Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 30 Aug 2015 (Sunday) 13:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 150-600 C Firmware Update Issue

pigpile34
Joined Oct 2015
Jun 28, 2016 10:51 |  #31

Choderboy wrote in post #18052078 (external link)
Have you tried the TC-1401 on any of your canon lenses?
70-200 II or 100-400 II?

I have not. I assume it will be not good. I'll give it a try though. Stay tuned.

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Jun 29, 2016 05:12 |  #32

pigpile34 wrote in post #18052293 (external link)
I have not. I assume it will be not good. I'll give it a try though. Stay tuned.

Cheers. Quite curious about that.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

pigpile34
Joined Oct 2015
Jul 02, 2016 13:47 |  #33

Choderboy wrote in post #18053045 (external link)
Cheers. Quite curious about that.

I put the TC-1401 on the Canon 100-400 L II and it does have autofocus. Works ok from my limiting testing. My intention in all this is moon shots, so when I get back from travel, will test that out.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,898 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jan 31, 2017 10:58 |  #34

pigpile34 wrote in post #18056077 (external link)
I put the TC-1401 on the Canon 100-400 L II and it does have autofocus. Works ok from my limiting testing. My intention in all this is moon shots, so when I get back from travel, will test that out.

To get the best moon shots, MF is better, especially using the Live View, zoomed at 5x or even 10x. I never trust AF, I always seem to do better via MF to get the crater detail. Just a personal thing though perhaps.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Feb 04, 2017 07:14 |  #35

After reading that some people had success with it I picked up a Kenko Teleplus 1.4x TC to use with my Sigma 150-600mm C on my Canon 7D2. Screwed the TC onto the lens then the whole thing onto the camera, and since it was already dark just tried it out inside. In Live View it seems to AF properly, but using the OVF I am getting intermittent Error 101 (communication between lens and camera failed). Any suggestions to get it working properly? Does it not work with OS on, or maybe custom OS/focus settings? Or should I try cleaning the Kenko contacts?

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Feb 06, 2017 11:07 |  #36

After more extensive testing the Kenko Teleplus 1.4x TC doesn't seem to work with my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens on my 7D2 using the optical viewfinder, although it does work in Live View. I tried with and without OS, with and without custom OS and focus priority functions, however no matter what I do when I hit the button to initiate focus I get an Error 01 - communication between camera and lens is faulty.

Tried the TC out with my Canon 75-300mm junk lens and it works fine, so seems to just be incompatible with the Sigma 150-600. Unfortunate but not unexpected, guess I'll have to shell out for the TC-1401 if I want to extend the reach of my favorite lens.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,898 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Feb 06, 2017 12:19 |  #37

This is a new Kenko TC isn't it? Something has happened with the DGX line. These newer TCs are causing various issues on newer bodies and lenses. I have seen the DGX MC4 cause my cameras to lock up using the Sigma 150-600, and 2 stop overexposure on other lenses. Seems to work on older bodies and lenses. The 2 stop overexposure is very odd. Even in manual mode, the light meter reads dead center once I get the settings laid out, but the shot is 2 stops overexposed when it takes it. There is something odd going on with these newer Kenko TCs. I still have my old DG 300 TC from Kenko, and it works with everything.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Feb 06, 2017 12:49 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #38

Sorry, the model I'm referring to is the "Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DGX 1.4x AF Teleconverter for Canon EOS Cameras".

-Joe

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,898 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 06, 2017 13:43 |  #39

That is one of the new ones. They have come out with 2 or 3 different DGX ones now. I think they don't know what the issue is and keep creating new versions.

There has to be something wrong with these newer 3rd party TCs when the camera exposes to 18% gray, or you chase the meter in M, but the results are 2 stops over exposed (for the 2x). The TC is reporting itself, because my f2.8 lens goes to f5.6, but the exposure after capture is 2 stops to the right. I have seen this with the newer Kenkos as well as the YongNuo Canon 2x III replica.

Once again, my really old Kenko 1.4x and 2x both work with all the newest bodies and lenses, without incident. It has to be a TC issue.

sponsored links

9,918 views & 1 like for this thread
Sigma 150-600 C Firmware Update Issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.