Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 21 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 21:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

DIY off camera flash support/bracket

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by nardes. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 21, 2017 21:55 |  #1

When walking in a rain forest last week, I struggled to get the flash off-camera; boulders, trees and branches were used with my camera strap lashing the flash (awkwardly) to whatever came to hand.:-)

Back home, in my shed, using an 3 1/2 inch long off-cut of 1 inch aluminium angle and a couple of camping straps, I came up with this lightweight solution. I decided to use 2 straps so I could join them together for trees with a wide girth or use them singly on lesser trees.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 21, 2017 22:28 |  #2

Brilliant! What was your thought on why to offset the cold shoe rather than centering it on the bracket? My instinct would have been to center it.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Post has been edited 10 months ago by nardes.
Jan 21, 2017 22:48 |  #3

-Duck- wrote in post #18251931 (external link)
Brilliant! What was your thought on why to offset the cold shoe rather than centering it on the bracket? My instinct would have been to center it.

Thanks!

The only random thought I had is that by having the cold shoe at the end, I could place the alu-angle on the tree with the cold shoe either at the top or bottom, although I didn’t have a justification why that might be important.

Other minor considerations were that I wanted the slot area to be clear of any fastenings and I wanted to file down a flat on the apex of the “V” for the cold shoe to rest on.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 21, 2017 22:54 |  #4

Now that you showed the interior I understand your logic. I share the same thought about filing the apex some, but I probably would have used a countersunk screw for a lower profile (and centered). But that's me as I am partial to symmetry.

Anyhow, I really have no use for a gadget like this but I like making stuff so I'll probably end up making one as I have a small length of angle kicking around and I have a small collection of cold shoes from another project.

Thanks for sharing.

Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Jan 21, 2017 23:20 |  #5

-Duck- wrote in post #18251958 (external link)
Now that you showed the interior I understand your logic. I share the same thought about filing the apex some, but I probably would have used a countersunk screw for a lower profile (and centered). But that's me as I am partial to symmetry.

Anyhow, I really have no use for a gadget like this but I like making stuff so I'll probably end up making one as I have a small length of angle kicking around and I have a small collection of cold shoes from another project.

Thanks for sharing.

Great - post yours when you have finished, I like to see the DIY efforts of others; there is always something to learn from the implementations of other enthusiasts.:-)

It would have been nice to have access to a lathe to cut the slots, but instead I drilled several holes and then used a file to obtain the slot.

Cheers

Dennis

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 21, 2017 23:40 |  #6

nardes wrote in post #18251971 (external link)
Great - post yours when you have finished, I like to see the DIY efforts of others; there is always something to learn from the implementations of other enthusiasts.:-)

It would have been nice to have access to a lathe to cut the slots, but instead I drilled several holes and then used a file to obtain the slot.

Cheers

Dennis

Yep, I'll probably do the same as I have mostly woodworking tools.

bigVinnie
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Roaming the USA
Feb 06, 2017 10:41 |  #7

I ran across a similar idea a while back.

http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net ...runk-beam-pole-or-branch/ (external link)

Little bit more complex. I keep intending to get a friend to make a couple of the dog bones for me but haven't yet.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Feb 06, 2017 10:52 |  #8

This is awesome! I have tones of those straps laying around, I'll have to give this a go. Did your angled aluminum already have the cutout in it or did you make them yourself? If you did the cutout what was your method?

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Feb 06, 2017 14:14 |  #9

bigVinnie wrote in post #18266054 (external link)
I ran across a similar idea a while back.

http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net ...runk-beam-pole-or-branch/ (external link)

Little bit more complex. I keep intending to get a friend to make a couple of the dog bones for me but haven't yet.

Thanks for that Link, the “dog bone” looks like a strong component and you can then also mount a cold shoe clamp to it.

Cheers

Dennis

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Feb 06, 2017 14:24 |  #10

solepatch wrote in post #18266061 (external link)
This is awesome! I have tones of those straps laying around, I'll have to give this a go. Did your angled aluminum already have the cutout in it or did you make them yourself? If you did the cutout what was your method?

I drilled a series of ¼” holes in a line and then used a flat metal file to file down the waste and make the slot. I also rounded all the edges (file & emery paper) to remove any sharp bits so that they did not damage the strap.

Cheers

Dennis

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 06, 2017 14:51 |  #11

Nice job nardes!!!!! This is a fine example of a KISS project!!! Basic tools and design.

www.beeweather.comexternal link

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012
Lexington Ky
Feb 06, 2017 15:11 |  #12

nardes wrote in post #18266264 (external link)
I drilled a series of ¼” holes in a line and then used a flat metal file to file down the waste and make the slot. I also rounded all the edges (file & emery paper) to remove any sharp bits so that they did not damage the strap.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, that is kind of what I was imagining.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 10 months ago by T.D..
Feb 06, 2017 21:51 |  #13

I was shopping at Home Depot for some stuff and I came across this item and immediately thought of this project.

Simpson Strong Tie, mod# GA2 (external link)
http://www.homedepot.c​om ...4bb-5e2bb6f11915_1000.jpg (external link)

If you turn it on its edges it has a flat section in the center for the cold shoe. It's made from galvanized steel so it will require some work to make the slots. Aluminum is easier but this thing comes almost ready made for this DIY mod.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2012
Riverside,California
Post has been edited 10 months ago by maverick75.
Feb 06, 2017 22:11 |  #14

I've been using bungee cords for years, may not be the prettiest looking thing but it works.

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com ...ing-101-ball-bungees.html (external link)

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Feb 08, 2017 16:57 |  #15

I found an adjustable flash bracket in my bits and pieces box, so decided to fabricate Model #2 of my flash mounting accessory.:-)

Improvements:

Aluminium angle bracket can be now fixed to e.g. a tree more firmly using the upper and lower slots.
The OEM flash bracket is adjustable.
The OEM flash bracket has a small retaining screw in the cold shoe, so that the Canon Speedlite is less likely to slip through. However, the weather sealing gasket on my Canon Speedlites also act as a physical stop to prevent the flash from sliding all the way through if the locking screw is not tightened adequately.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,834 views & 10 likes for this thread
DIY off camera flash support/bracket
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.