Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 11 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 11:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Corperate head shots adivce

mooshu
78 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Toronto
Jan 11, 2017 11:27 |  #1

Hey everyone!, I've been mostly doing wedding photography and dipped into more business portraits/Headshots.
Problem is, I don't even know what to start charging big corporation, and what kind of release to have for them.

This company wants about 100 headshots done for the employees and some creative ones for the executives.
Is there some kind of standard rate for headshot photography for companies?

I hope to hear from any experienced people in the industry
Thanks!

7D2 l 6D l 5DM3 l Canon 100 Macro l Canon 16-35 F4L l Canon 70-200 2.8 II l Canon 24-70 IIl S35 1.4 |Canon 85 1.2 II | l

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 11, 2017 12:12 |  #2

FWIW, these are my rates (external link). Do bear in mind that the cost of living (and the famous COB as a result) is higher in Toronto than it is in the Queen City, so adjust your rates accordingly.

I prefer 'volume discount' mechanics because once the client and you have agreed on a look, all you have to do is pop away, assembly-line-mechanics-like, with only minor adjustments to your lights' output to increase the ratios—no need to heavily modify the setup.

For the executives, it seems that you're doing creative portraiture in addition to headshots, so I'd price those separately, which makes sense.

As for releases, I normally go with a non-exclusive, perpetual licensing scheme, which is already included in the price—I might just add a 'licensing fee' to the invoice with a token amount.

One more thing, I don't do heavy retouching. If major retouching is gonna be done, your prices will go up accordingly.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mooshu
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Toronto
Jan 11, 2017 15:03 |  #3

Thank you so much Alveric for such the fast response and the very informative post!
Its great to know that there are other photographers out, there that are willing to help another one out, instead of deceiving one to the wrong direction :)
I appreciate your help.

Do you think this is a sufficient release?

http://www.capic.org ...en-2--Model-Agreement.pdf (external link)

7D2 l 6D l 5DM3 l Canon 100 Macro l Canon 16-35 F4L l Canon 70-200 2.8 II l Canon 24-70 IIl S35 1.4 |Canon 85 1.2 II | l

Joborskie
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2017
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by Joborskie. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2017 15:12 as a reply to mooshu's post |  #4

You are not liable for obtaining a Release, since you're being hired by a corporation to photograph its own employees. The company's legal team is responsible for obtaining a necessary Release from these employees and executives, if such consent is not already part of their work contracts, which it should be these days. Any future issue would be handled internally if one should arise, and would not reflect upon a photographer hired to come in and perform this duty for the corporation. And even so, this boilerplate 'Talent' Release would not be a proper Release form for the purpose at hand.
And BTW, you as copyright holder will have the right to use the images for self-promotion only (assuming you don't sign away your ownership or that 'self-promo' right to the corporation via contract). In almost any professional scenario, you should not attempt to obtain the right to re-sell images of employees you've been hired to photograph. That is not what the corporation (or those employees) expect from a professional photographer.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 10 months ago by airfrogusmc. 4 edits done in total.
Jan 14, 2017 13:18 |  #5

I only do corporate work on location and I would think 100 people would take at least 3 full days and another day and a half of editing at least. If they do not want hair and make up I would charge $2,000 a day for shooting + $75 per hour post production at 12 hours would be another $900 + another $1000 for 100 images and one time print usage that would also include web usage + any travel expenses if there is any and parking etc. So it would be a min of at least $7,900 but could go up depending on extra expenses.

The actual shooting time is only 6 hours per day because I always figure in 1 hour set up and 1 hour break down. Anything over 8 hours a day is $250 per hour and also there may be other expenses that are all paid for by the client. The post production may also increase depending on how much art work is required on each portrait. My quote is for very basic converting from raw, basic color balance and some minor retouching.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 15, 2017 00:06 |  #6

Joborskie wrote in post #18241243 (external link)
And BTW, you as copyright holder will have the right to use the images for self-promotion only (assuming you don't sign away your ownership or that 'self-promo' right to the corporation via contract). ..

I don't think this is correct. Copyright does not automatically grant you a model release to use someones likeness to promote your business.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 16, 2017 12:29 |  #7

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18244744 (external link)
I don't think this is correct. Copyright does not automatically grant you a model release to use someones likeness to promote your business.

Agreed. Specifics will vary by state, but it depends on how the images are used.

Using them to explicitly advertise your own business, as in a flyer or print ad, is almost certainly a violation of the model's Right to Privacy.
Putting them in a professional portfolio is more of a gray area.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,529 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Feb 08, 2017 09:25 |  #8

nathancarter wrote in post #18246172 (external link)
Agreed. Specifics will vary by state, but it depends on how the images are used.

Using them to explicitly advertise your own business, as in a flyer or print ad, is almost certainly a violation of the model's Right to Privacy.
Putting them in a professional portfolio is more of a gray area.

In the US, New York and Illinois law gives photographers explicit permission to use images in portfolios and studio displays without the subject's permission, but the fact that it's explicit in the laws of those two states only underlines that it's a gray issue elsewhere.

Those laws also predate the concept of Internet portfolios; they were written when a "portfolio" was a hardcopy book that could have only limited physical distribution. The law is what the law is until it's changed, but I wonder if such laws, re-written for today, would include permission that included Internet portfolios without a release.

sponsored links

1,278 views & 6 likes for this thread
Corperate head shots adivce
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.