Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 18:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Underwater Focal Lengths

supachim
53 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Kansas
Jan 06, 2017 18:23 |  #1

Has anyone shooting Full Frame shot 35mm underwater? I've been shooting 14mm underwater, and find that for a lot of subjects, it's just too darn wide. I know closer is better, and for that reason, wider is usually better; however, sometimes you just can't get close enough to some subjects. I was thinking about getting a Sigma 35mm ART lens anyway, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience shooting 35mm underwater. The other option I was looking at was 24mm. I use a Sea & Sea housing with a Zen Port glass dome, and I believe it will work with either the 35mm or 24mm lenses just fine. Any thoughts, comments?

- Chim
Canon 5D Mark III; EF 14mm f/2.8L II; EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake; EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro; EF 300mm f/4L IS

fish_shooter
Joined May 2010
Alaska
Jan 20, 2017 19:48 |  #2

supachim wrote in post #18235910 (external link)
Has anyone shooting Full Frame shot 35mm underwater? I've been shooting 14mm underwater, and find that for a lot of subjects, it's just too darn wide. I know closer is better, and for that reason, wider is usually better; however, sometimes you just can't get close enough to some subjects. I was thinking about getting a Sigma 35mm ART lens anyway, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience shooting 35mm underwater. The other option I was looking at was 24mm. I use a Sea & Sea housing with a Zen Port glass dome, and I believe it will work with either the 35mm or 24mm lenses just fine. Any thoughts, comments?

Another option is a zoom. I have been using the 16-35 f/4 IS L lens since it came out and with the Sea&Sea correction lens for just over a year. The correction lens helps a lot to focus on the curved virtual image. I am using the lens with a superdome which you pretty much have to use with a 14mm so you may already have one. I have used it just a few times at 35mm. It gets used mostly at 16mm.

http://www.salmonograp​hy.com/external link

supachim
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Kansas
Feb 14, 2017 09:09 as a reply to fish_shooter's post |  #3

Thanks, fish_shooter!

- Chim
Canon 5D Mark III; EF 14mm f/2.8L II; EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake; EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro; EF 300mm f/4L IS

1,090 views & 3 likes for this thread
Underwater Focal Lengths
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.