Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 12 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 11:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beginners/Intro/Money well spent

GoDsBuTTeR
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 11:48 |  #1

Hello everyone, as the title says I am a beginner, I have been doing pretty extensive research for cameras that would meet my needs. Like every other newbie I am hoping to gain insight and advice by posting this topic.

A little about what I am looking at; I currently do not have a "I only photograph this" need, I enjoy nature, portraits, and landscapes. I am currently looking at the T5i to serve as my intro camera. I am looking at a bundle the "Canon EOS Rebel T5i and Lens Video Creator, Filters, 2 Battery, and Grip Bundle" $699.00 (beachcamera blowout deal)

Bundle includes:

EOS Rebel T5i Video Creator Kit
58mm UV, Polarizer, and FLD Deluxe Filter Kit
2 LP-E8 Replacement Battery Packs
Battery Grip
Compact Deluxe Gadget Bag
Hi-Speed SD USB 2.0 Card Reader
4 Card Memory Card Wallet
57" Full Size Tripod
6 Ft HDMI to Micro-HDMI Gold Audio/Video Cable
Professional Dust Blower
Professional Wrist Grip Strap
Neoprene SLR Strap
Micro Fiber Cloth

Creator kit includes:
EOS Rebel T5i EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Kit
RODE VideoMic GO Microphone
Sandisk 32GB SDHC Card

Camera includes:
EOS Rebel T5i Body
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Eyecup Ef
Camera Cover R-F-3
Wide Strap EW-100DBIV
Battery Charger LC-E8E
Battery Pack LP-E8
Interface Cable
EOS DIGITAL Solution Disk
Instruction Manual
Warranty Card

Lens Includes:
Lens Cap E-58II
Lens Dust Cap E
Warranty Card for Lens (US/CAN)

I would part this bundle out to fit my wifes needs (see below). She would get the Rode mic and tri-pod from the bundle listed above.

I am looking at getting a T6i for my wife, she would mainly use it for vlogging and doing makeup videos. We were initially looking at a 70D for her, but she has started looking at the T6i. We are looking at "Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera EF-S 18-55mm & 55-250mm IS Lens + 64GB Accessory Kit" $899.00 (beachcamera)

Bundle Includes:

CAMERA INCLUDES:
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Camera Body
Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens
Eyecup Ef
Camera Cover R-F-3
Wide Strap EW-300D
Battery Pack LP-E17
Battery Cover
Battery Charger LC-E17
Interface Cable IFC-130U
EOS DIGITAL Solution Disk / Software Manual

LENSES INCLUDE:
EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Lens Cap E-58II
Lens Dust Cap E
Warranty Card for Lens (US/CAN)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II (Stabilized) Telephoto Lens
Front and Rear Lens Caps
Canon 1-Year USA Warranty

BUNDLE INCLUDES:
64GB Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card
Canon EOS DSLR Camera and Gadget Shoulder Bag 100ES
Pro .43x Wide Angle Lens with Macro
Pro 2x Telephoto Lens Converter
58mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filter Kit (Set of 3 Carrying Case)
Bounce Zoom Slave Flash
Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
12-inch Rubberized Spider Tripod, Large (Red)
LCD/Lens Cleaning Pen
Hi-Speed SDHC Memory Card Reader
Tri-fold Memory Card Wallet
Professional Blower Camera Dust Removal System
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth

Now this bundle will also be parted out, I would take the 55-250mm Lens, Pro .43x Wide Angle Lens with Macro, and the Pro 2x Telephoto Lens Converter.

We would purchase separately a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM to be used between the two of us.

We can get all of this for just over $1,700 USD, do you guys feel this is money well spent based off our needs? I feel I have left some vital information out that might help you better analyze our selection, please ask questions if needed.

GB
Gear List

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 12, 2017 12:39 |  #2

The majority of stuff in those bundles is just junk, those converters especially...i'd look refurbished, you could get t5i w 18-55 for $480, the t6i kit would be $580...you can add the 55-250Stm, which is better tham the IS version for $240, 50mm for $100...puts you at $1400...so $300 for a tripod, and microphone...

Another thing you can look at if you want to go wide is the 10-18IS...$240 refurbished...and if there's no hurry you can wait for them to have a 10-15% off sale

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com/canon-refurb-stock-tracker/ (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 12:54 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #3

Thanks for the info, I am leery with getting refurbished items, I have a weird mental block on those lol. The only benefit I can see for the 55-200STM is just the silent motor. I am not sure we would be doing any video recording with this lens, do you still recommend going with the STM vs the IS base off the lack of video production?

GB
Gear List

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,057 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Feb 12, 2017 13:36 |  #4

Avoid those "bundles", look for body-only of body+lens kits and buy quality accessories separately.

Mark

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Feb 12, 2017 13:44 as a reply to GoDsBuTTeR's post |  #5

It's a better lens, for just a couple extra bucks...refurbished carry a 1 year warranty just like new...it seems like most refurbs that show up are indistinguishable from new...except for the lack of a box

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 12, 2017 13:50 |  #6

GoDsBuTTeR wrote in post #18271366 (external link)
Thanks for the info, I am leery with getting refurbished items, I have a weird mental block on those lol. The only benefit I can see for the 55-200STM is just the silent motor. I am not sure we would be doing any video recording with this lens, do you still recommend going with the STM vs the IS base off the lack of video production?

Buy refurbished from Dell directly and you basically get "new" warranty. I've really never heard of anyone feeling like they didn't get a good deal. Most come with all the original packing material, caps, etc.,. From time to time they run specials on the already refurbed lenses. The trick is that certain lenses are in high demand and they only get a few in inventory at a time...

My recommendation would be to check out http://www.canonpricew​atch.com/ (external link) . You can select certain items that you are interested in and they will email you when that item comes up on a special, rebate, combo, etc.,. If you use their service be sure and click their links to buy the item being as they get a small cut (it doesn't affect your price). Good guys.

Best wishes on your hunt. As for what was said about the bundle-deal above...usually not a good deal. Every now and then some of the biggies like B&H or Adorama will come out with a small bundle that is decent.

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 13:57 as a reply to Intheswamp's post |  #7

Thanks for the input Ed. Have you ever had an issue with purchasing items off the canon watch site from Ebay? I see most of the listings are from unauthorized dealers, does this have any negative factors as a consumer? I don't want to have a headache of a time like I have in the past using Ebay as a vendor. Thanks again!

GB
Gear List

Intheswamp
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2013
South Alabama
Feb 12, 2017 14:04 |  #8

I would stick with authorized Canon sellers. Why risk the headache? I don't think I've ever purchased an eBay item via CPW, though they do notify of items from there. There are a few sellers on there that I believe are good ones...hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am about that will chime in. :)

Ed

www.beeweather.comexternal link

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,057 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Feb 12, 2017 14:08 |  #9

If it was me, I'd buy from B&H or Adorama.

Mark

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 14:11 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #10

Is there some underlying reason not to buy from Beach Camera?

GB
Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,353 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Feb 12, 2017 14:37 |  #11

GoDsBuTTeR wrote in post #18271435 (external link)
Is there some underlying reason not to buy from Beach Camera?

Two of them. Beach is NOT B&H. Beach is not Adorama.

If you must buy new, buy from the two long-time, proven, trusted retailers: B&H and/or Adorama. Even better, and usually less expensive: buy from Canon Refurbished. I won't buy anything used I can get from Canon Refurbished. My first stop photo shop is Canon Refurbished. I've purchased perhaps 15 items from them, both bodies and lenses. No problems, ever.

I'd recommend going with the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM instead of the 55-250. Better IQ, faster focus, faster aperture, and OK - a lot more money. Most EF-s lenses don't come close to their EF counterparts. Though I do like my 18-55 STM better than my 17-40 on an aps-c body.

If you are going to stick with the aps-c bodies, you may as well get the best. Consider the 7D2 if you need killer AF. If you can get by with just really freakin' good AF, get the 80D.

Tom

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Feb 12, 2017 14:50 |  #12

Beach Camera on Yelp (not yet been spammed by fake positive reviews)
https://www.yelp.com/b​iz/beach-camera-green-brook (external link)

As mentioned, most of those bundles are just getting extra money from you, more profit for the vendor, and selling you crap that's worth like a .25c
The one that actually looks fine is the one with the Mic and Sandisk card, good quality stuff there, but you did not list the price that I can see.

Get a Body/Lens kit from a reputable seller. Some Ebay sellers are reputable, many are selling gray market etc.

Canon USA Refurb are going to be better covered than a lot of the Ebay sellers will. I'm not trying to push you into refurb, only pointing out that being worried about buying directly from Canon while being ready to buy from a shady bait and switch reseller is a contradiction. If refurb is out, so should the scary Brooklyn stores etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,054 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 12, 2017 14:57 |  #13

Places inflate the perceived 'value' of the package deals filling with stuff that often has little value...you might need buy, but not the questionable quality items they offered!

"BUNDLE INCLUDES: 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card
Canon EOS DSLR Camera and Gadget Shoulder Bag
100ES Pro .43x Wide Angle Lens with
Macro Pro 2x Telephoto Lens Converter

58mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filter Kit (Set of 3 Carrying Case)
Bounce Zoom Slave Flash
Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
12-inch Rubberized Spider Tripod,
Large (Red) LCD/Lens Cleaning Pen H
i-Speed SDHC Memory Card Reader
Tri-fold Memory Card Wallet
Professional Blower Camera Dust Removal System
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth"

The RED text is really questionable for value
The ORANGE text is iffy in value...it could be junk status stuff, or it could be questionable in quality
The BROWN item might sound nice, but perhaps it is something readily purchaseable for $12 here https://www.adorama.co​m ...LngjJu6i9ICFVKVfgod​ElEOyA (external link)

They make it sound like you get a lot of good stuff at a great incremental value, yet if you walked into the store and looked at each item and assessed it vs. quality products you might not even want to spend your money on that item!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 15:05 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #14

Thanks for the Yelp link. I was going off a few friends that said they had a good buying experience with Beach, after reading Yelp, I will be searching elsewhere. The mic/sandisck kit was $899, but after looking at Adorama I think we are gonna go this route. I see I can make my own bundle and add the 55-250 stm for 1/2 price. I've never purchased anything refurbished, and all I saw on the canon watch site was majority ebay sellers and as previously mentioned I want to avoid ebay at all costs. I have also looked at canon refurb site and would not be against buying refurb from them.

GB
Gear List

GoDsBuTTeR
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 12, 2017 15:07 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #15

Touché, thanks for dumbing that down. After everyone has pointed out the "wasted" items within the bundle I have changed my mind on that.

GB
Gear List

sponsored links

4,044 views & 40 likes for this thread
Beginners/Intro/Money well spent
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.