Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 12 Feb 2017 (Sunday) 09:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does photography and bag fetishes go hand in hand?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,158 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Feb 12, 2017 09:05 |  #1

I find myself having plenty of bags but I am always on the search for other bag options...

what gives?

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Feb 12, 2017 09:18 |  #2

Lol

I've seen some on here who definitely have issues. Personally I prefer individual cases for each piece of gear so I can throw them in whatever bag I am going to use that day. I use backpacks and even an old fanny/lumbar pack mostly.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,158 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Feb 12, 2017 09:33 |  #3

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18271189 (external link)
Lol

I've seen some on here who definitely have issues. Personally I prefer individual cases for each piece of gear so I can throw them in whatever bag I am going to use that day. I use backpacks and even an old fanny/lumbar pack mostly.

So your probably liking that shapeshifter bag then

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,065 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Feb 12, 2017 14:48 |  #4

There's is never that perfect bag. So far the Peak Design Everyday Backpack and Everyday Sling are my go to bags...until a new bag I like that hits the market

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Think Tank Urban Approach 5 and 10 | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,384 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Wilt.
Feb 12, 2017 15:15 |  #5

Seldom is there a 'perfect bag'...each of us has different requirements and different key benefits. And I find needs are circumstantial...depen​ding upon the circumstance I may prefer one bag over another, and the preferences are changing. In one case a conventional over-shoulder bag, in another case a backpack type bag, in another case a semihardsided rectangular case, and in other circumstances a thin courier bag.
Kinda like women and purses, the 'best' is circumstantial to the occasion and even to the outfit worn!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
On my way to Austin, Texas
Feb 12, 2017 15:16 |  #6

It's nice to have bag options, but I dedicate a de minimis amount of time to it. There's zero exhilaration in it for me.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Feb 12, 2017 15:20 |  #7

I have bags that fit whatever purpose they need to fit. The bag I use for hockey is not the one I use for travel or on-site portrait photography. I tend to find it funny when I see people show up somewhere with a bag the size of Texas and it has all their gear.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Feb 12, 2017 15:36 |  #8

Yes.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Feb 12, 2017 15:39 |  #9

Talley wrote in post #18271180 (external link)
I find myself having plenty of bags but I am always on the search for other bag options...

what gives?

Yes, just like Farmer Ted says.

All New Year, All New Sig !

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 12, 2017 16:24 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18271492 (external link)
Seldom is there a 'perfect bag'...each of us has different requirements and different key benefits. And I find needs are circumstantial...depen​ding upon the circumstance I may prefer one bag over another, and the preferences are changing. In one case a conventional over-shoulder bag, in another case a backpack type bag, in another case a semihardsided rectangular case, and in other circumstances a thin courier bag.
Kinda like women and purses, the 'best' is circumstantial to the occasion and even to the outfit worn!

LOL.......I tried that on my wife when she voiced her concerns about getting another bag...........it did not go over well.........

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Feb 14, 2017 13:25 |  #11

No. if anything I'd prefer to use the least amount possible.

Lens fetish, on the other hand...

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Feb 14, 2017 15:33 |  #12

Nu-uh, been shooting over a decade and still had the same bag I bought for my first camera, I got a shoulder bag for my mirrorless kit for my birthday but that's about it.

I think you just need to face it Talley, you're addicted to any kind of gear! ;-)a

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Feb 14, 2017 16:35 |  #13

Since I use a cart to carry around my gear, I only use one bag. I can get everything I need to bring in a Domke F-1X. That is until I find a way to buy one of the super telephoto lenses.... then I'll have to rethink things. At the moment, this doesn't seem likely.... so no bag shopping for me. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Feb 14, 2017 17:10 |  #14

It took me a while, but I now seem to have a range of bags (about 4) that cover my needs - one of them always suits whatever I need to carry for a particular occasion. I'm not ruling anything out on the new bag front, however . . .

Cheers, Damien

328iGuy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2004
Ottawa | Ontario
Feb 15, 2017 10:08 |  #15

1KIND wrote in post #18271471 (external link)
There's is never that perfect bag. So far the Peak Design Everyday Backpack and Everyday Sling are my go to bags...until a new bag I like that hits the market

I own all of Peak Design bags except the Backpack, I have F-Stop right now, and just switched from Canon to Fuji XT-2 so considering getting a smaller backpack such as the Peak Design Everyday....

Just picked up the Sling this week and love it, already had the Messenger 15, straps and all.....hooked! :)

Canon 5D3 | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

sponsored links

2,570 views & 12 likes for this thread
Does photography and bag fetishes go hand in hand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.