Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 15 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 02:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nikon D5, reviewed by CH_Devin

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND CH_Devin (showing now: CH_Devin)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality10
Value for Money10
Must Have9
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
AF Performance10
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface8
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Nikon D5

CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by CH_Devin. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 15, 2017 02:17 |  #1

The Nikon D5 is about a full second quicker in auto focus than the Canon 1D-X Mark II. Nikon's AF processor, probably, is what gives the camera its quick and speedy lock in single shot mode, not missing a moment when you see it. I guarantee that there is no mistake when addressing the quicker auto focus on the D5 versus the 1D-X Mark II.

The Nikon D5 has plenty of photo styles, just like Canon cameras. Along with the customizable settings, Nikon camera owners can properly recreate the colors recognizable to the Canon brand with a few trial and error shifts with the dials.

The Nikon D5 is not as fast in FPS as the Canon 1D-X Mark II, and even with its mirror up, it is tough to know when to stop its continuous frames when the viewfinder is pitch black. However, the D5's autofocus would allow a user to better select their moment while using an active AF on the lens, which sometimes eliminates the need for any continuous shooting in single shot mode. Yes, the camera is this good.

Nikon's RAW files in .NEF format is tough to use on MacBooks. One alternative is to use their iPhone as a bridge to import files from their cameras to their computers via Airdrop, which somehow converts files to be able to be imported into Adobe Lightroom. Windows computers do not have this problem.

Nikon's D5 button layout is similar to the Canon 1D-X's, but with a few trademark alternatives that might cause a headache for Canon users switching to Nikon after years of muscle memory.

The Nikon D5 has options for its dual card slots, which allows you to choose whether a user would like the second card to be: an identical copy of the first card, used for overflow from the first card, or different file formats of the same pictures.

The Nikon D5 has a similar feature to the Canon 5Ds series, which allows camera owners to switch its image area size between full frame, 1.2 crop, 1.5 crop, and 5:4.

The Nikon D5's noise is higher than the Canon 1D-X Mark II, but is more consistent when going up to higher ISO. The D5 can shoot at ISO 102,400 with good noise.

The Nikon D5 shows a memory card's entire capacity, and doesn't cap at 1999 on its mini screen.

The Nikon D5's video autofocus is not as good as the Canon 1D-X Mark II; neither is the quality. The tracking on the Canon 1D-X Mark II makes the 1D-X II a much better choice for a video camera.

The Nikon D5's price is $6,499. This is the best sports camera on the market, bar none, no competition, top dog, no one can catch up because the Nikon D5 has it already when no other camera does. However, if camera owners are looking for a camera for video, go for the Canon 1D-X Mark II.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

80mm ish

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Feb 22, 2017 13:18 |  #2

CH_Devin wrote in post #18274119 (external link)
...This camera can outlast each and every sports photography camera for the next hundred years. .

pic looks good for 12800 but i think this statement is a little silly and removes some credibility from your review

Peppered
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2006
Rio del Mar, CA
Jun 20, 2017 02:58 |  #3

You bring up some good points, but I question a few. I shoot pro sports for a wire service and own two D5s. I also switched from Canon last summer.

The Nikon D5 is about a full second quicker in auto focus than the Canon 1D-X Mark II. Nikon's AF processor, probably, is what gives the camera its quick and speedy lock in single shot mode, not missing a moment when you see it. I guarantee that there is no mistake when addressing the quicker auto focus on the D5 versus the 1D-X Mark II.

"A full second quicker in AF"? How is that? How did you measure that? That would make the 1DX2 a dog, and it's certainly not. I shoot alongside many 1DX2 shooters and they aren't missing shots.

The Nikon D5 has plenty of photo styles, just like Canon cameras. Along with the customizable settings, Nikon camera owners can properly recreate the colors recognizable to the Canon brand with a few trial and error shifts with the dials.

The target market for this camera shoots RAW.

The Nikon D5 is not as fast in FPS as the Canon 1D-X Mark II, and even with its mirror up, it is tough to know when to stop its continuous frames when the viewfinder is pitch black. However, the D5's autofocus would allow a user to better select their moment while using an active AF on the lens, which sometimes eliminates the need for any continuous shooting in single shot mode. Yes, the camera is this good.

What?

Nikon's RAW files in .NEF format is tough to use on MacBooks. One alternative is to use their iPhone as a bridge to import files from their cameras to their computers via Airdrop, which somehow converts files to be able to be imported into Adobe Lightroom. Windows computers do not have this problem.

I use a 2013 MacBookPro and have absolutely no issues using .NEFs. I shoot in uncompressed 14 bit and lossless compressed 14 bit with the XQD version.These fly into PhotoMechanic, and then I edit six RAW files at a time in PS CC17. Absolutely no issues at all.

The Nikon D5's noise is higher than the Canon 1D-X Mark II, but is more consistent when going up to higher ISO. The D5 can shoot at ISO 102,400 with good noise.

I strongly disagree. The noise levels are why I switched (and it cost me a lot of $$$ for this). Check out the comparison tool on DPReview. Even at ISO 400, the D5 is crisper and less noise. Going higher only widens the gap.

The Nikon D5's price is $6,499. This is the best sports camera on the market, bar none, no competition, top dog, no one can catch up because the Nikon D5 has it already when no other camera does.

Whoa... "no competition", "no one can catch up"? The 1DX2 is right up there. It has more fps and but it's 3D tracking isn't as good. If someone is deciding between the two, it's really about which lenses/system you have already invested in. Also, going by past release schedules, we should see updates from both Nikon (D5s?) and Canon that will go beyond either of these current flagship bodies.

In the last 11 months, I've invested heavily in Nikon, so of course I'm biased, but both cameras are really very close to each other, and each has a trade off.

CH_Devin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Jun 20, 2017 13:13 |  #4

Peppered wrote in post #18382490 (external link)
You bring up some good points, but I question a few. I shoot pro sports for a wire service and own two D5s. I also switched from Canon last summer.

"A full second quicker in AF"? How is that? How did you measure that? That would make the 1DX2 a dog, and it's certainly not. I shoot alongside many 1DX2 shooters and they aren't missing shots.

The target market for this camera shoots RAW.

What?

I use a 2013 MacBookPro and have absolutely no issues using .NEFs. I shoot in uncompressed 14 bit and lossless compressed 14 bit with the XQD version.These fly into PhotoMechanic, and then I edit six RAW files at a time in PS CC17. Absolutely no issues at all.

I strongly disagree. The noise levels are why I switched (and it cost me a lot of $$$ for this). Check out the comparison tool on DPReview. Even at ISO 400, the D5 is crisper and less noise. Going higher only widens the gap.

Whoa... "no competition", "no one can catch up"? The 1DX2 is right up there. It has more fps and but it's 3D tracking isn't as good. If someone is deciding between the two, it's really about which lenses/system you have already invested in. Also, going by past release schedules, we should see updates from both Nikon (D5s?) and Canon that will go beyond either of these current flagship bodies.

In the last 11 months, I've invested heavily in Nikon, so of course I'm biased, but both cameras are really very close to each other, and each has a trade off.

I'm sorry. The review was biased at the time I wrote. I did, however, test the D5 and 1D-X II side by side, and found that the AF on the D5 was faster. The lock rate was instantaneous in closer subjects, where the 1D was shifting.

For sports shooting, many professionals use JEG to improve workflow. I did think that the 1D had better JEGs out of camera.

I think, at this point, it is a wash - and either camera could be used for the same scenarios. The 1D has a more accustomed video purpose.

The 1D may have a better servo mode, but the D5 has a more accurate and fast one-shot.

I dumped both systems after using both flagships. If I had to keep one, I would have kept the D5 for the AF. Since then, I've gone to a small backup camera and am looking to go into medium format; using manual focus/slower AF.

Like you said, the photo quality on either cameras are not impressive. This review did not hold up to aging.

80mm ish

Peppered
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2006
Rio del Mar, CA
Jun 20, 2017 19:23 |  #5

CH_Devin wrote in post #18382791 (external link)
Like you said, the photo quality on either cameras are not impressive. This review did not hold up to aging.

I didn't say that, I think they're both very good. I think the D5 is better in regard to color and noise the higher the ISO goes. People used to freak out about the low ISO DR when it came out. However, I think most of them were reading the specs and not shooting. Besides, even in sunlight, I find it's rare that I'm below ISO 400, due to using really fast shutter speeds and/or overexposing by a stop or so to get faces under baseball caps or helmets better exposed.

1,642 views & 3 likes for this thread
Nikon D5, reviewed by CH_Devin
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.