Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 11 Mar 2013 (Monday) 23:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Duplicate File HELL in 2013

tobotech
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009
UCLA
Mar 11, 2013 23:57 |  #1

way too many photos (well over 100,000) stored in an unorganized mess-
many are dupes- too many to confirm each dupe being deleted.
I REALLY DON'T WANT THE SOFTWARE DELETING NON-DUPES!!!

Complications:
I often shoot raw+jpg, but sometimes just jpg. I want to keep raw+jpg if I have both.
I'm guessing I have about 40k-50k original photos.
Dupes are across different drives on 1 pc
Many times DIFFERENT shots share exact the same file-name.
Many times I shoot lots of exposures that vary a just little (think HDR)
pc is quad core with 16gb ram, so no slouch

I did get lightroom4 for birthday (not installed yet), and have installed not used picasa, in case either of those can do this. If not, what (prefer freeware) software can I use to either scan my drives and delete the dupes
or copy jpg, or raw+jpg of each to amy NEW 3tb usb3.0 drive I bought.
(I also have dupe mp3s, and dupe "My Documents" but that's just a side thought)

thank you sooo much for helping me with this painful task. I just want to do ANYTHING BESIDES DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM. But it's out of hand and MUST be handled.

XT, T1i / 11-16, 17-55IS, 50 1.8, 55-250IS, Bigma OS / 580EX ii / Gitzo M3551 Monopod, 234 Tilt head / Lowepro AW Primus+Compuprimus / Hakuba 6240 tripod, Benro Travel Angel, PhotoClam PC-36N

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 12, 2013 00:37 |  #2

Hmm, when you say "I just want to do ANYTHING BESIDES DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM" well, umm...

You will have to get into your system and choose what you want/need to delete, especially jpegs that are duplicates of Raw files...

Then, you can import original files into Lightroom,,,

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
Mar 12, 2013 00:59 |  #3

Lightroom is your friend. Get it installed. Import your image files and let LR sort them for you. By using the sort by capture time feature, you can quickly find dupes, RAW + jpeg pairs....anything that doesn't have the EXIF stripped. LR also makes it very simple to review images and determine those that are out of focus, grossly over/under-exposed and otherwise useless. You can either flag or color tag the unwanted files....making deletion a breeze.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
Mar 12, 2013 05:33 |  #4

Sounds like its a problem made worse because you did not think through the management issue right at the start.

Bite the bullet and start sorting it out. Do it yourself, don't rely on idiotic software solutions. Yes it will take time but so be it. I'd stop shooting RAW and JPEG if I were you, that just complicates everything, stay with RAW and create JPEGs as needed.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

tobotech
THREAD ­ STARTER
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009
UCLA
Mar 28, 2013 01:15 |  #5

ok. thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I really need to implement an organization system to prevent this from happening in the future.

I re-discovered why I have such a hard time going through these. Me and my GF of 10 years broke up a few months ago, and, well, most the pics have her in them. It's just really painful for me to look at them.

XT, T1i / 11-16, 17-55IS, 50 1.8, 55-250IS, Bigma OS / 580EX ii / Gitzo M3551 Monopod, 234 Tilt head / Lowepro AW Primus+Compuprimus / Hakuba 6240 tripod, Benro Travel Angel, PhotoClam PC-36N

Jarhed27
556 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Bluegrass
Mar 28, 2013 07:04 |  #6

Get an external hard drive, shoot EVERYTHING over to it. Pull pics back to your pc as needed. Like you, I haven't embraced the organizational features of LR, so I don't have any suggestions for stopping this in the future either. Good luck.

Canon 60D, Gripped, a bunch of consumer glass, and a really cheap tripod.....
Flickrexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Mar 28, 2013 07:23 |  #7

Jarhed27 wrote in post #15764541external link
Get an external hard drive, shoot EVERYTHING over to it. Pull pics back to your pc as needed. Like you, I haven't embraced the organizational features of LR, so I don't have any suggestions for stopping this in the future either. Good luck.

This is what I would do. Dump everything in one fresh external location to serve as a junk drawer, and then pull stuff back little by little.

Think of it like cleaning the house. Is it easier when you're making the move from one house to another, or after you're all settled in? ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

graydragon1
54 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Mar 28, 2013 08:22 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #8

Get the largest external drive you can afford. Move everything to it. Install Light Room. Get organized. Make yourself stay organized. Don't keep putting it off; it will only get worse. Trust me. I am on day mumble, mumble, cough of playing catch-up after a couple of months of shows.

If you aren't making mistakes, you're not trying.
www.graydragonphotogra​phy.comexternal link
Gray Dragon Photography on facebookexternal link

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Huntersville, NC
Mar 28, 2013 08:41 |  #9

agree with the masses, get Lightroom and learn to use it. You can sort and catalog 10K photos in a weekend if you give it the proper attention.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

mdaddyrabbit
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
North Carolina
Mar 28, 2013 09:39 |  #10

This will find your duplicates. http://www.bigbangente​rprises.de/en/doubleki​ller/external link

Websiteexternal link

CANON

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Feb 07, 2017 05:03 |  #11

You need to delete the duplicate files now! You can use this https://duplicatefiles​deleter.com/ (external link) for deleting duplicate files.

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Intheswamp.
Feb 07, 2017 06:13 |  #12

frankjackson1982 wrote in post #18266699 (external link)
Try Duplicate Files Deleter as it can remove any problems that you might have.

shumicse wrote in post #18266704 (external link)
You need to delete the duplicate files now! You can use this https://duplicatefiles​deleter.com/ (external link) for deleting duplicate files.

And now, four years later, the bittersweet memory of his old girlfriend raises its duplicate head....

www.beeweather.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,623 views & 4 likes for this thread
Duplicate File HELL in 2013
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.