Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk
Thread started 09 Dec 2016 (Friday) 11:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Stock photo price

TacCPhotography
491 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 09, 2016 11:02 |  #1

Hi all, so I had a French Publishing house reach out to me recently having found one of my photos on the internet. They want to use my photo for their educational textbook that would have a print run of 50,000 plus 4,400 digital downloads.
The image will appear once in the book at a size of 1/8th of the page. I used a stock photo calculator with those settings and came up with $412, but I just wanted to check with all of you to see what you thought on what I should charge?
Thanks!

-Tac
6D, Rebel T3, 28-135 3.5-5.6, 70-200 2.8L, 430 EXII
Website- http://taccphotos.comexternal link
FB page- https://www.facebook.c​om/TacCPhotography1external link

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Dec 09, 2016 12:17 |  #2

My daughter works for a major US textbook publisher and among the things she has done is sourcing materials for books and digital products.

She says that for what you described they would pay Getty or a similar stock site $90 to $120. If they could not find a suitable photo there and they really needed something from someone like you or me they would pay between $250 and $500. All these prices are for a single run. If they print later editions they would pay again if they continued to use the photo.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

TacCPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
491 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 09, 2016 12:22 as a reply to bpalermini's post |  #3

That is a huge help, thanks very much!

-Tac
6D, Rebel T3, 28-135 3.5-5.6, 70-200 2.8L, 430 EXII
Website- http://taccphotos.comexternal link
FB page- https://www.facebook.c​om/TacCPhotography1external link

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Feb 08, 2017 21:18 |  #4

Implicit in Bob's post is that you need to have a usage license agreement that makes it clear what usage is acceptable (single print run of 50,000 plus 4,400 digital downloads) and that additional usage will be negotiated when/if necessary.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

988 views & 2 likes for this thread
Stock photo price
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Fashion, Editorial & Commercial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.