Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 15 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 00:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

T5 to 5D Classic?

TomCross
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 15, 2017 00:34 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a T5 (1200D), I sometimes feel like I've pushed it to it's limits and held back by it. So I'm wanting a 5D classic to have a professional grade, full frame, great image quality camera. I'd also like to take classes and get on the right track to take photography more seriously, I don't think bringing a 1200D to class is going to get the best out of it and I feel like the 5D is a step in the right direction but I have questions...

I shoot a lot of outdoor subjects. Mainly wildlife, sky, rockets, and occasionally sports.

Would this be an upgrade or just different?

Is there shutter's available for these for when it wears out?

Would I be mistaken to spend $400 on one from a local photo and hobby shop? They don't have actuator count but can get it, they made sure it 'works' but did not check for dead pixels or clean the dust off the sensor or any other certifications...seems lazy to me.

Of course I'll be getting an L lens for it. Thinking 24-105 f4L.

Excuse tersness as people tend to read posts that are less wordy.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Feb 15, 2017 01:01 |  #2

TomCross wrote in post #18274082 (external link)

In many situations, it would be an upgrade to any "T" camera. In some situations, the "T" line would produce different, but possibly better, results. It will vary according to each situation you encounter, with regards to light, distance to subject, relevance of edge sharpness, acceptable level of grain, etc, etc, etc.

Is there shutter's available for these for when it wears out?

I think that you will be able to have a repair shop find a shutter for you without much difficulty. However, Canon will not service this camera for you, so you will have to use an independently operated shop.

Would I be mistaken to spend $400 on one from a local photo and hobby shop?

Sounds way too high to me, but I am not totally sure about that, because I have not looked at the used prices in over a year. My advice would be to get on the Fred Miranda forum and check their classifieds. They have some of the lowest prices on used gear that you will find anywhere. The sellers on FM seem to really want to sell their gear quickly, and the gear is priced accordingly.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

TomCross
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 15, 2017 05:09 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #3

Thank you for the advice. I'll check FM for sure.

Gold
43 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Feb 15, 2017 09:45 as a reply to TomCross's post |  #4

If you're shooting wildlife and sports a used 7D would be a much better option for around the same $.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Feb 15, 2017 09:52 |  #5

5Dc isn't supported by Canon anymore. 5D series aren't professional, but semi-professional. If you want to impress the class, get 1Ds series camera.
If you are taking photo classes to learn, 1200D will do absolutely all what 5Dc could do in terms of exposure and composition.
I learned photography with 500D and purchased 5Dc for landscapes and mostly for family portraits.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tyguy
Joined Sep 2014
Calgary, Canada
Feb 15, 2017 09:55 |  #6

The 5Dc is very different from your T5. Your T5 has an excellent LCD, can take video, has a better menu system, and can use affordable EF-S lenses.

The 5Dc has a better sensor. And that's about it. You'll need more expensive EF lenses, you can't rely on the LCD except for framing, and the images can be a bit dull Straight Out Of the Camera (SOOC).

I love my 5Dc though, mostly because it requires more work to use and I get to play with a full frame camera. A 7D or 70D would be much better for sports or wildlife though... The 5D has an outdated AF system and only 3 fps.

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

3Rotor
755 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Feb 15, 2017 10:07 |  #7

If you plan on taking photography courses, your current camera is plenty fine. It doesn't matter what camera body you bring to class. Entry level classes focus on shutter speed, aperture and ISO and the way they affect each other. Maybe they will touch on flash, more than likely not. Classes usually revolve around composition and the art of creating images. The "Exposure Triangle" is going to be the same whether you use your T5, 5DC or just about any other body. Just the button layouts and ergonomics will be different.

Many have already noted the pros and cons of switching to the 5DC and have made suggestions for other bodies. If you need speed for tracking wildlife and sports, the 5DC leaves a lot to be desired. Staying with a crop body will give you a bit more reach from your lenses as well.

Perhaps you can give us a budget and we can help you narrow down your upgrade even more?

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,002 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 15, 2017 10:08 |  #8

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a T5 (1200D), I sometimes feel like I've pushed it to it's limits and held back by it. So I'm wanting a 5D classic to have a professional grade, full frame, great image quality camera. I'd also like to take classes and get on the right track to take photography more seriously, I don't think bringing a 1200D to class is going to get the best out of it and I feel like the 5D is a step in the right direction but I have questions...

Just curious, what is it that is holding you back? The 5D in nearly every sense is much more primitive than the 1200D. Maybe a slight nod to IQ and it is full frame but other than that, it really has nothing better.

I shoot a lot of outdoor subjects. Mainly wildlife, sky, rockets, and occasionally sports.

The 5D offers nothing here to make life better. It is not known for it's ability to capture an image of a subject in motion.

Not really all that different. Think of it as a 1200D with a couple of features stripped out. Other than that, the interfaces are pretty much the same.

Is there shutter's available for these for when it wears out?.

If the shutter wears out (or anything else) it would probably be more cost effective to toss the camera and get another one. They are pretty cheap these days.

Would I be mistaken to spend $400 on one from a local photo and hobby shop? They don't have actuator count but can get it, they made sure it 'works' but did not check for dead pixels or clean the dust off the sensor or any other certifications...seems lazy to me.

If you really want it, offer $250 as is. Make sure it works.

Of course I'll be getting an L lens for it. Thinking 24-105 f4L.

Depending on what lenses you have, upgrading your current lens can make a bigger difference in IQ than a switch of bodies.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Feb 15, 2017 10:39 |  #9

If you're trying not to spend money and are interested in full frame, I recommend you go with a 5D Mk II. If you search, you can pick these up for not much more than a 5DC. With the Mk II, you'll get live view and video and, maybe most important, the ability to micro-adjust your lenses.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

DesolateMirror
Joined Oct 2015
Feb 15, 2017 11:34 |  #10

Unfortunately the prices for good a quality 5D with the mirror fix have been going up slowly here. Maybe people are collecting them or less people are selling them. $400 seems high. You might be better off buying from these forums/ebay (check the sold listings to see what they are going for).

That $400 is a decent chunk out of a newer camera, but there's a lot of pictures you could be taking while you save up the extra $.

Some used camera prices from ebay's sold listings:
5DC seems to be going for around $300 on ebay. (full frame)
5D II 500-600 (full frame)
6D 800-1000 (full frame)
7D 350-500 (crop)
7D II 800-1000 (crop)
80D 800-1000 (crop)

They're all decent choices for different reasons. I have no experience with 60d/70d or 600d/700d to be able to recommend them.

You have to remember the 5Dc is a really old camera, though it still produces amazing images (take a look at this thread: http://photography-on-the.net ...ad.php?t=1159990&pa​ge=679 ). You can't push the ISO as far as new cameras and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it just takes good photos. The AF is good on the center point but it might not be good enough for some fast sport/wildlife (depending on lens).

If you find a cheap one (300 or less) without dust/scratches on the sensor and has had the mirror fix go for it. It's a great stepping stone until you can afford a newer system.

TomCross
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 15, 2017 13:11 |  #11

Thank you for all of your insight's. I'm not getting a 5Dc or an L lens for a crop sensor. I might get a better efs lens. My original search had me looking for something that's too much of an investment and I'll feel the need to make $ with it to feel good about having it. The 5Dc and L lens was a compromise for $1000 budget. But not if the Rebel camera I have produces better dynamic range, large prints, better AF, etc...

The class is a mock wedding, I've been through standard classes, I should have mentioned. Would you guys take someone seriously going to an advanced class without a single digit D?

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Feb 15, 2017 13:25 |  #12

I'm old enough P.O.T.N. member to remember excellent weddings photographer from Alberta who has explained and show by his weeding work how 40D Canon could get the job done.
Your 1200D is as good as 40D, but even better.

Don't be stuck with old school approach, weddings photographers are switching to Leica M and Fuji X series cameras these days, not to mention Sony A7 series.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Feb 15, 2017 14:28 |  #13

TomCross wrote in post #18274580 (external link)
Would you guys take someone seriously going to an advanced class without a single digit D?

Absolutely.

In fact, if someone doesn't take you seriously based on the camera you use, then you should not take them seriously!

In a wedding photography class, the basis I would use to determine who to take seriously and who to not take seriously would have nothing to do with gear.

Rather, I would make such judgements based on their creative and compositional choices:

What point of view do they choose to take photos from? Are they always shooting from a comfortable standing-up position, or are they all over the place, physically - lying down, standing on a chair, leaning out of a window, etc, etc, etc?

What backgrounds are they aligning their subjects with?

Are they "seeing" opportunities to take advantage of ambient light, or are they fixated on their damn flashes?

Are they being creative, and coming up with unique things for the couple to do, so as to take advantage of some different opportunities, or are they just shooting the same old poses that everybody else shoots all the time?

These are the types of things that tell me whether I should take someone seriously or not. Gear has nothing at all to do with it. Be creative. Be an artist! And let your imagery speak for itself.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

TomCross
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 15, 2017 14:47 |  #14

Got it, thanks again.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,002 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Feb 15, 2017 15:06 |  #15

I completely agree with Tom. The body is probably the least important part of wedding photography especially a class teaching the techniques. A 1D series might be important to a pro that is shooting multiple weddings every weekend and needs reliability and something that can take the abuse of the job but any camera is totally capable of capturing just about any wedding shot you might want to get with the possible exception of shooting in extreme conditions. (near dark, under water wedding, while sky diving, etc). A decent large aperture lens would be much more useful.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

2,125 views & 10 likes for this thread
T5 to 5D Classic?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.