Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk
Thread started 03 Apr 2015 (Friday) 22:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dealing with fog at concerts?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 03, 2015 22:00 |  #1

Any tips to help deal with this and make my photos better/sharper? I was at a concert recently and we were only allowed one song. The entire song there was this weird smoke/haze/fog from the fog machine and it was hanging around head height. Lots of photos are super sharp where there is no fog but anything in the fog is soft. I do not think its my gear as I got great shots of the opening bands without this fog. What could/should I have done different? Thanks.

sponsored links
RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Apr 06, 2015 17:19 |  #2
banned

Nothing you can do much if there was too much apart from getting your photography spot on..........are you using all the focal points? If so, use a single point and try to recompose your photos

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 06, 2015 22:12 |  #3

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17507009external link
Nothing you can do much if there was too much apart from getting your photography spot on..........are you using all the focal points? If so, use a single point and try to recompose your photos

Thanks for the reply. That's what I did. I guess I just need more experience and practice.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007
London, UK
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by RichSoansPhotos.
Apr 07, 2015 06:21 |  #4
banned

I have merely dumped the ones that I really can't edit or no artistic value, I know that taste can change when you get older, but there is a limit to what you can do

It can be disappointing that you can be given only one song to photograph and it's totally ruined, but putting something up, especially when it's not your fault that they put the smoke machine on full blast during the entire set, is better than nothing. I have known that some photographers, including major agency photographers complaining about the lighting, this and that, and they still upped photos to their agency, after all, you're not to blame....just saying

Just realised, do you see my avatar? It's of a group that had their entire 3 songs in smoke, fortunately for me, I had the opportunity to shoot the entire set when they were in a festival

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,584 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Annapolis Maryland
Feb 05, 2017 17:42 |  #5

Look for the smoke machine ahead of time; to see if there is one, then prepare. Pre Focus and Lock In Focus, then the smoke won't matter. This limits composition, but is the beginning step of how to deal with it. Don't lock yourself into AF as your only choice. If lighting allows, choose smaller Apertures to increase DOF.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 50/1.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Feb 06, 2017 11:15 |  #6

the flying moose wrote in post #17503835 (external link)
Any tips to help deal with this and make my photos better/sharper? I was at a concert recently and we were only allowed one song. The entire song there was this weird smoke/haze/fog from the fog machine and it was hanging around head height. Lots of photos are super sharp where there is no fog but anything in the fog is soft. I do not think its my gear as I got great shots of the opening bands without this fog. What could/should I have done different? Thanks.

You really can't do anything about it. In post you can use clarity, white balance, highlights, dehaze (in Lightroom CC - it's not in desktop version) and other sliders to help but nothing is going to get rid of smoke in the air.

If you use spot metering switching to evaluative can help with exposure, but that doesn't get rid of smoke either.

The best advice I can give, embrace the smoke. Move around and catch it in light beams that help frame the main subject, use it as a tool in your composition.

Good luck!

Nethawked
Joined Oct 2014
Virginia, USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Nethawked.
Feb 06, 2017 11:26 |  #7

I can commiserate :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ming-Tzu
795 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 13, 2017 02:20 |  #8

I do a bunch of concert photography, some with fog and smoke machines. The reason why your pictures are soft with the smoke is probably because your camera was focusing on the fog and not the subject within the fog. As far as a solution, manual focus might work better in these conditions because tough to AF I imagine.

<insert gear here>

sponsored links

5,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dealing with fog at concerts?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.