Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 08 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 18:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fast SD Card that won't break the bank?

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Feb 08, 2017 18:17 |  #1

I still am shooting happily with my beast 1D Mark III but I am thinking of going to either a 5D MkIV or maybe even the Sony Mirrorless route soon, any recommendations for a fast SD card for video on those with a card that is also affordable? Preferably 64GB?

Also, does anybody know if a 1D Mark III can use a 64GB SD card? Currently I am using 32GB's without any problems.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
SunnyValentine
28 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Pattaya, Thailand
Feb 08, 2017 22:56 |  #2

If you consider the 5DMkIV I would steer clear of SD cards, if writing speed is of concern. The SD interface is seriously crippled and I doubt that 4K Video will be possible at all. Maybe an SD as a backup or for JPG files, but your main card needs to be CF! I suggest to invest in a reputed brand like Lexar, SanDisk or Transcend. Go for the fastest CF card you can afford, like 1066x on Lexar.
I don't know enough about the Sony Cameras to make any recommendations here.

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,715 posts
Joined May 2007
Feb 08, 2017 23:32 |  #3

SunnyValentine wrote in post #18268393 (external link)
If you consider the 5DMkIV I would steer clear of SD cards, if writing speed is of concern. The SD interface is seriously crippled and I doubt that 4K Video will be possible at all. Maybe an SD as a backup or for JPG files, but your main card needs to be CF! I suggest to invest in a reputed brand like Lexar, SanDisk or Transcend. Go for the fastest CF card you can afford, like 1066x on Lexar.
I don't know enough about the Sony Cameras to make any recommendations here.

Incorrect information. 5D4's SD interface is UHS-I, which has max speed of 104MB/s. It is not UHS-II, but it is not crippled at all like 5D3.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Lyndön.
Feb 09, 2017 05:14 |  #4

http://www.cameramemor​yspeed.com ...iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/ (external link)

There's tons of info here on the performance of different cards/sizes/brands in the 5D IV, along with pricing. They have info on a couple of Sony models too.
This info is only for card writing performance when shooting various setting of photos though, nothing really there about video... although I'd think a card that performs well with photos should be similar with video.

GEAR LIST

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 9 months ago by John from PA.
Feb 09, 2017 10:09 |  #5

Lyndön wrote in post #18268533 (external link)
This info is only for card writing performance when shooting various setting of photos though, nothing really there about video... although I'd think a card that performs well with photos should be similar with video.

The site http://alikgriffin.com ...for-the-canon-5d-mark-iv/ (external link) does include 4K video in its card testing results.

I don't know the specs of the 5DMkIV but there an interesting comment about their testing. I assume the 5DMkIV still has the 29 minute ++ limitation on video length. If so you chew up most of a 128 GB card in that 29 minutes!

4k Video Record Time: 16 minutes per 64GB card

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Post has been edited 9 months ago by drisley.
Feb 10, 2017 22:15 |  #6

Thank you guys. The main reason I'm looking at SD right now is because I can use it in my 1D, and eventually either the 5D or Sony cams depending which I get.
I see that the 5D can use microSD, is that with an adapter?

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Feb 11, 2017 02:07 |  #7

Yep, it would have to be with some sort of transflash adapter - which is basically an SD card with a slot in the back for a microSD. I have a few of them that came with my GoPro microSD cards to allow them to be used in SD slots. You can also get them to convert SD to CF, if you have a need for that.
I've never used one in my EOS cameras though, and I have no idea if there's a significant speed decrease when using an adapter.

GEAR LIST

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Feb 11, 2017 02:11 |  #8

Oh, and from your original question about what size card the 1D3 can take... looks like whatever you want to throw in it according to this thread http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=852672

GEAR LIST

SunnyValentine
28 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Pattaya, Thailand
Feb 13, 2017 11:31 |  #9

eelnoraa wrote in post #18268411 (external link)
Incorrect information. 5D4's SD interface is UHS-I, which has max speed of 104MB/s. It is not UHS-II, but it is not crippled at all like 5D3.

I stand corrected, and rephrase:
The 5DMkIV's SD Interface is less crippled than the one of the MkIII, while still not delivering the performance that is technically possible and available in several other Cameras of the same generation.
I strongly suggest to look into CF cards instead, if 4K Video and fast bursts in photography is of importance to you!

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Feb 14, 2017 19:32 as a reply to Lyndön's post |  #10

Thank you!

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 21, 2017 19:05 |  #11

Here is a question guys.

I just bought the 5DIV (oh my poor credit card) and I have an Lexar 128GB 1066x CF card on the way, apparently one of the best/fastest cards you can get.
From what I've been learning, the 5D will not support video over 4GB in size as it is Fat32, but if you get cards over 128GB it will change to exFat to support larger file sizes. Could I just format my card in my Mac as exFat and then use in the 5D?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Mar 21, 2017 20:08 |  #12

drisley wrote in post #18307376 (external link)
Here is a question guys.Could I just format my card in my Mac as exFat and then use in the 5D?

I suggest you do low level format in camera, then test at 4K if that is your desire. If the card is larger than 128 gb, it will be formatted to exFat. See http://support-th.canon-asia.com ...nts/TH/EN/820302140​0.html (external link).

Use some care with exFat. The files will not be limited to the 4 gb of FAT32. That means you computer and sssociated software has to handle exFat file sizes.

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Mar 21, 2017 22:47 |  #13

From what I read on Dpreview's forum (LINK (external link)), it works fine if you externally format your smaller cards as exFat and use them in the camera. It doesn't care about card size when it's actually writing to the card... it only makes the distinction when it's doing the formatting in-camera.

Seems like a nice way to not have a bazillion small files if you're shooting a lot of 4K.

GEAR LIST

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 21, 2017 23:18 |  #14

Thanks guys. Card is arriving Thursday. I do format my external hdd's in exFat so I can use with mac or pc and it works well.

ORP
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 24, 2017 21:14 |  #15

I bought a Sony ARII Mirrorless camera for a trip last year.
I kept all my Cannon Equipment at home and thought if it works out I'll go smaller with the Sony
I just took a big loss and traded in the Sony and lenses.
The reason was durability. I was in SE Asia and it just couldn't handle the humidity. I'd go inside an ac space then outside again. Sometimes I would wait 30 to 45 minutes for the condensation to clear.
This has never happened with my old EOS 1 D

sponsored links

2,896 views & 7 likes for this thread
Fast SD Card that won't break the bank?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.