph Elk, as their rut peaks in mid-September. It is also the best time to photograph Pronghorn (lower Lamar Valley), as they also rut in September. I hope you go, and I hope you have a great and productive trip!

Hey Tom,

I have read this thread before, and I saw that you posted you link for people that wanted to see what they might be able to shoot if they go to Yellowstone...
What I didn't do is click on your link to your website, I only cheated myself, that was VERY entertaining, and some of the very best shots of the wildlife that can (probably) be seen up there, and to say I was impressed is an understatement! :)
Really, you do very good work, and I apologize for not clicking the link the last time. heheh

bw!

Thank you!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

bhowdy
Joined Jan 2008
east Tennessee
Sep 04, 2015 10:24 |  #22

Lake Clark National Park .... Book a trip to either the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge or the Homestead Lodge and Coastal Brown Bears are a 100% certainty

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

My Full Gear List - My Photo Galleriesexternal link

drewhh
Joined Apr 2011
Alaska
Jul 06, 2016 22:09 |  #23

McNeil River, AK in June and July is the best place to photograph brown bears...bar none. September is good on the Katmai Coast and at Brooks Camp.

switched to olympus

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 18, 2016 15:39 |  #24

Since this thread has been resurrected ...
We are thinking of staying overnight in King Salmon and either getting the first flight in to Katmai (7am) or the last flight out (7pm).
Is there any advantage of having longer in the afternoon or longer in the morning ? We'd be looking at around this time of year.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

Mel-S
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Eastern Idaho
Jul 25, 2016 19:27 |  #25

As an anecdote to this thread, here's a short news article about a griz a few miles from here. He was 26 years old.

http://www.eastidahone​ws.com ...-killing-bear-euthanized/ (external link)

80D, 70D, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 DC HSM ART, 24-70 f2.8L, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6L, Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, TC 1.4x III, 430 EX II, Induro AM24 w/3Pod H1, CT214 w/PHQ-1, and several cold beers.

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Feb 03, 2017 09:31 |  #26

Permits are required for Anan Creek until August 26 when one can enter without going through the permit process or buying entry from a guide. I know bush planes go to Anan from Ketchikan, about a 40 minute flight more or less. Jet boats from Wrangell also go there, about an hour's ride.

I have been five times to Anan, the most recent in 2014. One can see, notice I said "can", both Brown and Black Bears fishing on that creek however not together. The Browns are down lower normally and the Blacks up higher however I have seen Brown Bears at the top as well.

The Pink Salmon run lasts quite late so Bears will be there looking for an easy meal. Your Browns (Ursus arctos) and your Grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis) are essentially the same Bear however viewing the former takes a bit more money than a Yellowstone Grizzly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The above image is your Alaska Brown Bear.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The above image is a September Yellowstone Grizzly taken at Mary's Bay east of Fishing Bridge. Lots of luck and being at the right place at the right time is needed to nab a Yellowstone Grizzly. I know people now have radios on a "Yellowstone frequency" which helps a lot as does a website you can subscribe to that lists happenings for anything juicy.

There is lots of good information in this thread above. I learn lots from these postings.

sponsored links

9,206 views & 7 likes for this thread
Grizzly Bears!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.