Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 02 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 17:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Holiday of a lifetime

jemann
166 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Reading, United Kingdom
Feb 02, 2017 17:30 |  #1

Hello forum.

My wife and I are going on a once in a lifetime holiday to New Zealand for our honeymoon in just over a week's time. We're going to spend most of the time driving around the south island visiting many beautiful locations, including Mount Cook and the dark sky reserve, and Milford Sound.

Being a one time opportunity, I want to make a good photographic record of our trip, so I'm thinking of taking some of my camera gear with me. The problem is, I haven't had much time for photography for a few years now and I'm a bit rusty on the know-how. There's also the luggage limits to take into account. So I'm here for some advice on what to take.

I have 5Dii and 7D bodies, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L zooms, and some non-L primes: 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8. I expect a large amount of the photos I will take will be landscapes, and I hope to get some shots of the southern night sky from the dark sky reserve. I can't say I'm particularly competent at wildlife photography, but if the opportunity presents itself I'll give it a try.

With all this in mind, I'm thinking of taking the 5D body with the 17-40L for landscapes and skies, 100-400L for wildlife and the 50/1.8 for general shooting when wandering around towns etc. I'm going to buy a Manfrotto PIXI mini tripod for the sky shots, and take my cable shutter release as well.

Does this seem like a sensible approach? What might people do differently?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JM

7D, 100-400L, 5D2, 17-40L, 24-105L

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,014 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 02, 2017 19:09 |  #2

Be sure to get over to the western (Tasman Sea) coast of South Island, which is a UNESCO World Heritage area, and goes past the locations of the Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

In view of carryon weight limitations very actively and firmly enforced by Air New Zealand, I suggest you leave the 100-400mm at home, and leave one body home, too. The 24-105 on the 5DII will do a lot for you. If you have a teleconvertor to add to your long end with little added weight, bring it.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 03, 2017 15:17 |  #3

I'd fully enjoy the honeymoon and just take a little point and shoot along.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,297 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 03, 2017 17:28 |  #4

You'll have the photographic trip of a lifetime. Your wife will have a week of watching you fiddle with cameras, tripods, lenses and such. Take a P&S. Enjoy your wife and your honeymoon. The camera will still be there when you get home.

I've been with the same woman for 31 years. It never occurred to me, not even once, that I should have taken more camera gear on my honeymoon. If I remember correctly, we were not lacking for ideas about how to pass the time.

Tom

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Post has been edited 8 months ago by RhodyPhotos.
Feb 04, 2017 22:57 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18263964 (external link)
You'll have the photographic trip of a lifetime. Your wife will have a week of watching you fiddle with cameras, tripods, lenses and such. Take a P&S. Enjoy your wife and your honeymoon. The camera will still be there when you get home.

I've been with the same woman for 31 years. It never occurred to me, not even once, that I should have taken more camera gear on my honeymoon. If I remember correctly, we were not lacking for ideas about how to pass the time.

+1

You will have opportunities to visit lots and lots of places in the future including NZ, but the true once in a lifetime will be the honeymoon. 'Focus' on just that or else you will never hear the end of it for the rest of your life :-)

A P&S in her hands would be the best case scenario.

Edit: better yet, buy a nice P&S as a honeymoon present for her - to capture and preserve memories of 'us' on 'our trip of a lifetime'

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 05, 2017 07:45 |  #6

Well, if they already have a current model smartphone do they really need a point-n-shoot?

Ask your bride whether she thinks you should bring your dslr or a point-n-shoot or simply have a smartphone on-hand. Go with the flow.

My personal opinion on dslr would be the 5Dii, 24-105, and something faster ,maybe the 50/1.4 or the 28/1.8. The grandeur is incredible. If you take a tour boat at Milford Sound the large boat will be dwarfed by the mountains and waterfalls...very humbling.

Ya'll will *LOVE* the south island. Beautiful, remote, wild country!!! Take the jump at Skipper's Canyon (Pipeline) or the newer "Gondola"...that will pump you up big time and give you a look at some nice scenery!!!! ;)

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

windpig
Chopped liver
14,552 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Feb 05, 2017 10:22 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18263964 (external link)

I'm with you totally on this except I'd go with a Fuji body and a couple of lenses. Small with awesome IQ.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

alan_potter
wireless groping system
Joined May 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Feb 05, 2017 12:23 |  #8

I tried going on holiday last year with just the Canon G7X. Sure, there were a couple of occasions where I missed a longer zoom, or better focusing, or better low-light quality. But hey, ISO 1600 is perfectly acceptable from this wee camera.

Another holiday last year I took the 5Dii, 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200mm. I spent more bloody time changing lenses and faffing about than I did enjoying the holiday.

In all honesty, I might think about the G7X, the G3X or perhaps a modern crop SLR with an 18-135mm type of lens. In thirty years time I suspect you're not going to look at the pictures and criticise the noise levels at 100%, or get hung up on the quality of the bokeh...

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blogexternal link | flickrexternal link

daleg
Joined Aug 2013
Maryland, USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by daleg.
Feb 05, 2017 12:39 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #9

I'll second Wilt's suggestion - & comments by others.

KISS principle. keep it simple... esp. on your honeymoon.

if you're real rusty or maybe too tired to fiddle with a camera, dial in the "green box mode" (program) on your 5DII, shoot your images, and conserve your energy and attentions.

the 24-105 will provide nice flexibility without being a huge burden.

just a thought.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 05, 2017 13:32 |  #10

i'll never understand people that don't think it's possible to take a DSLR, and still enjoy a vacation...

i'd just keep it to a 5DII 17-40L, 24-105L, and a prime of your choice...small enough to fit in a messenger bag so it can be your personal item on a flight

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Feb 05, 2017 14:01 |  #11

Take the 5D2 + 24-105... and a small tripod.

Enjoy the company of your spouse... that is what's important.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,014 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 05, 2017 14:14 |  #12

DreDaze wrote in post #18265413 (external link)
i'll never understand people that don't think it's possible to take a DSLR, and still enjoy a vacation...

I know some folks who can make a trip pretty much intolerable with a smartphone or a P&S; a dSLR simply makes it more obvious.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jemann
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Reading, United Kingdom
Feb 05, 2017 15:42 |  #13

Thanks all for your comments.

We have just bought ourselves an Olympus Tough! TG-4 for using most of the time, as we enjoy outdoors activities on and off the water, but we just felt that the amazing mountain scenery and the dark skies near Lake Tekapo are worth getting really good images of. I don't intend to be fiddling with the dSLR all of the time but if I can get a few nice shots of New Zealand's beauty, they could end up being printed large and framed to decorate our house. Nice memories to have.

7D, 100-400L, 5D2, 17-40L, 24-105L

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Feb 05, 2017 18:27 |  #14

DreDaze wrote in post #18265413 (external link)

Vacation? Sure. My response came from personal honeymoon memories. The location was scenic and, in later years, we got some good shots, but nothing to compare with honeymoon memories.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 05, 2017 19:30 |  #15

jemann wrote in post #18265498 (external link)
Thanks all for your comments.

We have just bought ourselves an Olympus Tough! TG-4 for using most of the time, as we enjoy outdoors activities on and off the water, but we just felt that the amazing mountain scenery and the dark skies near Lake Tekapo are worth getting really good images of. I don't intend to be fiddling with the dSLR all of the time but if I can get a few nice shots of New Zealand's beauty, they could end up being printed large and framed to decorate our house. Nice memories to have.

JM, you've got a nice, *very* portable camera in that TG-4....16mp...nice zoom, can shoot RAW, waterproof, etc.,. You could probably make some nice prints from it. If you and your bride are both game for carrying the dslr, then go for it...but don't let it get in the way of burning the scenery into your memories. :)

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,939 views & 10 likes for this thread
Holiday of a lifetime
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.